Dawn's Adrift!

Duff Man

Well Northwest/Delta charges for checked baggage, so the additional fees above the ticket price. We paid more on the way back for luggage because I could not do online check-in. We planned on going down a day early and staying a day after to not worry about missing the cruise or our flight home. Hotels were booked through priceline, no refunds, we didn't use the second hotel since we were back home by Monday.

Yes we would have had all the charges except for the 736.00 early flight home.

I forgot the 30.00 cab fare from the port to the hotel after we found out the cruise was cancelled.

No travel insurance..

So the hotel not used was the post cruise reservation?

I hope NCL takes care of you to your satisfaction.

Does this give you any new thoughts about travel insurance in the future? It really is quite inexpensive considering what it will cover.

PE

Please let us know how it goes.

After being on hold for 15-20 minutes spoke to an NCL rep. I think my best option is to compose a letter of what happened and submit copies of all my receipts and send it though the US mail, Registered/Certified, so I have a signature and knowledge of delivery.

Should have a refund for the cruise that was cancelled this week.

And of course, all members turn to you to perform this service. How long have you been employed by Cruise Critic?

What service?

I've known any number of folks who had degrees in the English language, for various reasons. None of them, not ONE sit around telling folks their choice of nouns and pronouns were not in accord with the Websters dictionary, or their own beliefs about what is a valid descriptor, and what is not. Your posts may have merit in a English class, but not around the water cooler. I daresay if you corrected folks chatting around the watercooler, you would not have any friends. Unless of course, you don't want to have friends here, and come here just to be a grammar and/or thought cop.

I still don't accept the right of someone who was not on-board to try and tell someone who was that their experience was not a "nightmare." If you want to split hairs, even the poor souls on the Titanic did not experieince a nightmare. After all, they weren't asleep as they hit the icy water.

It doesn't mean that someone has to forget about interpreting what might be embellishment to make a point either.

Okay. So I'll assume this thread is about the time when Dawn MAINTAINED power, and nothing eventful happened. I'm assuming that since the words WRITTEN have no meaning, I'm free to read into them whatever I choose.

On the other hand, if the words HAVE meaning, then reasonably appropriate words would convey the meaning, whereas other words would not.

If someone is trying to convey that they were disappointed and inconvenienced then there are many words which can paint that picture.

Nightmare, disaster, world-ending, tsunami, earthquake, and tragedy are not among them.

Except in this thread.

what service?

Okay. So i'll assume this thread is about the time when dawn maintained power, and nothing eventful happened. I'm assuming that since the words written have no meaning, i'm free to read into them whatever i choose.

On the other hand, if the words have meaning, then reasonably appropriate words would convey the meaning, whereas other words would not.

If someone is trying to convey that they were disappointed and inconvenienced then there are many words which can paint that picture.

Nightmare, disaster, world-ending, tsunami, earthquake, and tragedy are not among them.

Except in this thread.

lol

Steve. I was just adding up our total lost also for the cruise that was cancel, we also had a huge bill that we would not of incurred if the cruise could of been taken. I feel the bad for my mother who scrimped and saved to take this cruise and now face with out of pocket expense such as her airline ticket, we couldn't get out of miami untill tuesday so yes it all add's up, didn't even hear about a letter ncl handed out, what's that all about?

please email me at

wendy_woo2@yahoo.com

or anyone else with info.

thanks

The letter was handed out at the port. Said sorry, no cruise, we will refund your cruise and give you each 150.00 to change your flights and will give you a hotel to stay in for the night.

We did also get food and I think they said they would cover cab fair.

What service?

Okay. So I'll assume this thread is about the time when Dawn MAINTAINED power, and nothing eventful happened. I'm assuming that since the words WRITTEN have no meaning, I'm free to read into them whatever I choose.

On the other hand, if the words HAVE meaning, then reasonably appropriate words would convey the meaning, whereas other words would not.

Except in this thread.

Amazing! (and since definitions seem to be required please note this was NOT meant as a positive exclamation.)

Wendy, Steve & anyone else involved....

I just called NCl and was told that we would be given $150 each toward a future NCL cruise. I'm still arguing over this with them because of the following:

When they called me the morning the cruise was cancelled (as I was driving to Miami, planning to stay in a hotel the night before the cruise) I was told that the cruise was cancelled and you will receive a complete refund of the $ you paid for the Dawn cruise and a 50% credit toward a future cruise (the 50% being based on what we paid for the Dawn cruise).

I also asked them for a letter or email stating that the cruise was actually cancelled so I can give this to my travel insurance company for a refund of my premium (this is what the insurance company request). The girl at NCL said she couldn't do this....ridiculous.

If anyone has a letter or email that they could send me about this cancellation I'd appreciate it.

If you received anything other than the $150 PP, please let me know who you spoke with. I'm getting nowhere with NCL.

bmjabber2@tampabay.rr.com

Amazing! (and since definitions seem to be required please note this was NOT meant as a positive exclamation.)

Okay. This was funny.

But seriously, I am dumbfounded (and no....that word is not hyphenated, on purpose!) that the meaning of words is not important to people who are reading & writing.

So please, enlighten me. Is it the font selection? Colour? British vs. American spelling? What is it that makes "disaster = inconvenience" become an acceptable equation?

This is not about spelling, or grammar, or even the difference between inconvenience, or any of the other thesaurus definitions such as:

Main Entry:inconveniencePart of Speech:nounDefinition:bother, troubleSynonyms:

aggravation, annoyance, awkwardness, bothersomeness, cumbersomeness, difficulty, disadvantage, disruption, disturbance, drawback, exasperation, fuss, hindrance, nuisance, pain*, stew, trial, troublesomeness, uneasiness, unfitness, unhandiness, unsuitableness, untimeliness, unwieldiness, upset, vexation

Any one of those would be reasonable. But 'disaster' just simply MEANS something entirely different.

It's a scale issue.... saying "I had to paint the whole house" when you actually only had to paint one room.....they are NOT the same thing, and when posters write them as if they were the same thing, they should not be surprised when people question their assertions.

I just called NCl and was told that we would be given $150 each toward a future NCL cruise. I'm still arguing over this with them because of the following:

When they called me the morning the cruise was cancelled (as I was driving to Miami, planning to stay in a hotel the night before the cruise) I was told that the cruise was cancelled and you will receive a complete refund of the $ you paid for the Dawn cruise and a 50% credit toward a future cruise (the 50% being based on what we paid for the Dawn cruise).

I also asked them for a letter or email stating that the cruise was actually cancelled so I can give this to my travel insurance company for a refund of my premium (this is what the insurance company request). The girl at NCL said she couldn't do this....ridiculous.

If anyone has a letter or email that they could send me about this cancellation I'd appreciate it.

If you received anything other than the $150 PP, please let me know who you spoke with. I'm getting nowhere with NCL.

If you are already aware, please ignore this post....

The 50% off is NOT 50% of the cost of your cruise...It won't be off of the total price...you will receive 50% off of the fare paid.

As a matter of fact, I would not be surprised if it was restricted to 50% of the commissionable portion of the fare paid...just like the various discounts are.

Please feel free to correct me if what I remember is incorrect.

I thought EACH PERSON who was booked was to get a 50% refund on Their portion of the fares (probably minus taxes and fees) so wouldn't each person get a seperate check?

Let me apologize in advance if I'm wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.):rolleyes:

Please feel free to correct me if what I remember is incorrect.

I thought EACH PERSON who was booked was to get a 50% refund on Their portion of the fares (probably minus taxes and fees) so wouldn't each person get a seperate check?

Let me apologize in advance if I'm wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.):rolleyes:

The poster you responed to wasn't on the ship...they were on the following cruise that was also cancelled.

NCL is refunding 100% of what they paid for the cancelled trip. (Fare, Taxes & Fees, and pre-paid DSC if any).

NCL is also giving an amount off of another cruise before 12/31/10 equal to 50% of the FARE that they paid toward the cancelled cruise. This will just be a discounted amount, so no check will need to be issued.

The poster you responed to wasn't on the ship...they were on the following cruise that was also cancelled.

NCL is refunding 100% of what they paid for the cancelled trip. (Fare, Taxes & Fees, and pre-paid DSC if any).

NCL is also giving an amount off of another cruise before 12/31/10 equal to 50% of the FARE that they paid toward the cancelled cruise. This will just be a discounted amount, so no check will need to be issued.

Ah,sorry.Thanks for straightening me out. My bad. :o

tbmrt--

This is what NCL is in the process of doing (and has done so far for me-- I was supposed to be on the Dawn on 11-29 with you all Barbara!)

- 100% refund of cruise fare paid- credited to the original form of payment

- $150 credit for airfare change fees or add'l costs incurred due to cancellation of cruise

- Agent also said to submit hotel receipts incurred- customer service will review these claims as well and will likely reimburse

- 50% credit toward your next cruise on NCL- to be used within the next year. This is based on the BASE cruise price paid (not gov't fees and taxes) for the cruise on the Dawn- this will be credited on EACH person's latitudes number that was cruising. Example, your cruise total for everyone was $5600.00-- minus taxes/fees, was $5000.00.... Guest#1 cruise fare was $2500.00 and Guest #2 cruise fare was $2500.00. Each person (on their latitudes number) will get a $1250.00 credit for their next cruise. Guests #3, #4, #5 etc will get a very small amount (like $75.00-$150.00, depending on what the add'l person cruise fare orginally paid was)

- This 50% credit has already been credited to each person's lattitudes number (as of today when I called).... the refund for the cruise was processed on Dec. 2nd and should be showing on your credit card by thid Thursday, per customer service.

As for your airfare/ hotel refunds, fax the receipts to NCL customer service at # 305-436-4108

NCL customer relations telephone number is 866-625-1164

I also emailed you the cancellation letter I received- so you can give to your insurance carrier.

I hope this helps...please let me know if I can help out further!!

Best of luck,

Pete

tbmrt--

This is what NCL is in the process of doing (and has done so far for me-- I was supposed to be on the Dawn on 11-29 with you all Barbara!)

- 100% refund of cruise fare paid- credited to the original form of payment

- $150 credit for airfare change fees or add'l costs incurred due to cancellation of cruise

- Agent also said to submit hotel receipts incurred- customer service will review these claims as well and will likely reimburse

- 50% credit toward your next cruise on NCL- to be used within the next year. This is based on the BASE cruise price paid (not gov't fees and taxes) for the cruise on the Dawn- this will be credited on EACH person's latitudes number that was cruising. Example, your cruise total for everyone was $5600.00-- minus taxes/fees, was $5000.00.... Guest#1 cruise fare was $2500.00 and Guest #2 cruise fare was $2500.00. Each person (on their latitudes number) will get a $1250.00 credit for their next cruise. Guests #3, #4, #5 etc will get a very small amount (like $75.00-$150.00, depending on what the add'l person cruise fare orginally paid was)

- This 50% credit has already been credited to each person's lattitudes number (as of today when I called).... the refund for the cruise was processed on Dec. 2nd and should be showing on your credit card by thid Thursday, per customer service.

As for your airfare/ hotel refunds, fax the receipts to NCL customer service at # 305-436-4108

NCL customer relations telephone number is 866-625-1164

I also emailed you the cancellation letter I received- so you can give to your insurance carrier.

I hope this helps...please let me know if I can help out further!!

Best of luck,

Pete

Great post SDTraveler. I'm sure it will be a big help for anyone still trying to work things out. Hope it all works out for you.:)

WOW! I never thought I would be the OP of a thread this long! This is the first I've been able to get back to CC since we got home. :(

Some very random thoughts on some things mentioned in this thread, it's been hard to keep track of:

First, again, thanks to all who gave well wishes or kind words. PE, et. al., I wish you were at the tiki bar to buy me drinks. The prices in South Beach make ship prices seem like bargain basement! :D

I try to keep a positive approach. I am a firm believe in karma. For example, I didn't mention before that when we checked in at the airport in San Juan, we were offered an upgrade by AA to first class for $70. On a totally full plane. Nice! :)

Speaking of karma, DW is getting worried. We were at the Bellagio in Vegas a few years ago when they had the power failure for 4-5 days. Hmmmm. !?!?

One of my biggest disappointements about the abrupt ending was not getting to say good bye to people we had become friends with. :(

I completely agree with almost every comment given by pieshops. ;) I feel bad for those on the subsequent cruises who got canceled. To me, that is worse than us getting cut short.

Don't be hard on those who were on this cruise and have vented here. Everyone has a differernt situation. I happen to be one of those people who take charge and immediately start planning out the scenario. As you know, I was on my laptop and my cell phone within minutes of the announcement that we were going to San Juan, as I wasn't going to take the chance of being stuck on board for an extended period. Not everyone is in position to do that, particularly if traveling with family members. I have a lot of sympathy for those who were stuck on the Dawn until Sunday (or, apparently, longer).

The comments about communication to the pax after Friday have been well documented, and probably mostly accurate. The thing is, I don't think there was info to give out by the staff. I will add that it is confusing to me that pax were stuck on the ship until Sunday. When NCL announced that they were arranging for flights and hotel rooms, I assumed that meant hotel rooms in San Juan on Saturday night if they could not get you out until Sunday. :confused:

Venting in this thread is one thing, but giving incorrect facts isn't right. Pieshops pointed out the flaws in Red Dawn's comments. I don't remember the Captain ever saying there was back up power to "run the ship". Emergency power yes. To keep us in a safe condition, yes. But he never said back up power to sail normally as the poster suggests. Also, I don't agree that pax were not allowed off the ship. They announced that IF you left the ship, you would not be allowed back on. We walked off at 9:55 a.m. on Saturday. There was NOBODY on the 4th floor when we went down. We were asked why we were attempting to leave (since they had made an announcement not to leave the ship because too many people were packing the 4th floor), but, when we said we had arranged our own flights, it was no problem. Also, when I mentioned we were going to try and get a taxi, they put us on the bus to the aiport instead, with others who had booked their own flights.

Some people have questioned, maybe in jest, the complaints about the heat and no a/c. Believe me, you are totally understimating just how warm/hot it was on ship - even with balconies. I do not think anyone is exagerating. At 8:00 a.m. on Saturday morning, while simply packing and wearing only shorts, I never have sweat so much in my life (and that includes college summer jobs like mowing lawns by hand or working in a very hot factory without any air conditioning). Just standing, sweat would roll off. It's not like you could do something about it. Sure, we are spoiled, but even people who live in the tropics without a/c can do things to cool themselves!

Similarly, it was no joke about there not being "enough food on a cruise". The problem isn't food, its keeping food refrigerated. A server in Venetian said she had never seen a mechanical issue so bad where they had trouble keeping food. Also, without power they had trouble making fresh water. Hence, the problem with doing laundry.

Someone mentioned no a/c on Thursday night. I don't remember that at all. We had dinner at Cagneys, hit some bars, and ended up in the casino playing craps until about 2:30 a.m. Seemed cool to me. Speaking of the casino, I could NOT believe how many people were playing in the casino on Friday night when it was very hot (and I don't mean the tables!).

We were not charged the service charge for that Saturday. However, IMO, the staff still deserved it. We made sure to cash tip our servers in the Venetian on Friday night. I felt so bad for them, but they kept their smiles and did their best to make us comfortable. I also tipped our steward extra for his excellent work. He was very, very appreciative.

Speaking of tips, did anyone else still tip their butler and the concierge? I made sure that on Friday night I sought out Anoop so that I would not miss him. He did a wonderful job for us, and every night he would follow up by checking on us at dinner in the speciatly restaurants. When I handed him our thank you envelope, he sheepishly said he was embarassed. Nonsense, I said, you still provided excellent service to us.

Speaking of service, Hugo is everything that PE say he is (not that I doubted you!) and more. We met him at the Captain's cocktail party at the beginning of the cruise. I told him that I had heard very good things "on line" about him and his staff. I didn't think much about it when he asked our cabin number, but the next morning our butler delivered a card providing us with a complimentary dinner at a speciatly restaurant, with wine! We ate at specialty restaurants each night, and Hugo stopped by to chat with us several times. You can tell he generally cares about the passengers.

richras, very nice, fair letter.

I hope this about wraps up this thread. In the end, I agree that we could not call the trip a nightmare. We have just called it, . . . interesting!

Peace,

DM

Well said, Duff Man. (Sorry you didn't make it to our Meet & Greet)

We arrived home last Friday (Dec 4th) night and I have only read a small part of this thread but feel that some sentiments and comments were "way overboard" and others simply incorrect (as you also pointed out).

While others may have had worse experiences, for us the whole thing was a very tiring "inconvenience" - at no time did we feel unsafe; I believe the communications from both Captain and Cruise Director (which was translated into German and later also into Spanish) were sufficient under the circumstances. Problem is that in some areas of the ship the loudspeakers may have been hard to hear, especially as people tend to continue with their own talking at the same time. We spent a fair amount of the time in question in our cabin/balcony (yes, I know we were among the lucky ones ...) and thus did not miss any announcements.

Having the fabulous Anoop advise us of which charter flight we were listed on, certainly helped as well.

I agree that the crew did a splendid job under very difficult conditions. We too would have liked to say goodbye to a few people and also pack without haste (on Friday night without aircon - and then only leave the ship Saturday night).

Felt quite sorry for those who expected to board the Dawn on Sunday in Miami only to find their cruise had been canceled - we had been to all our ports of call (with great weather).

well i already used my 50% off next cruise credit to book an extra cruise for the year, we are doing the spirit out of New Orleans, booked an inside cabin and the whole cruise is costing us $210 ( port charges and taxes), thank you NCL

WOW! I never thought I would be the OP of a thread this long! This is the first I've been able to get back to CC since we got home. :(

Some very random thoughts on some things mentioned in this thread, it's been hard to keep track of:

First, again, thanks to all who gave well wishes or kind words. PE, et. al., I wish you were at the tiki bar to buy me drinks. The prices in South Beach make ship prices seem like bargain basement! :D

I try to keep a positive approach. I am a firm believe in karma. For example, I didn't mention before that when we checked in at the airport in San Juan, we were offered an upgrade by AA to first class for $70. On a totally full plane. Nice! :)

Speaking of karma, DW is getting worried. We were at the Bellagio in Vegas a few years ago when they had the power failure for 4-5 days. Hmmmm. !?!?

One of my biggest disappointements about the abrupt ending was not getting to say good bye to people we had become friends with. :(

I completely agree with almost every comment given by pieshops. ;) I feel bad for those on the subsequent cruises who got canceled. To me, that is worse than us getting cut short.

Don't be hard on those who were on this cruise and have vented here. Everyone has a differernt situation. I happen to be one of those people who take charge and immediately start planning out the scenario. As you know, I was on my laptop and my cell phone within minutes of the announcement that we were going to San Juan, as I wasn't going to take the chance of being stuck on board for an extended period. Not everyone is in position to do that, particularly if traveling with family members. I have a lot of sympathy for those who were stuck on the Dawn until Sunday (or, apparently, longer).

The comments about communication to the pax after Friday have been well documented, and probably mostly accurate. The thing is, I don't think there was info to give out by the staff. I will add that it is confusing to me that pax were stuck on the ship until Sunday. When NCL announced that they were arranging for flights and hotel rooms, I assumed that meant hotel rooms in San Juan on Saturday night if they could not get you out until Sunday. :confused:

Venting in this thread is one thing, but giving incorrect facts isn't right. Pieshops pointed out the flaws in Red Dawn's comments. I don't remember the Captain ever saying there was back up power to "run the ship". Emergency power yes. To keep us in a safe condition, yes. But he never said back up power to sail normally as the poster suggests. Also, I don't agree that pax were not allowed off the ship. They announced that IF you left the ship, you would not be allowed back on. We walked off at 9:55 a.m. on Saturday. There was NOBODY on the 4th floor when we went down. We were asked why we were attempting to leave (since they had made an announcement not to leave the ship because too many people were packing the 4th floor), but, when we said we had arranged our own flights, it was no problem. Also, when I mentioned we were going to try and get a taxi, they put us on the bus to the aiport instead, with others who had booked their own flights.

Some people have questioned, maybe in jest, the complaints about the heat and no a/c. Believe me, you are totally understimating just how warm/hot it was on ship - even with balconies. I do not think anyone is exagerating. At 8:00 a.m. on Saturday morning, while simply packing and wearing only shorts, I never have sweat so much in my life (and that includes college summer jobs like mowing lawns by hand or working in a very hot factory without any air conditioning). Just standing, sweat would roll off. It's not like you could do something about it. Sure, we are spoiled, but even people who live in the tropics without a/c can do things to cool themselves!

Similarly, it was no joke about there not being "enough food on a cruise". The problem isn't food, its keeping food refrigerated. A server in Venetian said she had never seen a mechanical issue so bad where they had trouble keeping food. Also, without power they had trouble making fresh water. Hence, the problem with doing laundry.

Someone mentioned no a/c on Thursday night. I don't remember that at all. We had dinner at Cagneys, hit some bars, and ended up in the casino playing craps until about 2:30 a.m. Seemed cool to me. Speaking of the casino, I could NOT believe how many people were playing in the casino on Friday night when it was very hot (and I don't mean the tables!).

We were not charged the service charge for that Saturday. However, IMO, the staff still deserved it. We made sure to cash tip our servers in the Venetian on Friday night. I felt so bad for them, but they kept their smiles and did their best to make us comfortable. I also tipped our steward extra for his excellent work. He was very, very appreciative.

Speaking of tips, did anyone else still tip their butler and the concierge? I made sure that on Friday night I sought out Anoop so that I would not miss him. He did a wonderful job for us, and every night he would follow up by checking on us at dinner in the speciatly restaurants. When I handed him our thank you envelope, he sheepishly said he was embarassed. Nonsense, I said, you still provided excellent service to us.

Speaking of service, Hugo is everything that PE say he is (not that I doubted you!) and more. We met him at the Captain's cocktail party at the beginning of the cruise. I told him that I had heard very good things "on line" about him and his staff. I didn't think much about it when he asked our cabin number, but the next morning our butler delivered a card providing us with a complimentary dinner at a speciatly restaurant, with wine! We ate at specialty restaurants each night, and Hugo stopped by to chat with us several times. You can tell he generally cares about the passengers.

richras, very nice, fair letter.

I hope this about wraps up this thread. In the end, I agree that we could not call the trip a nightmare. We have just called it, . . . interesting!

Peace,

DM

Duff Man....

Great post!

I'm glad to see you're back and everything worked out (all things considered).

Just one note on your post. You said "Don't be hard on those who were on this cruise and have vented here.". While I do understand what you mean, I believe that I (and others) don't really mind people that "vent" or even "complain" when it is called for. The real problem are the people who insist on blowing everything way out of proportion...basically, they are "drama queens". I just think people are tired of all of the little drama queens and their "me, me, me" attitudes.

BTW...I am definately NOT referring to you in the above paragraph!

Words are all we have on a message board. I have to agree they are important.

I try to keep a positive approach. I am a firm believe in karma.

In the end, I agree that we could not call the trip a nightmare. We have just called it, . . . interesting!

Peace,

DM

Again, It is my wish that if I ever have any type of 'situation' on a ship, that I am sailing with passengers like you and Pieshops. Taking a very uncomfortable situation and making it more tolerable is priceless IMO.

You can't put a price, in the form of compenastion or in any form, on this. :) Some people require smooth sailing, (I mean that metaphorically) some people desire retribution if their sailing isn't smooth. Some of us, in all situations just require calm and peace...no matter the obstacles.

While others may have had worse experiences, for us the whole thing was a very tiring "inconvenience" - at no time did we feel unsafe;

Felt quite sorry for those who expected to board the Dawn on Sunday in Miami only to find their cruise had been canceled - we had been to all our ports of call (with great weather).

What I said above goes for you as well Boeckli :)

well i already used my 50% off next cruise credit to book an extra cruise for the year, we are doing the spirit out of New Orleans, booked an inside cabin and the whole cruise is costing us $210 ( port charges and taxes), thank you NCL

Congratulations :D. Usually when people are going off on a cruise, I wish them blue skies and calm seas. I'll add 'full electic power' to that list for you!! :)

Boeckli - glad to hear that you are finally back home - was wondering how you were coping with this "nightmare from hell cruise".

From your positive post sounds like you coped quite well.

Cheers - hope to one day to be able to cruise you two again.

Dennis

Archived