Higher rates Jan. 23: What's the deal?

jp45atcc

Ever since I booked a Jan. 23 cruise on Celebrity Mercury from Baltimore, I've wondered about the rates on that date - and the apparant popularity of this particular cruise. Is there some significance that I'm missing? By booking early, we got good rates. Since then, it's been up, up, up (I think). This just the nature of the business, or is there another reason I'm overlooking?

Hi,

You're right on both counts: yes, it's the nature of the business as rates follow demand ( yield management ) and they would probably collapse a bit within approximately 40-30 days prior, but will go up as initial demand fills up the space.

and yes: there is the ''other reason'' : correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect that time window is President's day week-end ??

The other overriding factor: those cruises out of Baltimore ( and Charleston later in the winter) on MERCURY have been extremely well received by the cruising population in general and Celebrity's afficionados in particular.

You were well advised to '' book early'' as you now realize rates are pushing up and yours is protected. As well, if they go down below what you've paid, you'll benefit from the line's price protection and get a '' liquid refund'' in the form of an Onboard Credit ( a.k.a.;;OBC).

A ''win-win''scenario.

Cheers

Enjoy your cruise. She's a great ship.

Hi,

You're right on both counts: yes, it's the nature of the business as rates follow demand ( yield management ) and they would probably collapse a bit within approximately 40-30 days prior, but will go up as initial demand fills up the space.

and yes: there is the ''other reason'' : correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect that time window is President's day week-end ??

The other overriding factor: those cruises out of Baltimore ( and Charleston later in the winter) on MERCURY have been extremely well received by the cruising population in general and Celebrity's afficionados in particular.

You were well advised to '' book early'' as you now realize rates are pushing up and yours is protected. As well, if they go down below what you've paid, you'll benefit from the line's price protection and get a '' liquid refund'' in the form of an Onboard Credit ( a.k.a.;;OBC).

A ''win-win''scenario.

Cheers

President's week is in February. Don't know what January 23rd would be. MLK is on the 18th and that is only 1 day.

We are on the cruise before you. We booked early too. The rates have gone up dramatically and most cats even sold out months ago (although cabins opened up after final payment date). The roll call has been relatively small which made we wonder if a group had booked, but I think it is more likely due to the fact that these cruises out of Baltimore are capturing new people and the popularity has driven the prices up.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Ever since I booked a Jan. 23 cruise on Celebrity Mercury from Baltimore, I've wondered about the rates on that date - and the apparant popularity of this particular cruise. Is there some significance that I'm missing? By booking early, we got good rates. Since then, it's been up, up, up (I think). This just the nature of the business, or is there another reason I'm overlooking?

Supply & Demand.....:):):)

Bob

Hi,

A ''win-win''scenario.

Cheers

Bob

Hey C-Legs - good to see you here and Woobstr112G - I am so glad we live in South Florida where during season we can have 20 ships going out over a weekend. We actually wait (as air is not an issue) to see the prices fall and/or to get a last minute deal... sorry about your dilema..

I prefer my problem..:p

Neil

Bob

I agree.

X had very low prices for our Nov.9th 12 night Mercury cruise as long as you weren't looking for a balcony cabin, which Mercury have very few of since it an older design of ship. The fact that the 9 night cruise leaves on a Sat. would help boost it's popularity where as the 12 night leave on a Monday thus most would require two weeks off from work to do it if they weren't retired like many were on our cruise. Also the fact that Baltimore is in the very populated NE section of the USA helps boost the demand on this cruise. I know most on our roll call drove to get to the port. We were considering the Nov.30 twelve night cruise until I spotted the pricing for the Nov. 9th one we did. We also had that flexibility since we also drove to the port.

Hi,

A ''win-win''scenario.

Cheers

No, not President's Day.

Baltimore is always an expensive departure port. No competition there... among other factors.

Neil-We also live in South Florida; and, our experience has been to book early to get a preferred cabin. I suppose that if someone was satisfied with an inner cabin then your scenario might work. As a matter of fact, our AQ on Friday's cruise only declined by $100.00; and, at that time, there were only two or three available. Additionally, our March cruise on the Ruby for a mini suite only went up; and, our AA cabin was $1,500.00, more than we paid at the time of final payment. Our Radiance out of Tampa next October virtually sold out in the better cabin category within two or three days. Also, I anticipate that there will be no significant fare reductions in our 14 night cruise on the Constellation next December insofar as the CC (C-1) cabins are concerned, since there are only four or five left.

Neil-We also live in South Florida; and, our experience has been to book early to get a preferred cabin. I suppose that if someone was satisfied with an inner cabin then your scenario might work. As a matter of fact, our AQ on Friday's cruise only declined by $100.00; and, at that time, there were only two or three available. Additionally, our March cruise on the Ruby for a mini suite only went up; and, our AA cabin was $1,500.00, more than we paid at the time of final payment. Our Radiance out of Tampa next October virtually sold out in the better cabin category within two or three days. Also, I anticipate that there will be no significant fare reductions in our 14 night cruise on the Constellation next December insofar as the CC (C-1) cabins are concerned, since there are only four or five left.

Jackdiamond - I agree if you want a specific cabin, that is fine and you should book early, but after a number of cruises under our belts we have seen those prices generally plummet. Also, we can tell when we look at the schematics (as they only show you 7 available cabins max.) by the location of those cabins that the ship is either really busy or really empty.

The cruise industry right now is having major issues and that is why there are so many good deals out there. Also, many times people put down money and cancel before the deadline throwing many cabins back in the fray. Also, you have large wholesalers buying up blocks of cabins and discounting them. Even our regular TA agrees that she tries to sell cabins early (a year ahead) and then there are numerous promotions because the cruise- lines can't move cabins and she has to go back and re-book everyone. It is always a crapshoot -- but as an example, we just got a 2B Balcony on Millennium (10 day cruise) with air included from Miami and $125 SBC and includes tax for approx 1,200PP (through an internet wholesaler we have used several times). We waited until this came up; we originally had an outside Guarantee for 1,100PP. I still do believe it pays $$$ to wait. :)

Neil

Very interesting. Is the 2B the smaller balcony cabin? Also, could you furnish the date of your cruise? Also, I have always wondered about the schematics wherein they only show 7 cabins. What is the significance of that scenario?

Thank you for your anticipated reply. Who knows, maybe we have been doing it wrong.

Jackdiamond - I agree if you want a specific cabin, that is fine and you should book early, but after a number of cruises under our belts we have seen those prices generally plummet. Also, we can tell when we look at the schematics (as they only show you 7 available cabins max.) by the location of those cabins that the ship is either really busy or really empty.

The cruise industry right now is having major issues and that is why there are so many good deals out there. Also, many times people put down money and cancel before the deadline throwing many cabins back in the fray. Also, you have large wholesalers buying up blocks of cabins and discounting them. Even our regular TA agrees that she tries to sell cabins early (a year ahead) and then there are numerous promotions because the cruise- lines can't move cabins and she has to go back and re-book everyone. It is always a crapshoot -- but as an example, we just got a 2B Balcony on Millennium (10 day cruise) with air included from Miami and $125 SBC and includes tax for approx 1,200PP (through an internet wholesaler we have used several times). We waited until this came up; we originally had an outside Guarantee for 1,100PP. I still do believe it pays $$$ to wait. :)

Neil

Doesn't this cruise leave out of San Juan? If so, that's why your price was so reasonable. Leaving out of Baltimore will be much more costly than San Juan. We were lucky to do the 11 night repo out of Bayonne last year in a CC aft cabin for $1400/pp (included all taxes and fees and an OBC). That was a bargain. Cruises out of San Juan are notoriously lower priced than those leaving out of other US ports.

I find it strange that our 12/21 Mercury 2A out of Baltimore has dropped several times since we booked in April - and there are still cabins left - including several CCs. I always thought that the holiday cruises were booked up way in advance. I think the rates for our cruise wound up lower than the off-season.

j

Neil-I assumed that the cruise to which you referred to was Dec. 7, out of San Juan. It has a very nice itinerary, but, as of now, all balconies are on wait list; and, the small balcony cabin to which you allude is 2800 plus. That is still a nice price if you live in San Juan.

Neil-I assumed that the cruise to which you referred to was Dec. 7, out of San Juan. It has a very nice itinerary, but, as of now, all balconies are on wait list; and, the small balcony cabin to which you allude is 2800 plus. That is still a nice price if you live in San Juan.

Very interesting. Is the 2B the smaller balcony cabin? Also, could you furnish the date of your cruise? Also, I have always wondered about the schematics wherein they only show 7 cabins. What is the significance of that scenario?

Thank you for your anticipated reply. Who knows, maybe we have been doing it wrong.

Jackdiamond: The cruise that we are going on is the 3/26/10 (Millie 10 day); it is actually Easter week. They actaully gave us the air from Miami for $0 and two of my family members got the air to San Juan for $100PP extra from NYC. They also gave a SBC of $125 and took our Celebrity coupon for $75 and you don't have to live in San Juan. :)

The balcony is average size 38 Ft. If you go to some of the on-line cruise websites they show a maximum of 7 cabins avaialbe per category level. They obvioulsly don't want to show you the entire ship is available. In the 7 shown, they show you the "best available" and after you have been cruising a while you can tell by the location, that the ship is empty if the best rooms are available in multiple categories.

I hope that clarifies this issue. Sorry if was a bit cryptic.

Neil

Doesn't this cruise leave out of San Juan? If so, that's why your price was so reasonable. Leaving out of Baltimore will be much more costly than San Juan. We were lucky to do the 11 night repo out of Bayonne last year in a CC aft cabin for $1400/pp (included all taxes and fees and an OBC). That was a bargain. Cruises out of San Juan are notoriously lower priced than those leaving out of other US ports.

Jerseygirl3 - Girl - You need to get out of New Jersey :p those fumes are awful -- and get that cruise out of San Juan with all the bells and whistles...

You are correct it is much more expensive out of the Northeast ports, but if you can catch a deal like I did (and I am limited time wise, as a teacher) it is worth it to fly. There are some super deals out there -- my advice-- shop around with reliable on-line wholesaler TA's. We have gotten deals (that my brick and mortar TA could not match) in the summer to Europe out of Miami to the W. Med. with a new ship, balcony cabin, R/T air and transfers for $1,699PP and we stayed 4 extra days in Barcelona and the base trip came to $2,100PP which is fantastic. Last year, we did N. Europe and Russia on Celebrity for $1,999PP RT Air from Miami, Transfers and Gratuities included..:eek:

Good luck and don't give up...

Neil

Thank you Neil,

I had often wondered about those seven cabins; and, now you have enlightened me. Additionally, we have not received our Captains Club mag. for quite some time; which, I would guess is where you obtained the $75.00, coupon.

Jackdiamond - Good, I am glad I cleared things up a little. Yes, those coupons came from the Captains Club Magazine from some time ago...

Happy Sailing..:)

Neil

Archived