Another 'gratuities' question!

ajn1982

I now, I know, yet another tipping (gratuities) question! But please bear with me …

We’ve pre-payed tips (gratuities) when we booked, and are happy to do so. The website explains this covers restaurant and stateroom service. So are these assumptions correct:

- these staff will know we’ve pre-paid tips, so won’t expect a tip from us on-board (but we can of course tip if we feel exceptional service warrants it)

- because a 15% tip will be added to all drinks we ask for (though this appears to apply only to bar-type drinks, not coffee etc), we needn’t tip someone who brings us one of these

The net effect seems to be that we won’t be expected to tip, in cash on board, anyone. Is this right? Is there anyone else not covered here who we should tip?

Thank you for your help!

I agree, but we also keep plenty of ones on hand for those delivering room service to our cabin - and we get room service ALOT because we enjoy just hanging out in our robes, watching the beautiful scenery go by. Also, we usually provide additional tips on the last night of the cruise for our room steward and favorite bartender, in most cases. Certainly not necessary or required, but if the service warrants, we're there with the extra cash for receiving excellent care - above and beyond the call of duty.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Whenever we have pre-payed our auto tips (or Hotel Service Charge on ships), we have gotten a letter in our cabin confirming that the room stewards and dining room staff know about this.

Do be prepared to tip your tour guide and driver whenever you go on a tour.

On the ship, if we visit the same bar everyday and have the same bar tender make our drinks -- and the drinks get better by the end of the cruise -- we do tip them in cash beyond that 15% gratuity.

I agree, but we also keep plenty of ones on hand for those delivering room service to our cabin - and we get room service ALOT because we enjoy just hanging out in our robes, watching the beautiful scenery go by. Also, we usually provide additional tips on the last night of the cruise for our room steward and favorite bartender, in most cases. Certainly not necessary or required, but if the service warrants, we're there with the extra cash for receiving excellent care - above and beyond the call of duty.

Hi Assateague Island Princes

"Ones" = dollar bills??

• 3 weeks later...
When you put your tips on the onboard credit--how much do they put on.? When I was on Princess, they put on $ 10 each per day. Is it the same with Royal Caribbean?

Here's the current list:

Azamara - $12.25 pp/pd ($16.25 for Categories with Butler service)

Carnival - $10 pp/pd

Celebrity – $11.50 pp/pd ($12 in Concierge & AquaClass, $15 in Suites)

Costa - $10 pp/pd for Caribbean, widely varying for others - http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/Support/general/GeneralInfo.htm

Crystal – $13 pp/pd ($17 for Penthouse)

Disney - $12 pp/pd

Holland America – $11

MSC - $12 pp/pd (€uro 7.00 in Europe)

Norwegian - $12 pp/pd

Oceania - $12.50 pp/pd ($16.50 for Categories with Butler service)

Princess – $10.50 ($11 for mini-suites)

Regent Seven Seas - included in cruise fare

Royal Caribbean – $9.75 pp/pd ($12 for suites)

Seabourn – included in cruise fare

Silversea - included in cruise fare

Uniworld - €uro 13.00 pp/pd

Skip giving international calling cards. The ship's employees can buy them really cheap. Also many have their own cell phones. Plain old money works best.

I agree. Plus international calling cards are not "equal" to all places. They would rather have money and then buy the cards that they need that works best for them (and they know which one that gives them the best bang for the buck).

What are these vouchers they are talking about.? If you prepay, why do you give a voucher. I don't know what that is. Going on Royal Caribbean, Radiance of the Seas in July.

I haven't seen vouchers mentioned - you'd get vouchers for ship-booked hotels and excursions, though.

I haven't seen vouchers mentioned - you'd get vouchers for ship-booked hotels and excursions, though.

The vouchers mentioned are provided to you in your stateroom towards the end of your cruise to be given to your dining room servers and room steward on the final night of your cruise. The vouchers are an indication that you have pre-paid your tips or have had them added to your onboard account. If their service is such that an additional cash tip is deserved, you can place that money along with the voucher in the envelopes provided. :) As someone has already said, tips for room service are not included as part of the voucher system.

I now, I know, yet another tipping (gratuities) question! But please bear with me …

We’ve pre-payed tips (gratuities) when we booked, and are happy to do so. The website explains this covers restaurant and stateroom service. So are these assumptions correct:

- these staff will know we’ve pre-paid tips, so won’t expect a tip from us on-board (but we can of course tip if we feel exceptional service warrants it)

- because a 15% tip will be added to all drinks we ask for (though this appears to apply only to bar-type drinks, not coffee etc), we needn’t tip someone who brings us one of these

The net effect seems to be that we won’t be expected to tip, in cash on board, anyone. Is this right? Is there anyone else not covered here who we should tip?

Thank you for your help!

You got it! Have fun.:)

Archived