Taking alcohol onboard?

bfoxey1949

Has anyone ever been denied boarding ship if you have alcohol in packed luggage and they find it? I know you can carry on 1 bottle of wine. Thank you for help.

If booze is discovered, most lines will take the bottle and lock it away, and return it to you when the cruise is over. I have heard that some folks had it taken and not returned. But I've never heard of anyone being denied boarding.

With Carnival, if booze is found, they will confiscate and discard it without compensation. They probably won't deny boarding. However, their passenger ticket contract to which we all agree gives them plenty of latitude. Here, from their website:

Can I bring liquor on board?spacer.gifA liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

I did watch a college-aged guy being denied boarding on a Holiday sailing because of alcohol once. However, he had a full-sized beer keg on an appliance dolly and he was refusing to get on the ship without it. Quite entertaining while we stood in the embarkation lines. :)

I did watch a college-aged guy being denied boarding on a Holiday sailing because of alcohol once. However, he had a full-sized beer keg on an appliance dolly and he was refusing to get on the ship without it. Quite entertaining while we stood in the embarkation lines. :)

"No, really, it's full of .... clothes. Yeah, my clothes are in there." :D

That's hillarious! :D:p

My cruise is now over...i brought with me on board two bottles of wine, 12 pack of pepsi and a case of water...

after the fact..i wish i had brought a 40 of rum..i would have put clear rum in water bottles and packed it into my suitcase...not my carry on..

then in port replenish...with more water bottles at the duty free store if you run out..we did that..everyone did..no problem at all

Has anyone ever been denied boarding ship if you have alcohol in packed luggage and they find it? I know you can carry on 1 bottle of wine. Thank you for help.

NO, not since the US Government repealed the Federal Liquor Tax in 1794 ~~!!~~

For the bottle of wine/champagne you're allowed to bring on board, can I just carry it with me during boarding (like in my massive purse or carry on....or just in my hand :D) or does it have to be in my checked luggage? We're flying in the day before but I'd rather not have to open my checked luggage until I'm actually in my room onboard.

Simple answer is 'NO'.

The cruise line is in business to make money - if they confiscate or 'store' your booze, you will then be spending lots of money on board buying alcohol and paying your gratuities. If they throw you off or deny boarding, that's revenue lost.

Just got off a Thanksgiving cruise on the Glory. We had the following packed in our checked luggage in the original glass bottles: 2 bottles of wine, 2 bottles of sweet tea vodka, 1 bottle of Absolut vodka, and and 1 bottle of peach schnapps. We bubble wrapped each bottle and placed them in ziploc bags. We had them scattered in several pieces of luggage to distribute the weight. It all made it to our cabin. Our steward emptied out our fridge and provided ice on a regular basis. We also purchased beer in Nassau and in St. Thomas. We placed in in our beach bag and had no problems getting back on the boat.

Just got off a Thanksgiving cruise on the Glory. We had the following packed in our checked luggage in the original glass bottles: 2 bottles of wine, 2 bottles of sweet tea vodka, 1 bottle of Absolut vodka, and and 1 bottle of peach schnapps. We bubble wrapped each bottle and placed them in ziploc bags. We had them scattered in several pieces of luggage to distribute the weight. It all made it to our cabin. Our steward emptied out our fridge and provided ice on a regular basis. We also purchased beer in Nassau and in St. Thomas. We placed in in our beach bag and had no problems getting back on the boat.

Please excuse a quick hi-jack... the Sweet Tea Vodka... is it really sugary & sweet? It sounds kind of yummy, maybe mixed with Lemonade? I don't like really sweet froo-froo drinks, but tell me about this one. Thanks!

There is a wonderful company from near Charleston, SC that makes Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka. It is yummy! Not sweet at all. We don't do foo-foo drinks either. Yes, we took it on board and mixed it with the lemonade available for free on Lido deck. It was the perfect cruise drink!

Just off the Dream and we had one big suitcase and checked it filled with a case of beer and 6 bottles of wine delivered to our room no problem. BUT tried to bring back Rum from Freeport and got stopped and then kept it till the last night. No problem still had a great time!

Please excuse a quick hi-jack... the Sweet Tea Vodka... is it really sugary & sweet? It sounds kind of yummy, maybe mixed with Lemonade? I don't like really sweet froo-froo drinks, but tell me about this one. Thanks!

I"d like to know about this too...this is the lst I have heard of this kind of vodka. I am needing some Christmas ideas and this sounds promising! ;)

There is a wonderful company from near Charleston, SC that makes Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka. It is yummy! Not sweet at all. We don't do foo-foo drinks either. Yes, we took it on board and mixed it with the lemonade available for free on Lido deck. It was the perfect cruise drink!

Thanks unionville! Adding it to my list...

Archived