Crossings

CLOU

I am sure this has been addressed before, but a quick search did not reveal an answer to me. My husband and I took our first cruise on Seabourn this year and are hooked, having been long time Regent cruisers waiting for Seabourn balconies. We are considering doing a crossing. I was curious as to what people do during the day on the crossings. I would assume that the weather is not suitable for lounging on deck and trivia only lasts for a short time. How do people spend their time?

Actually, if the weather is similar to the past Legend crossing in November, it is very conducive to sunning oneself on the pool deck. It was much warmer than I thought it would be - usually in the mid to upper 70's for virtually the whole passage. But not much to do. We prefer a much more port intensive trip so this will probably be our last crossing - just not our style. However I must say, there were numerous passengers who were enjoying their 7th, 10th and 17th Seabourn crossings - they just love "hanging." Try it - you just may like it!

It probably is just a matter of 'style,' but like many others on this board and others, crossings suit us to a T. Greatly relaxing. Very much about sociability - meeting and chatting with other folks on board, and reading and just taking things easy. Bridge was a big thing on the Spirit crossing we just completed last Friday, drawing quite a few players - and plaudits for the teachers. There also was at least one enrichment lecture a day, typically darned good presenters. This was our 3d crossing - I'm always amazed how fast each day passes and how soon the whole thing is over (too soon!!). And that we are never bored. But, if you like the idea of a new port every day.....a crossing is definitely a horse of a different color. And yes - the weather on this 11/15-11/27 Lisbon-Ft. L'dale just got better and better - Lots of sunbathers and even swimmers.

Thanks for the input. We are used to port intensive trips, but we also just like the cruise experience, so we have been thinking about giving a crossing a try since it would be relaxing. I am afraid that if the weather does not permit deck lounging, however, my husband will go a little stir crazy. However, you never know. He was dead set on not cruising without a full balcony, but he liked the Seabourn Odyssey so much that he is willing to give one of the Sisters a try, even without a full balcony, so we are booked on the Legend in Sepember.

Here's a tip: One sunny afternoon, after spending quite some time among all the bodies out on Deck 7, I grew restless - and realized I wasn't even seeing any water. I returned to our cabin, turned down the a/c (so it wouldn't have to battle outside air), opened the terrace doors, set the ottoman on the terrace, moved the two chairs into viewing position...and sat down and put my feet up to enjoy my very own view of sea and sky. It was lovely and relaxing, a very private spot of enjoyment.

Dan

As you know I've Crossed many, many times on the small Sister's

(mostly the Pride) and recently aboard the Odyssey. I feel we have more activities, events, parties, etc. on the smaller ships. On the Odyssey Capt. Dexter held "Tug of War", his "Welcome/Farewell Receptions", Club party, of course, there was Trivia, & special lecturer's, Liars Club, and 2 Name That Tunes..... I hosted a large "Texas Cocktail affair" and a fun luncheon ~~I was invited to 2 private cocktail parties.

I think on the smaller ships there is more of a "family feel" ~~and more organized events, parties.

Just my opinion~~

Martita B

I feel on the small Seabourn ships there are more private (individual) parties, luncheons, birthday functions, etc. along with the organized ship's activities.

Of course, being a ship of 200 Guests opposed to 445 (or so)

makes a huge difference. Also, on the Sister's TA Crossing's there are many repeaters ~~I know on the Pride TA's some of us have been Crossing together since 2001. I truly enjoy being with dear friends during the TA's and have made lifelong friends.

As to enjoying Crossing's ~~it's a matter of what one likes and enjoys. Some Sailor's enjoy ports ~~they might not care for 12/13 sea days. There are sailing's for everyone!:D

MB

Martha - Our Spirit crossing (11/15) did include the tug of war (such fun! and good to know what a mighty man our captain was...); 2 Name that Tune sessions (aft and evening); Liars Club; and of course, the other standards including the Bridge tour (not referring to playing cards, which were also plentiful); galley lunch; guest lecturers (yay for Ms. Sue Krisman!); galley tour and cooking demo; and a couple Captain's receptions. And, of course, a lovely CC wedding celebration for Will and Licia organized by our own Howndder.

Archived