Please help me pick my cruise

miamichic

Hello all

I am trying to decide which of the following Greek Is It. cruises to take

The difference is pricing $500 and Santorini

Here is the Santorini It

Venice, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey; Santorini, Greece; Corfu, Greece; Venice, Italy

Here is the cheaper one

Venice, Italy; Split, Croatia; Corfu, Greece; Piraeus (Athens), Greece; Mykonos, Greece; Katakolon, Greece; Venice, Italy

My question is 2 fold:

Is it worth an extra $500 to see Santorini and less ports

Is there a way to go from one of the islands in the cheaper port to Santorini

Thanks

Well.....first I have to point out that Santorini is not the only difference in these itineraries. One (your second one) goes to Athens and the other does not. The first one goes to Kusadasi. Personally, I'd have a harder time deciding which of those two wonderful ports to miss rather than worrying about missing Santorini....

Also, one ship stops in Dubrovnik and the other in Split.

You have to decide which ports are your must-sees. Of the two itineraries, I think I'd probably choose the second one. It's pretty similar to the itinerary I'm doing in June, with the exception that my cruise does include Kusadasi and Santorini and ends in Rome.

Assuming you have the usual amount of time in all the ports listed, I don't think you'd have time to go to Santorini and back from any of the ports.

Thank you for the help

Which Croatia port is nicer - I am not too familiar with Greece - if its of any help to you making a suggestion for me

We love Venice and that is why we are choosing to cruise out of that port and really did not care for Rome

We prefer seeing sights, drinking etc then museums

Hello all. I am trying to decide which of the following Greek Is It. cruises to take. The difference is pricing $500 and Santorini

Here is the Santorini It

Venice, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey; Santorini, Greece; Corfu, Greece; Venice, Italy

Here is the cheaper one

Venice, Italy; Split, Croatia; Corfu, Greece; Piraeus (Athens), Greece; Mykonos, Greece; Katakolon, Greece; Venice, Italy

My question is 2 fold:

Is it worth an extra $500 to see Santorini and less ports

Is there a way to go from one of the islands in the cheaper port to Santorini

Thanks

Are we comparing the same cruise ship line and quality? Same length of cruise? It's a hard and interesting choice! Assuming it's an "apples to apples" comparison, I would probably go with five port stops and Athens, plus lower price. From everything I hear, Santorini is wonderful, but Mykonos is very nice also. Dubrovnik can be wonderful, but it can be very hot and crowded there, depending on your exact timing and luck. What are your personal interests and travel style/loves?

Below are some examples on what you can see and enjoy in Mykonos. Both cruises visit Kusadasi (Ephesus), which is a super great place to visit and experience its wonderful history.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Along the narrow streets of Mykonos:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

More from charming Mykonos:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

1A-Mykonos-ChurchLadies.jpg

1A-Mykonos-Dockside.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

1A-Myk-Village-Shore.jpg

Based on your preferences, I think you would prefer the first. Santorini is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Mykonos is cute but doesn't compare. Similarly, the ruins at Ephesus is one of the greatest acheological sites I have seen. By comparison, Olympia (Katakalon) is much less impressive. And, as noted above, Dubrovnik is a jewel.

Here is the cheaper one

We have been to many of those ports. Here are my thoughts. YMMV.

Santorini -- seems to be the key point of your question. It is fun. My DW enjoyed riding the donkeys up the mountain (I passed that one.) Lots of little local places for a drink. A bit of nice shopping. Stunning views. Would I pay $500 extra to go there? Not really. Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

Split -- the most fun we had here was going up to a restaurant in the beautiful mountains for olives, cheese, WINE, and music. The Diocletian ruins were, frankly,not very impressive. Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland3.html.

ATHENS -- for us this was a MUST SEE! The Acropolis is the centerpiece. You can spend the whole day walking the Antiquities Promenade (http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html), visit the NEW Acropolis Museum (yes, I know you said that was not your favorite. This one is different!), or you can choose to walk the Plaka, eat at one of the many many restaurants, or even visit a winery. Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

Kusadasi -- one of our favorite ports. We love the little village of Srince. Sitting in a local outdoor restaurant sipping pomegranate juice or wine is delightful. Check out our review and pics at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea2.html as well as http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

Mykonos -- The island of Delos, birthplace of Apollo and a major pilgrimage center of the ancient world, was exciting to me. If ruins are not your thing, this island has much of the atmosphere and local taverns as Santorini, just without the trip up the hill! Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

Katakolon -- Olympia is the major attraction here. We did the ship's Olympia and Zorba tour and had great fun with the Greek food and dancing afterwards! Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

Either one would be a great trip. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Personally I would opt for Athens, Mykonos and Katakolon and save the $500.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike offers an excellent outline of great options with these two different cruises. On Kusadasi/Ephesus, I missed the point that this one port was only available on your first cruise option. That makes your choice even harder. Below are some visual examples for what all you can enjoy there in Kusadasi/Ephesus. There's some real and interesting history there, including at Rome's Asia "capital" that was there in Ephesus, plus the early Christian history, etc. Also, below is an example of a "demonstration" on the Oriental rugs. All very stimulating and interesting!!! Hard choices.

Famed outdoor theater where Peter preached and rock stars have performed:

Amphitheatre.jpg

More of the Roman ruins, old library, etc.:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

LibraryDetails.jpg

RuinsAdded.jpg

Doing night concert in front of historic library:

NightLibrary.jpg

Rug demo was interesting and educational:

CarpetSales.jpg

Thank you all for your suggestions - it is such a difficult decision

Let me add some more info in case it helps:

We are going in Mid Sept/ Early Oct

Its the same ship/line (Royal -splendour)

My other option is to find another cruiseline - I have only been on Royal and Carnival for caribbean cruises - I did not like Carnival... any suggestions for another cruiseline similar to Royal - we are in our early 30/ 40 if that helps

Again thanks to all!!!

My other option is to find another cruiseline - I have only been on Royal and Carnival for caribbean cruises - I did not like Carnival... any suggestions for another cruiseline similar to Royal - we are in our early 30/ 40 if that helps

Again thanks to all!!!

What about Princess? The itinerary I mentioned above that I'm taking this summer is: Venice (overnight), Split, Athens, Corfu, Katakolon, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Kusadasi (Ephesus), Naples, and ending in Rome.

This itinerary gets all the ports I really wanted for DS to see except Istanbul. It includes pretty much all of the places you list in both of the itineraries except Dubrovnik -- as well as Naples and Rome.

We are going in Mid Sept/ Early Oct. My other option is to find another cruiseline - I have only been on Royal and Carnival for caribbean cruises - I did not like Carnival... any suggestions for another cruiseline similar to Royal - we are in our early 30/ 40 if that helps.

Agree with Cynthia that it would be good to look at some other cruise ship options. What's your budget range and/or preference on ship size, style, etc.? There are lots of options and some of the cruise lines are being more "competitive" during your targeted time period. There are so many good options on ports and things to see in this area, that one cruise cannot "DO IT ALL". You will have to make some choice, but you do have many options. Now is the time to check out those many great potentials.

I did an itinerary on Princess three years ago called "Greek Isles" and it was fabulous and they still offer it. It included Venice, Dubrovnik, Rhodes, Mykynos, Athens, Naples and a few others. I cruise Princess a fair amount and continue to be very pleased with their service, food, value, ships, etc.

You won't want to hear this, but the above itinerary includes Santorini, which our ship had to skip (We sailed in early Oct) due to winds and accompanying waves-Santorini is a tender port. I don't know how often this happens but you should be aware of it!

We have booked another Med cruise in Sept. 2010 on one of Princess' small ships, the Ocean Princess. I am hoping that this one makes it to Santorini!!

Hello

Thank you all for your help - I looked into the princess greek isle cruises but they are 12 days - while the RCCL is 7 - due to the time limitations we are going to go with the cheaper cruise which does not include Santorini as there is always a chance that time of year we will not get to see it - Will enjoy Athens, Mykonos and the other islands this time

Maybe next time will go to Santorini

Hello

Thank you all for your help - I looked into the princess greek isle cruises but they are 12 days - while the RCCL is 7 - due to the time limitations we are going to go with the cheaper cruise which does not include Santorini as there is always a chance that time of year we will not get to see it - Will enjoy Athens, Mykonos and the other islands this time

We're booked on this Splendour cruise for 9/25/10. When are you going? We looked at all the other cruiselines, and when you're trying to do a 7 day cruise there aren't as many options. I thought this was the best itinerary...I can't wait to go!

Hello Thank you all for your help - I looked into the princess greek isle cruises but they are 12 days - while the RCCL is 7 - due to the time limitations we are going to go with the cheaper cruise which does not include Santorini as there is always a chance that time of year we will not get to see it - Will enjoy Athens, Mykonos and the other islands this time Maybe next time will go to Santorini

You can still can lots done in seven days! Understand time limits. We wanted to do Santorini on our first cruise, but it didn't work. You (and us) will get there on a later cruise. It will still look great at that time.

We're booked on this Splendour cruise for 9/25/10. When are you going? We looked at all the other cruiselines, and when you're trying to do a 7 day cruise there aren't as many options. I thought this was the best itinerary...I can't wait to go!

Hi Fllchick Miami here LOL - booked the 9/25 cruise too!!! I LOVE Venice and it was one of my main reasons to choose it - We spent 3 days there this year and it just is not enough!

If you need any help with what to do in Venice let me know I have a lot of tips to save time and $$

Hi Fllchick Miami here LOL - booked the 9/25 cruise too!!! I LOVE Venice and it was one of my main reasons to choose it - We spent 3 days there this year and it just is not enough!

If you need any help with what to do in Venice let me know I have a lot of tips to save time and $$

So glad to have some company on this cruise! I started a roll call thread a few weeks ago and nobody joined me.....:(

We just got back from the Celebrity Century 7 night out of Barcelona and booked this when we got home. I'm so excited to see Venice! Any recommendations for a pre-cruise hotel?

Where in Miami do you live? I actually work in Miami, near the airport, and we live in Ft Lauderdale on las olas.....

So glad to have some company on this cruise! I started a roll call thread a few weeks ago and nobody joined me.....:(

We just got back from the Celebrity Century 7 night out of Barcelona and booked this when we got home. I'm so excited to see Venice! Any recommendations for a pre-cruise hotel?

Where in Miami do you live? I actually work in Miami, near the airport, and we live in Ft Lauderdale on las olas.....

Hi there - I live in Kendall... las olas to mia that is a drive!! I am going to go and post the other info on your roll call

• 3 weeks later...

Again thanks to all!!!

NCL has two very similar cruises. We were looking at all four and picked the NCL cruise with Santorini leaving early Oct.

We are also in our 30/40's and we have been on four RCCL cruises and one NCL cruise. We prefer bigger ships. NCL lets travel agents discount. We ended up with a price much lower than what NCL is currently charging on their website.

I grew up in Kendall, small world.

We did a similar itinerary on Splendour of the Seas two years ago in November and loved it. We enjoyed Mykonos and Katakolon a lot and really did not miss Santorini at the time.

Hello

So in 2007 we did an RCCI out of Venice that did some of the Greek Isles but did not do Santorini. In 2008, we did an RCCI out of Barcelona -- still no Santorini. In November, we did an X out of Rome and this time got to visit Santorini! Plus we added in Ephesis (Turkey) and Rhodes.

You are right! There's always next time!

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
What about Princess? The itinerary I mentioned above that I'm taking this summer is: Venice (overnight), Split, Athens, Corfu, Katakolon, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Kusadasi (Ephesus), Naples, and ending in Rome.

This itinerary gets all the ports I really wanted for DS to see except Istanbul. It includes pretty much all of the places you list in both of the itineraries except Dubrovnik -- as well as Naples and Rome.

I second Cynthia's suggestion. Why not try Princess???

I am taking a similar itinerary to hers on the Crown Princess in May. We depart from Venice and stop at Dubrovnik, Corfu, Olympia, Athens, Mykonos, Ephesus, Rhodes, Santorini, Naples and end in Rome. The itinerary really includes the best of the Eastern Med (with the exception of Istanbul... but another trip perhaps!)

Also, if choosing between islands, I would chose Dubrovnik over Split and Santorini over Mykonos. But to each their own!

Happy Cruise Hunting!!!!!!!

Archived