New departure dock in San Juan?

CINCY40

Two years ago we sailed out of San Juan on the Crown Princess. We left from the dock by Old San Juan.

Now I hear talk that Princess leaves from the "other dock" across the harbor (the one that Royal Caribbean uses). Is this true? Why on earth would they chose this "out of the way" (the younger generation calls it BFE) dock rather than the one so close to interesting shops within EASY walking distance?

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess next week–12/13--and would like to confirm the departure dock.

Thanks.

Our three cruises from San Juan on Princess have all departed from the Pan American Pier in Isla Grande.

Our last B-to-B cruise in November of this year on the Caribbean Princess also departed from the Pan American pier that is directly across from the old Isla Grande airport and closer to the International airport than downtown.

We stayed at the Sheraton in Old Town and had no problem catching a cab for the short ride to the pier.

Princess and RCI's AOS leave from the Pan Am Pier. It's not that new, as we used it in 2002 and at that time, I believe it was a year or two old.

Carnival uses the OSJ (Old San Juan) pier, as does many ships that are making a one-day port call in PR.

The Pan Am Pier is much larger and able to handle the traffic and passenger flow better than the dock at OSJ.

At the risk of sounding ignorant .... which is the Pan American Pier?

Loking at Google maps there are three piers on the northern side of the bay (just opposite the airport) one of which (the right hand one) has a cruise ship docked on it. Is that the one? Equally there is a cruise ship alonside right next to the airport. RCCL from the design of the stern?

Ta

Mike

Two years ago we sailed out of San Juan on the Crown Princess. We left from the dock by Old San Juan.

Now I hear talk that Princess leaves from the "other dock" across the harbor (the one that Royal Caribbean uses). Is this true? Why on earth would they chose this "out of the way" (the younger generation calls it BFE) dock rather than the one so close to interesting shops within EASY walking distance?

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess next week–12/13--and would like to confirm the departure dock.

Thanks.

Princess itineraries that originate in SJ have normally left from the PanAm dock. The year you sailed from there was the exception. As a general rule ... Princess ship's spending a day at SJ use the OSJ docks; ship's that sail from SJ use the PanAm docks.

Although not as convenient to tourist attractions, the PanAm facility is better suited for cruises that use SJ as a home port.

At the risk of sounding ignorant .... which is the Pan American Pier?

Loking at Google maps there are three piers on the northern side of the bay (just opposite the airport) one of which (the right hand one) has a cruise ship docked on it. Is that the one? Equally there is a cruise ship alonside right next to the airport. RCCL from the design of the stern?

Ta

Mike

Maybe this map will help.... http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

Thanks.

I have a site, ********** that shows ships positions at the time you check on them. It showed the Cribbean Princess at the dock on the North side of the harbor on the last two Sundays, Now I'v also seen it at the PA dock in the past so ????. It also has shown that ship at the Havensight dock in St Thomas on Monday which some posts say dosen't happen. So try **********, it's a interesting site. Whatever happens post the results, wife and I are going on Caribbean Princess Jan 31,2010.

Archived