best route to st. john

COTY

we are in st. maarten from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.

We are traveling with two other families. 10 kids all together.

We are looking for the best way to get to St. John.

We will do alittle shopping in St. maarten b4 we leave. Then plan to do the beach while we're in St. John. We'd also like to know which beach would be best for the kids.

thankyou

• 2 weeks later...

There are two ferries... one from Charlotte Amalie and one from Red Hook.

The CA ferry will take around 45 bumpy minutes to get to STJ and I believe it costs $7 pp each way

The Red Hook ferry will take around 15 somewhat bumpy minutes to reach STJ and costs around $3 or $4 pp each way. The taxi ride to Red Hook will likely cost around $5-$6 pp each way.

I believe the cab ride to your destination will run $4 or more pp depending on the beach you're going to.

Either way it'll take around 1 hr to get from the cruise terminal to your STJ destination... the obvious differences being cost and length of time on the open water.

Trunk Bay looked beautiful but crowded the day were in St. John last month. We went to Cinnamon Bay. Trunk Bay also charges a $4 per adult admission, while Cinnamon doesn't. I don't know if there's a reduced rate for kids.

You may be able to negotiate a rate for a van to take you to one of the St. Thomas beaches instead of going to St. John. Riding over on the ferry was fun for us--but we did not have any kids to keep track of. We talked to a guy who was vacationing with his extended family at Sapphire Beach. That sounded nice if you decide you don't want to leave St. Thomas.

There are shops at the dock with many of the same things that are sold downtown--souvenirs, liquor, and jewelry.

• 3 weeks later...

geoherb...you said it was crowded the day you went to St. John. Was there any problem with the crowds to get back to St. Thomas on time? I plan to take an earlier ferry back than most might so we can shop a little, but am curious about how crowded the ferries are. Thanks. (We'll be in St. Thomas school vacation week in April, so you can count on crowds, I'm sure!!).

Archived