MDR question

mondas42

I'll add to that - kids may pick and choose items off of either menu. You might be surprised that your kids have more sophisticated tastes than you've given them credit for, and this is a good time to let them try different things since you're not paying for individual items - if they don't like something, they can get something else. Portion sizes in the MDR are fairly small anyway, so no issue with that. Adults may also order items from the kids' menu if they wish - the chicken noodle soup is really good.

Just want to add that your experience in the MDR can be vastly different depending on your head waiter. We have taken 9 cruises with some or all of our kids, 7 on RCCL. If, on your first night, your head waiter is not kid friendly, see your maitre d' afterwards and request a change. Believe me, it will be worth it. There are many, many head waiters who absolutely adore kids. I once had one complain, sadly, that he had no wee ones in his section on one particular cruise. We've had fabulous service on all but one RCCL cruise (that's the one on which I requested a change). We've had everything from magic tricks to special artwork each evening. Since it's your vacation, which you probably really need and paid a good bit for, feel free to ask them to help you in any way they can. I do this each time and we also tip them heavily. Seems that when you ask for exra help they really step up to the plate. Everyone has fun, you get to eat without worry and they get a little extra cash.

As far as choices and kid menus I've had a few waiters say they are out of kids menus or couldn't find one, etc. But they will cook anything.

Our kids pick things from all over the menu

Just want to add that your experience in the MDR can be vastly different depending on your head waiter. We have taken 9 cruises with some or all of our kids, 7 on RCCL. If, on your first night, your head waiter is not kid friendly, see your maitre d' afterwards and request a change. Believe me, it will be worth it. There are many, many head waiters who absolutely adore kids. I once had one complain that he had no wee ones in his section on one particular cruise. Some of them miss their own kids and it makes them happy to see others. We've had fabulous service on all but one RCCL cruise (that's the one on which I requested a change). We've had everything from magic tricks to special artwork each evening. Since it's your vacation, which you probably really need and paid a good bit for, feel free to ask them to help you in any way they can. I do this each time and we also tip them heavily. Seems that when you ask for exra help they really step up to the plate. Everyone has fun, you get to eat without worry and they get a little extra cash.

As far as choices and kid menus I've had a few waiters say they are out of kids menus or couldn't find one, etc. But they will cook anything.

Our kids pick things from all over the menu

That is so true. Our kids fell in LOVE with our waiter, "Mr Frank", and his assistant "Mr George" aka "the apple juice guy". And vice versa! They were both wonderful with my kids, and Frank gave them a special "riddle" to solve every night and bring back the answer the next night! He saw us the day we were disembarking from across the crowded dining room at breakfast and ran over to kiss both kids on the tops of their heads, he was that sweet with them. I hope we get a waiter that wonderful this cruise!

Archived