Restaurant with view of Port Everglades?

joand452

We'll be in Fort Lauderdale the Sunday before our cruise departs. We'd like to head down to the port that dayin order to see Oasis of the Seas (yeah, yeah I know all your opinions of this ship; we still want to see her and maybe even sail her) sailaway. Nothing rowdy, since we'll be inviting DH's elderly uncle and not-so-elderly aunt to join us.

We'll have a car, so that won't be an issue.

Thanks,

...in order to see Oasis of the Seas (yeah, yeah I know all your opinions of this ship; we still want to see her and maybe even sail her)...

Sorry, I forgot I was on a general board and not on the Princess board! :o :D

Is there somewhere we can park the car to get out and watch?

The Oasis is docked at pier 18. If security will allow you into the port, you could drive up an might see something past the terminal. You could park your car at one of the businesses on SE 17th St and view the rear of the Oasis from the bridge, but it is in the distance. Honestly, it doesn't look noticably different from any of the other RCCL ships, except that it appears to have a sail on the back (that is the covering of the ampitheatre). If the Oasis is sailing the day that you will be in, you can view the sailaway (at a small distance) from John Lloyd park beach in Dania, just south of the port.

The Oasis is docked at pier 18. If security will allow you into the port, you could drive up an might see something past the terminal. You could park your car at one of the businesses on SE 17th St and view the rear of the Oasis from the bridge, but it is in the distance. Honestly, it doesn't look noticably different from any of the other RCCL ships, except that it appears to have a sail on the back (that is the covering of the ampitheatre). If the Oasis is sailing the day that you will be in, you can view the sailaway (at a small distance) from John Lloyd park beach in Dania, just south of the port.

Isn't Port Everglades going to be open to the public this weekend so everyone can see the Oasis? I think I read that somewhere recently??

Isn't Port Everglades going to be open to the public this weekend so everyone can see the Oasis? I think I read that somewhere recently??

I highly doubt that the port will ever be "open" again. In addition to being a very active cruise port, Port Everglades is one of the primary entry points for oil deliveries for Florida. With all of the oil storage tanks, etc. I doubt the Department of Homeland Security will allow people into the port simply to sightsee a new cruise ship.

The Port only offered that for 1 day. This time of year (gets dark early) the only place you can see the Oasis arrive/depart. The state park is closed when the Oasis leaves because it is dark outside.

THE BEST WAY TO SEE THE OASIS OF THE SEAS IS FROM THE WATER OR WALK UP THE 17TH STREET CAUSEWAY BRIDGE (parking available at the bottom of the bridge). WE REGRET THAT THERE IS NO PUBLIC ACCESS FOR SIGHTSEEING AT PORT EVERGLADES.

I highly doubt that the port will ever be "open" again. In addition to being a very active cruise port, Port Everglades is one of the primary entry points for oil deliveries for Florida. With all of the oil storage tanks, etc. I doubt the Department of Homeland Security will allow people into the port simply to sightsee a new cruise ship.

Actually, it was open to the public on Friday, November 27th.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-oasis-viewing-20091123,0,1855726.story

Archived