What if TA is off for the weekend?

I had the same thing happen this year. Good price drop but on the weekend. I emailed my local TA and told her to get on it right away. When I got home after work on Monday and called her to see if she got my email she said yes but she hadn't gotten at it yet. I told her the price had gone up $50 since then and she got on it but we lost the $100 but had a nearly $300 savings. the next weekend it dropped again and we could upgrade and get another nice price drop. I emailed again and then called her from work to make sure but she didn't get it again. At this point I picked up on that she was trying to avoid loosing commission. The next time it happened I realized she was not going to get it done before the prices went back up on Monday but I called her and at least got the room upgrade. At this point she was being just plain nasty when I would call and it was REALLY unpleasant. Needles to say we will NEVER use her again!!!!! I will be asking a lot of questions before I book with a TA again!

Seems I read this quite a bit about losing comission. Seems short sighted to me. Who in their right mind is going to use you again if you are nasty about price drops?

You lose future bookings. I'd rather have a lot lot of small comissions then just a few big comissions.

It is more work and is frustrating for the TA but if you are going to be in the travel game you know the rules going in.

Bill

I hear what you are saying CCMama....but what if you switch names on the booking? If it's booked in hubby's name, for example, and you rebook using your own name or visa versa? Would that work as a new booking?

I don't know if that would be enough to do it.

The way people are listed in the system is as individuals.

So for instance you and Mr Alpha Kitty ;) are listed as individuals on the ship.

So it would list it in the system as:

Reservation ID, Status (booked or cancelled), Brand (RCC), Ship, Sail Date, Kitty, Alpha

Reservation ID, Status (booked or cancelled), Brand, Ship, Sail Date, Kitty, Mr.

And if you cancelled and then rebooked, they would be able to see that if you booked it through the same TA or direct again with RCCL.

The sad thing is even if you get lucky and get the reduction on Monday, your OBC will probably be reduced to next to nothing - eliminating the only possible reason for using a TA in the first place! Book direct and live longer.

Book direct and waste hours and hours of time doing what a good TA couuld do for you while also offering you something more than the cruise line can. You might live longer your way but you won't cruise nearly as often because it is costing you so much more to cruise each time you do.

Book direct and waste hours and hours of time doing what a good TA couuld do for you while also offering you something more than the cruise line can. You might live longer your way but you won't cruise nearly as often because it is costing you so much more to cruise each time you do.

The key words are "good TA" because it's COSTING me money since I'm not booked direct through RCCL right now. I got a $150 OBC but I can't get a $1,200 price reduction. That's almost enough to take ANOTHER cruise, so your logic of not cruising nearly as often has the opposite effect on me. If I continued to book through bad TA's and lose $1,000+ dollars, then I couldn't take as many cruises as if I had booked direct.

Okay, Fred...it's obvious that you are a TA...but I agree 100% with gt mustang gal.

Hi Mary,

My name isn't Fred -- I live in Frederick. (FrederickMDCruisers was shortened by CC when I set up my account.) And I am not a TA. Never have been and never will be. I wouldn't have the patience to deal with some of these people. I'd tell them to call RCCL and RCCL doesn't want to talk to them. (Have you heard their new "oh hold" message? "RCCL strongly recommends you contact a qualified travel agent to assist you in booking your cruise vacation."

Thank you,

Ed

The key words are "good TA" because it's COSTING me money since I'm not booked direct through RCCL right now. I got a $150 OBC but I can't get a $1,200 price reduction. That's almost enough to take ANOTHER cruise, so your logic of not cruising nearly as often has the opposite effect on me. If I continued to book through bad TA's and lose $1,000+ dollars, then I couldn't take as many cruises as if I had booked direct.

I think you are worried about nothing. Price reductions rarely last only 1 or 2 days. (It does happen but rarely.) You'll probably reach your TA on Monday, have this all resolved and all will be fine. You'll get your price reduction + the $150 OBC if you were smart enough to make sure you booked with a TA who guarantees her offer in spite of price reductions. (I wouldn't use one who didn't.)

Had you started using TA's earlier in your cruising career you would have already saved more than $1,200 and you would not be sweating this price reduction so much. You would be comfortable with the TA (or have their cell phone number like we do because you are such a good customer) and you would realize that $1,200 is nothing in comparison to the $200 + pre-paid gratuities you could have been saving the average cruise -- every cruise -- you had booked.

I'd recommend you not write off the TA until he/she has a chance to show you want they can do. Believe me -- they can get things done that no one who posts here and is not a TA (like me) ever can. I've had it happen too many times to every book direct again. (Unless it just to book a cruise special I need to grab and hold and then transfer to a TA later for the perks.)

If you have the time to screw around with booking direct and the money to waste, God Bless You. Go for it while you can because it is going to come to an end. If you care about saving money and having a professional do what they are trained to do on your behalf without costing you a dime (and probably putting money in your pocket if you do it correctly) then find a good TA. There are plenty of them out there and RCCL lists them on their website for you.

For those of you who say you won't use a TA, do you pull your own teeth because you can not reach your dentist on a Saturday or Sunday? (And no, I'm not a dentist either folks -- it's just an example!)

Ed, to each his own. I suppose I take exception to your stating that those of us who don't use a TA are wasting money...just to let you know, I have seen price drops that last a day or more and sometimes are the final price, as well as price increases that occur more than once in an 8 hour time frame. All I know is that it isn't worth it to allow someone else to have control over whether or not I GET my price drop. As stated by someone else earlier, commission becomes an issue, and you could not blame even the most dedicated TA for being concerned with that...all I know is, I believe I am on the same cruise as gt mustang girl, and the prices dropped later in the day on Friday, 12/04. I already have my $960 OBC, so I'm not sweating it. But I am hoping for her that she will be able to get hers as well.

Ed, to each his own. I suppose I take exception to your stating that those of us who don't use a TA are wasting money...just to let you know, I have seen price drops that last a day or more and sometimes are the final price, as well as price increases that occur more than once in an 8 hour time frame. All I know is that it isn't worth it to allow someone else to have control over whether or not I GET my price drop. As stated by someone else earlier, commission becomes an issue, and you could not blame even the most dedicated TA for being concerned with that...all I know is, I believe I am on the same cruise as gt mustang girl, and the prices dropped later in the day on Friday, 12/04. I already have my $960 OBC, so I'm not sweating it. But I am hoping for her that she will be able to get hers as well.

Hi Mary, I certainly did not mean to offend you or anyone else. But there is not disputing the fact that if you do not use a TA you are leaving money on the table. That's just a fact. It will cost you more to book direct. If "being in control" is worth spending more to you then I said "go for it."

No TA controls whether or not you get a price drop. You are guaranteed the lowest price by RCCL. In fact a good TA might find one that you miss -- you can't be on the internet constantly doing fake bookings to see if your price has changed. They have software that monitors prices for them.

I am happy you received your price reduction and I hope the other person does also. I'm sure it will all work out on Monday. The only difference is that the one who booked with the TA will probably get the agency OBC + the price drop. Commission is never an issue if it understood up front how it will work -- and I've said from the beginning you should always make sure you are happy with that before you book with a TA.

This "control" thing confuses me though. Where do you get that booking through a TA causes you to give up "control" of your reservation? The TA is your agent, acting on your behalf. You control eveything that has to do with your reservation.

Please don't take my comments personally or be offended. I'm just discussing the subject openly -- not picking on anyone!

I had an experience where I saw a price drop on July 3rd. I called my American TA's office, but they were closed for the holiday weekend. The drop was worth $600 US for me. They did not open till Monday (and no, I will never again book with a 9-5 Monday to Friday TA again). The price drop was gone by the time they opened. I was livid. However, because I had the code for the price drop, they were able to get it for me even though the price drop was gone.

So don't despair too much if it is gone Monday morning. You saw it. You emailed your TA. Have the code handy. If your TA has a good rep with RCI (that is key here; you need to deal with a TA that has clout behind them with an agency that does lots of RCI bookings), they will probably be able to get the drop. I did. Good luck!

I think you are worried about nothing. Price reductions rarely last only 1 or 2 days. (It does happen but rarely.) You'll probably reach your TA on Monday, have this all resolved and all will be fine. You'll get your price reduction + the $150 OBC if you were smart enough to make sure you booked with a TA who guarantees her offer in spite of price reductions. (I wouldn't use one who didn't.)

Fred, I don't believe you're going to find one that will do that. Some cruises go down so low from their high that in order to pay the original OBC, the TA would have to lose money. No one is going to that intentionally. Fred, TA's miss price drops, they mis-book their clients, they go on vacation and can't be reached, they charge you for every little thing. They do make mistakes. Why take the chance. This OP would definitely book this cruise direct if she got another chance.

And where do you get this notion that only a TA can muster some clout with the cruise line? Only they know the secrets and the inside moves. Some of these TA's have never been on a cruise before. Some cruisers are very influential people themselves with plenty of contacts who can pull the right strings for them.

Travel agents exist at this point in time because the cruiselines haven't reached a point yet where they have the courage cut loose the commission system. One day they will and then I'm going to make sure I read every one of your posts where you will continue to beat the drums for TA's even though no one will be using them anymore.

I had an experience where I saw a price drop on July 3rd. I called my American TA's office, but they were closed for the holiday weekend. The drop was worth $600 US for me. They did not open till Monday (and no, I will never again book with a 9-5 Monday to Friday TA again). The price drop was gone by the time they opened. I was livid. However, because I had the code for the price drop, they were able to get it for me even though the price drop was gone.

So don't despair too much if it is gone Monday morning. You saw it. You emailed your TA. Have the code handy. If your TA has a good rep with RCI (that is key here; you need to deal with a TA that has clout behind them with an agency that does lots of RCI bookings), they will probably be able to get the drop. I did. Good luck!

Okay, so how do I find out what the "code" is for the price drop? I'd appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!

Fred, I don't believe you're going to find one that will do that. Some cruises go down so low from their high that in order to pay the original OBC, the TA would have to lose money. No one is going to that intentionally. Fred, TA's miss price drops, they mis-book their clients, they go on vacation and can't be reached, they charge you for every little thing. They do make mistakes. Why take the chance. This OP would definitely book this cruise direct if she got another chance.

And where do you get this notion that only a TA can muster some clout with the cruise line? Only they know the secrets and the inside moves. Some of these TA's have never been on a cruise before. Some cruisers are very influential people themselves with plenty of contacts who can pull the right strings for them.

Travel agents exist at this point in time because the cruiselines haven't reached a point yet where they have the courage cut loose the commission system. One day they will and then I'm going to make sure I read every one of your posts where you will continue to beat the drums for TA's even though no one will be using them anymore.

Funny you should say that... I had been searching for that "great TA" (never did find one) and one I did try had never been on a cruise!! So needless to say I knew more than she did.

Good luck gt gal!!

Hours and hours?? Each time we've booked direct it's taken 2 minutes to go online and find the cruise we want. Another 5-10 minutes to call RCCL and book it. We've gotten two price drops in the past 2 months, each time it was a fast and friendly call to RCCL to get it. Sure didn't seem like hours and hours:rolleyes:

It's a personal choice on where and how to spend your money and where to save. It isn't worth an OBC to us to involve a third party TA. And we'll be cruising just as often with or without it.

When it comes to cruising (on RCCL at least) TA's really only serve a purpose for two groups of people: Those who prefer someone else to take care of things for them, and those who want a few free beers or an excursion via a relatively small OBC. Nothing wrong with that, but those are the facts. And as this thread demonstrates, in some cases it's not aways 100% positive for using a TA, there are potential negatives involved to saving a little money on your onboard charges.

I started reading this post because I noticed a price drop on our cruise Friday night and we are also booked with an online agency. I emailed and left a voicemail for her but am not overly concerned since normally discounts last for several days or weeks.

We have booked several cruises with agents online and have always had good experiences. Please don't let it upset you since most likely everything will work out! Good luck to us both!

When it comes to cruising (on RCCL at least) TA's really only serve a purpose for two groups of people: Those who prefer someone else to take care of things for them, and those who want a few free beers or an excursion via a relatively small OBC. Nothing wrong with that, but those are the facts.
Your "facts" are so far from the truth, but you go on thinking that.

bouhunter, I research our planned cruises, for best itnerary, price etc and when I am ready I go see my TA whom I have used since 2002.The only thing she really has to do is call the Cruise line Agent while I am there to give the information and deposit. We have always received a great price. My DH & I really aren't concerned if we get extras in our room, as our enjoyment comes from the cruise, & people we will meet.

Hello to you Flagger hope things are going well for you & your DW.

Gay

Fred, I don't believe you're going to find one that will do that.

Ubdk,

I'm not surprised you can not find a TA who will guarantee their offer. You obviously have something against TA's in general and probably have never talked to one to see how much money you can save.

That's ok -- keep paying too much you're keeping that stock price high!

thanks,

Ed

SueL or Flagger or any of the other TA's out there: do you gaurantee your OBC dollar amount or know of any travel agencies that do? Of course not! You wouldn't stay in business.

Okay, so how do I find out what the "code" is for the price drop? I'd appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!

They have BRK, YNOT, SRS, and RES codes for this cruise. What you get would depend on your cabin category. I just read that what you are getting is not a senior's or resident's rate, so it would be a BRK or YNOT code. It's just that there are other letters and numbers following BRK and YNOT. There are also codes for inside and outside guarantees.

I forget where you are from, but the resident's rates are for the following states:

AZ CA CT GA IL IN MA MD MI MN NC NJ NY OH PA SC TN TX V

Those rates are for D2s, Hs, and Is only.

Ah, I see you are from TN, and it is one of the states included. May not be your cabin type, though.

Hope this helps. If you give me the cabin category you're booked into, I can give you the full code.

They have BRK, YNOT, SRS, and RES codes for this cruise. What you get would depend on your cabin category. I just read that what you are getting is not a senior's or resident's rate, so it would be a BRK or YNOT code. It's just that there are other letters and numbers following BRK and YNOT. There are also codes for inside and outside guarantees.

I forget where you are from, but the resident's rates are for the following states:

AZ CA CT GA IL IN MA MD MI MN NC NJ NY OH PA SC TN TX V

Those rates are for D2s, Hs, and Is only.

Ah, I see you are from TN, and it is one of the states included. May not be your cabin type, though.

Hope this helps. If you give me the cabin category you're booked into, I can give you the full code.

Our cabin category is a Junior Suite (JS).

Archived