pool question

leighi123

I've been seeing stuff about non-potty trained kids not being allowed in the pool....

My son is 2, and is VERY small for his age (wears 12month size clothes), but he has been potty trained for #2 from the time he was 8months old and for #1 from the time he was 12months old (early I know, we did EC)

Are people going to give us flack for taking him swimming b/c he looks so tiny? (most people seem to not believe us when we say he is potty trained). He swims really well (no floats or anything) and loves the water, so Im thinking that will be one if his favorite activites.

I've been seeing stuff about non-potty trained kids not being allowed in the pool....

My son is 2, and is VERY small for his age (wears 12month size clothes), but he has been potty trained for #2 from the time he was 8months old and for #1 from the time he was 12months old (early I know, we did EC)

Are people going to give us flack for taking him swimming b/c he looks so tiny? (most people seem to not believe us when we say he is potty trained). He swims really well (no floats or anything) and loves the water, so Im thinking that will be one if his favorite activites.

This isn't really related to your question, but what is EC? And why did I not know about this system so paid for diapers until the age of 3!

Yep thats it.

Also you can do it part time, some peopel are super into it but I was too lazy for that (we started casually at 7months, I just stuck him on the potty at diaper changes, he was poop trained in a week!)

Cloth diapers help kids train a lot faster too, and are cheeper, better for the environment and better for your baby!

Anyway, I hope it wont be an issue, Im no good with confrontation, I was just concerned b/c at a public pool one time the staff made my son wear a diaper 6months after he had last worn one and he was not happy with that! It would be even worse to get kicked out of the pool!

He has already decided he wants to go on the flow rider and is convinced that he can do it.... sorry little man, maybe in a few years!

hey that's so cool- I did EC with my oldest- wore her in a sling and exclusively nursed- the twins were another matter- not as easy with two

I used to be defensive about comments people made, but by the time my oldest was two I was able to handle things better. Even helped a few think differently about more natural family choices.

Since people may feel the need to question you because they think it is a health hazard with a "baby" in the pool, you may have to answer them.

Something like "He is potty trained, thanks for asking"

Have a great cruise! Your little guy sounds wonderful

• 8 months later...

I was wondering what the OP's experience was on the ship. We EC, too. DD would be 15 months on the cruise we are looking at. She is also a small baby. She loves the pool and I would love to let her swim in it, but I don't want to cause any problems with the staff or other guests. She is not going to use the bathroom in the pool, but others don't know that and I don't want any issues. FWIW, we would probably go swim first thing in the morning so it hopefully wouldn't even be that crowded. (I am looking at Oasis if it makes a difference.) Any advice from anyone? Should we just skip the pool this trip to avoid any potential hassles?

I was wondering what the OP's experience was on the ship. We EC, too. DD would be 15 months on the cruise we are looking at. She is also a small baby. She loves the pool and I would love to let her swim in it, but I don't want to cause any problems with the staff or other guests. She is not going to use the bathroom in the pool, but others don't know that

I think you always have a potential problem anywhere with people who think they know better telling you what to do.

On a semi-related topic - can anyone tell me how chlorinated the pools are? And what do the ships do if there is a um, fecal event, in the pool? We'll be on the Diamond Princess in a couple of weeks (yay!), and we're hoping to spend lots of time in the pools.

On a semi-related topic - can anyone tell me how chlorinated the pools are? And what do the ships do if there is a um, fecal event, in the pool? We'll be on the Diamond Princess in a couple of weeks (yay!), and we're hoping to spend lots of time in the pools.

Most cruise ship pools are filled with filtered sea water.

If there is a fecal "tea-bag" event (the reason why it's a no-no to throw swim diapered kids in the pool), I would hope that the pool get closed, drained, disinfected, and re-filled... something that messes up the entire day on the pool deck.

Can you imagine the amount of potential sick people spreading e.coli around the buffet after a fecal "tea-bag" event?

Ugh.

I don't think Princess has any freshwater pools... Usually I read Disney and RCI for chlorinated pools.

edit:

I stand corrected: Princess does have freshwater pools.

Something I don't remember specifically about my cruise with the kids a few years ago aboard the Grand Princess.

:embarrassed:

Archived