Why is the Ecstasy at the dock backwards???

Puddleshuttle

All these CCL ships; Fantasy, Sensation, Pride, and Dream pull straight in and turn around when leaving. But the Glory backs in. RCCL always backs in, sometimes using the same pier that CCL uses. The SOS, MOS, MaOS, FOS, and last Tuesday's VOS all back in.

NCL Dawn & Gem pull straight in and both Disney's backs in. It's the same west turning basin that's used by all of the ships.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It could be any of a variety of reasons... The last time they docked 'backward' they had a medical emergency to get off the ship. On other occasions the wind has been too strong to allow the ship to turn with the thrusters alone and would have required the assistance of tugs.

Additionally, if they're running a touch late the will often dock with the port side to the pier just to save time...

:)

• 2 weeks later...

As a pax. I would rather the ships turn around in the afternoon. When I'm on RCCL I always get up early to watch the ship turn. It's exciting to me. The FOS misses the pier by less than 20ft. The Dream is here now and is again aft seaward, so will get to see it turn this afternoon. While On-Board!!

We leave today on the Ecstasy. When we checked out galveston.com we saw that she had her rump in the wrong direction! Anyone know what is going on??? I hope there is not a problem....

There is no backwards at a dock [unless the aft end is tied to the dock] Ports tell ships how to dock, ships tell ports how they want to dock [need to paint a side etc,] and many ports have turning basins, the ship can pull in and dock and turn around in the basin when it leaves or it can come in to the port, go to the turning basin and turn around before docking. Home ports they usually dock the same way but not always. Ports on the itinerary they change the docking all the time.

Why would anyone think that just because the ship backed in that that meant there is a problem ?

Perhaps the captain had to practice up on his "back up" skills !

True he may like it backwards from time to time to keep things interesting

Archived