What if TA is off for the weekend?

We are going on a cruise next month and we booked through an online TA. They are "off" for the weekend. The RCCL website has the category of room that we booked for over $1,000 less than what we paid! What can I do about this since my TA won't be back in the office until Monday? Surely this has happened to some of you out there...... :confused: Help!

We are going on a cruise next month and we booked through an online TA. They are "off" for the weekend. The RCCL website has the category of room that we booked for over $1,000 less than what we paid! What can I do about this since my TA won't be back in the office until Monday? Surely this has happened to some of you out there...... :confused: Help!

Any reputable agency will have an "after hours" phone number. Check the website again.....

If not, you're out of luck. Cruise lines won't work directly with you if you have booked through a TA.....none of them.

Yikes, yes it has happened to us once. Since then our cruises are booked directly with the cruiseline.

Take a screen shot of the lower price and hopefully your TA can get you the discounted price when they are back in the office.

###

Good suggestion! I did a screen shot of the rate and emailed it to them. Hopefully that's proof?

Any reputable agency will have an "after hours" phone number. Check the website again.....

If not' date=' you're out of luck. Cruise lines won't work directly with you if you have booked through a TA.....none of them.[/quote']

I checked the website. They advertise hours as Monday-Friday 8am-6pm. I called the number anyway and got a recording. I left a message, but the recording said they wouldn't be checking messages until Monday. :( I am going to cry if I don't get an adjustment....and never use that agency again.

I too would call to see if anyone might be covering...thats your only shot. If you are referring to the "senior rate" that is listed...you may luck out and have it hold till Monday. I would be up early and on the horn for that kind of money. :eek:

I too would call to see if anyone might be covering...thats your only shot. If you are referring to the "senior rate" that is listed...you may luck out and have it hold till Monday. I would be up early and on the horn for that kind of money. :eek:

It isn't a senior rate. It is just the regular advertised rate. I am going to be on pins and needles until Monday! I just did the math - it's a savings of $1,146. :eek:

It isn't a senior rate. It is just the regular advertised rate. I am going to be on pins and needles until Monday! I just did the math - it's a savings of $1,146. :eek:

If its not for "New Reservations Only" it may hold up till Monday. With what is going on with the economy they are having great price reductions. We will pull for you....let us know

Online TA...Lesson learned.....Next time book it yourself or use a TA you can trust that doesn't have bankers hours..This happened to me once. I emailed my TA that was on vacation in Mexico at the time on a Sunday...she responded back within the hour and took care of it...good TA's = priceless...Hope it works out for you...Good luck...and remember this for next time !

Our TA has even gotten to me while she was on a cruise. You just need to build that working relationship, it has happened to us just recently also that we could not reach our TA but the rates held until Monday. Best of luck!

Online TA...Lesson learned.....Next time book it yourself or use a TA you can trust that doesn't have bankers hours..This happened to me once. I emailed my TA that was on vacation in Mexico at the time on a Sunday...she responded back within the hour and took care of it...good TA's = priceless...Hope it works out for you...Good luck...and remember this for next time !

I haven't been able to deal with just one specific TA since I've been dealing with an "online agency" that just has an 800 number and I talk to whoever answers the phone (not sure if I can say the name that starts with a C on here ;) ).

Our TA has even gotten to me while she was on a cruise. You just need to build that working relationship, it has happened to us just recently also that we could not reach our TA but the rates held until Monday. Best of luck!

I hope I have the same luck as you! The only reason I didn't book it on my own was to get a $150 OBC from that online agency. Of course, $150 doesn't exactly compare to $1,164! :rolleyes:

Find a TA that is available evenings and weekends, #1. Also, ask what happens when they are away. They should have someone looking after their files while they are away.

I ran into the same situation you did. Write down the code that you see. They will ask for that. I did get my discount, but that was only because I had the code.

What happens if you have a problem when you get to the ship? If you can't get in touch with the TA or agency that booked you then you'd have to fend for yourself at the pier.

This agency seems like they are no more then a booking agent and then you are on your own.

I'd rather do without the OBC or whatever they were offering then deal with an agency like this.

Lesson learned. Next time you'll know what to ask if you book with another agency.

Good luck getting the reduction on Monday. :)

Bill

Go through the booking process & put it on hold. If the low rate is still there Monday morning, you're all set, if it's not, you can have a three way call with RCCL and they can see the new reservation with the lower rate.

It looks like you're past final payment. Does your TA allow price drops at this point? I'm asking because the TA I worked with on several cruises didn't. I found CC after 7 cruises and always paid the original price. When I booked #8, she said price drops were okay up to final payment. (and seemed surprised that I asked) Now I do it myself and use software to check rates. No price drops yet but maybe someday................

Nothing against TA's, but I only use them when I cannot possibly make the deal on my own...Our TA for our trip to Italy was priceless...but a cruise, I can do myself. I'd rather have full control of my reservation than get OBC.

Every time I read these posts I realize how lucky I am for having a great TA.

Everyone who is considering booking with a TA make sure you interview them like you would any professional

1. What are your hours?

2. What backup do you have if you are off/sick/away, etc?

3. What happens if I need you off hours?

4. Do you honor price drops? Up to what point? ie even after final payment?

5. Are there any fees ? Cancellation? Change? Price drop?

6. Do I lose my perks if the price drops?

These are some I can think of off the top of my head feel free to add your own to this list.

If you don't like the answers you get when you ask these questions then the next biggest one you need to ask yourself is the "insert perk here" worth the aggravation?

Unfortunately "proof" of the rate, such as a screenshot, will not make a difference. The TA will have to call RCCL and then if the agent cannot pull it up in the computer as current pricing, you can't get the rate ... at least in my experience. Good luck!

Go through the booking process & put it on hold. If the low rate is still there Monday morning, you're all set, if it's not, you can have a three way call with RCCL and they can see the new reservation with the lower rate.

It looks like you're past final payment. Does your TA allow price drops at this point? I'm asking because the TA I worked with on several cruises didn't. I found CC after 7 cruises and always paid the original price. When I booked #8, she said price drops were okay up to final payment. (and seemed surprised that I asked) Now I do it myself and use software to check rates. No price drops yet but maybe someday................

Yes, the agency does allow price drops past final payment and does not charge anything for making the change. We had a $54 price drop last week and it wasn't a problem at all. They just called RCCL to confirm the price drop and issued an OBC for the difference. Of course, that was on a WEEKDAY. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately "proof" of the rate, such as a screenshot, will not make a difference. The TA will have to call RCCL and then if the agent cannot pull it up in the computer as current pricing, you can't get the rate ... at least in my experience. Good luck!

I just called RCCL and that's EXACTLY what they told me. Because I'm booked through an online agency that reserved the rooms as "group rates", RCCL is not authorized to make any changes. One of the TA's will have to call RCCL to make the change. The lady at RCCL that I talked to even apologized because $1,200 is a pretty significant drop and she can't do anything about it. She also said that if this agency claims to be certified vacation planners, then they should be checking voicemails/emails every 24 hours even if their advertised office hours are Monday-Friday. Bottom line - if the rate goes back up by Monday, then I'm just SOL. So everyone take the advice of TBSCruiser and ask the list of interview questions before booking through anyone. *sigh*

I had worse, Ecruise store went bankrupt and left everyone hanging. I will never use a TA again. I will book directly with the cruise and if I want to change cabins or take advantage of a price reduction, senior rate or residency rate that comes available I CAN DO IT RIGHT AWAY. No bottle of wine or OBC is credit is worth the gamble, I learned the hard way.

I had the same thing happen this year. Good price drop but on the weekend. I emailed my local TA and told her to get on it right away. When I got home after work on Monday and called her to see if she got my email she said yes but she hadn't gotten at it yet. I told her the price had gone up $50 since then and she got on it but we lost the $100 but had a nearly $300 savings. the next weekend it dropped again and we could upgrade and get another nice price drop. I emailed again and then called her from work to make sure but she didn't get it again. At this point I picked up on that she was trying to avoid loosing commission. The next time it happened I realized she was not going to get it done before the prices went back up on Monday but I called her and at least got the room upgrade. At this point she was being just plain nasty when I would call and it was REALLY unpleasant. Needles to say we will NEVER use her again!!!!! I will be asking a lot of questions before I book with a TA again!

Here's a question.....WHAT IF I cancelled this reservation and re-booked under the new/lower rate? I know I would owe a $50 cancellation fee to Crucon, but what about RCCL? Since I would be re-booking for the same ship and sail date, would they actual charge the cancellation fee? It would be worth paying Crucon $50 and losing the OBC because I'd still be saving $1,000. Does anyone know if this would work?

You could put the new cabin for the lower price on hold and then have the TA switch to the new cabin with the lower price. If you are past final payment then you will lose your deposit so just call RCCL and put it on hold, do not tell them about the other res though. And yes RCCL will charge you the penalties

Have you tried emailing as someone might be monitoring the email

Good suggestion! I did a screen shot of the rate and emailed it to them. Hopefully that's proof?

I checked the website. They advertise hours as Monday-Friday 8am-6pm. I called the number anyway and got a recording. I left a message, but the recording said they wouldn't be checking messages until Monday. :( I am going to cry if I don't get an adjustment....and never use that agency again.

Can't blame you there at all. Most agencies do offer a 24-hour emergency number - just in case one of their clients run into problems while traveling. I sure wouldn't use one that didn't.

Good luck.....

Archived