Kids' Programs-Carnival vs. RCCL vs. Norwegian

Yozhik

My family, including two girls-8 and 6, are planning on taking a cruise next year. On our last cruise, we were not thrilled with Camp Carnival and I would like to get some thoughts on the programs from Royal Carib and Norwegian. Also, the problems with Carnival may have been more due to the fact that we cruised in late Sept, so there were very few kids on board-therefore all the kids were combined into one group.

I have found Camp Carnival and Adventure Ocean to be pretty similar. My dd11 and ds4 like them and ds14 does not. We cruise during spring break, and we took a cruise to Alaska in the summer. I didn't notice much difference in the number of kids or programming between lines or time of year. In both cases, the age groups were separate.

I think you said it best. Late Sepember does mean fewer kids.

Out of the three cruise lines you mentioned I would take a good look at RCI. I think they are nice for the entire family. And one that you did not mention which might not be an option for you is Princess. Excellent children's program.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

My children didnt warm up to Disney's kids program at all. My son was soo nervous he barfed and I was paged:eek:. They partially warmed up to RCCL (He also barfed in the MDR:(. They loved Princess' program. No barfing:D. It's hit or miss and depends a lot on the kids and how the program is set up. We only use them in the evening after dinner. Just don't count on the being a success and you won't be disappointed. No such thing as a bad cruise:p

My daughter (now 11) has cruised since she was 7, twice on RCI and twice on NCL. She likes both kids' programs but prefers NCL because according to her the counselors play more games with the kids, take them to kid-friendly shows in the evening and have more unprogrammed time so the kids can just hang out together sometimes. The NCL program is open more hours than RCI- there's no specific time to pick up at lunch, for example. If you ever do a NCL cruise, I would recommend a newer ship because the kids' facilities are nicer. The Dawn was great and this year we're doing the Jewel. Probably the Epic next year.

I don't think you can go wrong with either program, but since we've never cruised Carnival I can't compare to that.

But my DD age 7 now, 5 on her first cruise, loves Camp Carnival. We also cruise in late September, 2009 with few children, and upon returning from a port of call she wanted to go to the camp.

I will say, when I was signing her in one day, a mother was there advising the counselor's of a problem her child had in the camp. At the moment, I found the counselor she was speaking with a little indifferent to her problem. Which put me on alert and questioned my DD everyday afterwards, but she said she had fun everyday.

On the last day, DD wanted to "eat with her friends". When we arrived at the meeting place, the counselors did not appear to pleased with us, as we were the first to arrive.

No complaints ever from DD. Carnival is too easy for our family, so that is with whom we cruise.

My DD who is 10 has been on Carnival and Disney and has hated both of the kids clubs. We are trying RCCL over Spring Break and crossing our fingers that she will like it. I do not expect her to go the whole time it would just be fun for her to do some of the activities. It also does not help that she is a "Daddy's Girl" and that her Daddy does not want to send her. He believes that since we are calling it a family vacation we should all hang out together. I think she reads his vibe...

My daughter (now 11) has cruised since she was 7, twice on RCI and twice on NCL. She likes both kids' programs but prefers NCL because according to her the counselors play more games with the kids, take them to kid-friendly shows in the evening and have more unprogrammed time so the kids can just hang out together sometimes. The NCL program is open more hours than RCI- there's no specific time to pick up at lunch, for example. If you ever do a NCL cruise, I would recommend a newer ship because the kids' facilities are nicer. The Dawn was great and this year we're doing the Jewel. Probably the Epic next year.

I don't think you can go wrong with either program, but since we've never cruised Carnival I can't compare to that.

If you're considering the Epic next year, I know a currently-11-year-old girl who will be sailing December 18... :p

My daughter has only sailed NCL and LOVES the Kid's Crew. I agree about the newer ships also. Since they started building with families in mind the facilities have gotten better and better.

If you're considering the Epic next year, I know a currently-11-year-old girl who will be sailing December 18... :p

My daughter has only sailed NCL and LOVES the Kid's Crew. I agree about the newer ships also. Since they started building with families in mind the facilities have gotten better and better.

I wish they would be cruising together! Yesterday I decided to book the Epic for 2/20/11 (school break week.) I looked at Ruby Princess but we HAVE to get on the Epic ASAP.

Have a great cruise!

Barb

Next June we will be taking two of our granddaughters on a "grandparent-bonding" cruise. One will 11 1/2, and one will be 13. Camp Carnival's age breakdowns, 2-11, 12-14, 15+ (I think) would separate them, which would not be fun for them, or acceptable for us. On our last CCL cruise, the staff said they were revising the rules to allow families to paly together. Anyone know about this, or about other cruise lines who are not so rigid on the ages? Our 11 year will not want to be with 9 year olds, and putting the 13 year in the younger group would not be a hit either.:(

J Jansen

Wisconsin

I'd like to know that too because my two will be 10 and 13. I doubt they'll let the 10 year old go with the other.

No, they won't. I've read many posts by people stating that their older kids were allowed to join the younger group, however. The 13 year old should be allowed to join the 10-12 group. :)

Really, you wouldn't want it the other way anyway, would you? Imagine your 10 year old in a group of teenagers on vacation... teenagers you don't know...

We've cruised Royal, Carnival and Princess with 3 active boys over the last 7 years. Royals Kid Program was GREAT! they dressed like pirates and went on the stage before Night show, pool olympics, boat building and sailing contests, a soft version of dodgeball in the camp room with the tunnels, counselors had fun with active and quiet kids. They still have their pillowcases they decorated from 2002! Carnival had M&M Bingo- but couldnt eat the M&M's...... The video game room was very limited and the boys gave up after the 2nd day of trying to get a chance (not necessarily a bad thing) they still talk to this day about a counselor that had NO patience and became the butt of all the kids jokes. I don't know much about Princess' Program- Carnival killed it for my boys. Going on Royal this February will let you know what they think.

We're going on the Radiance of the Seas to Alaska for 13 days in May with a 5 year old. From the photos I coud find, it looks like Adventure Ocean is just a big empty room with computers. Any playground-equipment? Do they let them in the indoor pool? Any experiences with longer cruises with little kids?

She was on the NCL Pearl a couple years ago and is still talking about the Kids Club. She loved it. I'm hopeful, but there's no whiner like a preschool whiner...

• 2 weeks later...

My kids cruised a couple of years ago on NCL and loved the kids club. They were 10, 6 and 5. They did allow my 10 year old in with her brother and sister and she "helped" them out, because she never really made any friends her age in her group, no one really ever showed up in that age group. She did have fun with the younger kids and the othe two had a blast. They were also the kids that were crying when it came time to get them for lunch, etc. They played games, learned songs, had cookies with the captain, colored t-shirts, pirate party, scavenger hunts and basically had a terrific time.

We are sailing again with NCL this April and they are now 15, 12 and almost 11. My oldest is hoping to find other teens to hang out with in the teen area but I am not sure how many of the scheduled activities she will partake of and the other two will again be grouped together and are looking forward to the scavenger hunts, sports, etc. They do have fond memories of the last cruise and are planning on having a great time in kids club.

We just got back from the NCL Jewel with DD6 and DS8. During the week we were on there were around 150 kids so they grouped the 6 - 12 yr olds together. DS LOVED the kids club. They played lots of games and had lots of different activities which he loved. He stayed in all day during the sea days and ~ 6 - 10 during port days. DD wasnt that excited about the kids club but she is shy and takes a while to warm up to new people and new places. She would stay in when we went to dinner but wanted us to pick her up when we were done. Overall we were very happy with the kids activities and both my kids keep asking when we are going to cruise again.

DS was too young when we were on the Carnival Fascination. The kids looked to be haviing fun with Funship Freddy.

He absolutely loved the NCL program. He was on the Spirit at 3 then the Jewel at 4 and the Sky at 5. The only times he has ever allowed his face to be painted has been on NCL. We have to pull him out kicking and screaming:eek: just to go to dinner.

We will be trying the RCCL program in two weeks. I will include our observations and opinion on it upon retun.

We're going on the Radiance of the Seas to Alaska for 13 days in May with a 5 year old. From the photos I coud find, it looks like Adventure Ocean is just a big empty room with computers. Any playground-equipment? Do they let them in the indoor pool? Any experiences with longer cruises with little kids?

I was on Radiance with my 4 year old this past August. There is a separate room for the 3-5 year olds. No playground equipment, but age appropriate toys. AO does not take any kids to the pool. On the Alaska cruises, the indoor pool is open to families ie children for about 6-8 hours per day. It's usually adults only.

Archived