RCI Cruise Contract

Seacruise

There I was doing my online sign in for my upcoming Radiance OTS cruise and I got to the part about reading the cruise contract and having to put the tick in the box saying I have read and agreed to it. As with most sites now you can not put the tick in the box unless you scroll the document to the bottom.

I did this and it was the last number 18 in the contract that caught my eye.

It says Operator Celebrity cruises INC.

HMM when did RCI move Radinace OTS to Celebrity? Did I miss something? I called my TA and he read the same thing, interesting he said.

My TA recieved an email from his DSM today and they said the document appears to be in error.

I decided to print said document and found a number of errors in it. Celebrity and RCI are through out the contract. IT says in one place if I have a problem to contact Celebrity Cruises.

I would say it is in error.

I just found it interesting that I just agreed to a crusie contract that is error. I now wonder once they fix it if I will have to re-read it and agree to it again.

Phil

RCI owns Celebrity. Companies use different company names for different purposes. I don't think the contract indicates that Celebrity is now considered the parent company. It's just where they have chosen to place that specific responsibility.

RCCL (Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited, I think) owns RCI (Royal Caribbean International) and Celebrity (also Azamara, but we don't care).

Each cruiseline is a distinct entity on paper, and I think that the contract should reflect that. They do have overlapping operations, such as the Certified Vacation Planning Department (they answer by the phone number that rings, I guess), but the contract should be between the passenger and the correct cruiseline.

And it's all a calculation on the part of RCI (or any corporation for that matter) to try to limit their risks. Whenever people sign something, there will be a certain percentage that think they have signed their rights away. And then if something goes wrong, that percentage will just let it go. And this is good for the company. Less liability expense for them.

Kinda like when you sign a release for medical treatment and it bascially says there is a risk of anything (up to - and including - death) happening.

People sign - and a certain percentage think that they no longer have recourse if something goes wrong.

But this is not true for either your medical care or your cruise. There is a certain level of responsibility that companies carry regardless of what the contract or "release" says......... :)

Archived