Best cruise route transatlantic

mountaingrl

I want to go transatlantic on Cunard has anybody done the Southampton to NY leg? How is the sailing in May from NY to Southampton, also is Cunard all it is cracked up to be?

Mountaingrl. I have done both NYC to Southampton and Southampton, and in fact I am doing it 21st May of 2010. That particular crossing is 7 days instead of 6, so you get one more glorious day at sea, and the prices are particularly good.

Which direction kind of depends on what your further plans are. If your going to continue to spend some time in the UK or Europe, you might consider using the White Star Luggage service to send some of your cruise clothes home, rather than hauling them around in the UK.

My first crossing on QM2 was from Southampton to NYC, it was like comming home on a long vacation, I had gone over on business, and after the east bound jet lag and a full set of day long meetings, the luxury of comming back slowly was terrific.

As to whether Cunard is all its cracked up to be, and if you read some of these posts you find a range of opinion, for me it is. And, that first westbound crossing has resulted in 9 more so far, with 2 more planned for next May and a west bound return on 1st June with a nice long weekend in London. In my opinion its all its cracked up to be. And QM2 is by far the ship I have been on.

Book it and enjoy.

Mike

Mountaingrl. I have done both NYC to Southampton and Southampton, and in fact I am doing it 21st May of 2010. That particular crossing is 7 days instead of 6, so you get one more glorious day at sea, and the prices are particularly good.

Which direction kind of depends on what your further plans are. If your going to continue to spend some time in the UK or Europe, you might consider using the White Star Luggage service to send some of your cruise clothes home, rather than hauling them around in the UK.

My first crossing on QM2 was from Southampton to NYC, it was like comming home on a long vacation, I had gone over on business, and after the east bound jet lag and a full set of day long meetings, the luxury of comming back slowly was terrific.

As to whether Cunard is all its cracked up to be, and if you read some of these posts you find a range of opinion, for me it is. And, that first westbound crossing has resulted in 9 more so far, with 2 more planned for next May and a west bound return on 1st June with a nice long weekend in London. In my opinion its all its cracked up to be. And QM2 is by far the ship I have been on.

Book it and enjoy.

Mike

I will learn to proof read before I post some day...soon, I hope. Corrections are: "I have done both NYC to Southampton and Southampton to NYC, and "And QM2 is by far the best ship I have been on".

Sorry if I confused any one (other than myself.)

Mike

Nice post Big Mike, i agree the Westbound transatlantic has its advantages (many..my preference) especially from the U.S. arriving back with no jetlag and the chance of spending a few days in london before your tip.

Is Cunard all its cracked up to be? the big question. For us the experience of crossing the Atlantic and dressing UP for dinner is magical especially as most (90-95%) make the effort. The ship is the resort with all the experiences inside her which is why we will probably only do crossings on her.

For the Carribbean maybe another line.

I might be wrong any help is welcome.

Fred & Sian

We did SOU-NYC in Apr 2006, and absolutely loved it. We were in Princess Grill,and it far exceeded our expectations. Loved it so much we are going again in Sep 2010,this time eastbound in Queens Grill..can't wait!

Another plus for the Southampton to New York trip is that almost all the days are 25 hours long due to the time changes. When you go in the opposite direction you only have 23 hour days. Yes, for us, Cunard lives up to its promises! We occasionally go on other lines but have found our "niche" in this line and have been on everything from a world cruise to 10 transatlantics and have never been disappointed.

We did our first ever crossing in September this year Southampton to New York. We have never been on a ship and wondered it we would like it.

I'm pleased to say we loved it, the ship is amazing. The best thing is everything you could ever want on a holiday is there.

I loved to dressing for dinner, the entertainment, the spa and having everthing just a few decks away.

I would say try it and see what you think.

We have booked another trip on her.

Catherine

For us, being based in Europe, the choice of direction was based on the "jet lag"

We did not wish to arrive back home feeling washed out after 15 or more hours of overnight travel and the efffects of jet lag.

So we prefer to fly out to New York - daytime - less lag - and return a couple of days later on the QM2 to Southampton - finding no time lage due to the nightly ship's clock time change. The one hour less per night of sleep was not noticed

D

Archived