How much walking is a walking tour??

hlb76

Hi everyone I ahve spent many many hours going over this page. I found some cool things to do and see.

I really think we are going to try and keep cost down on this trip as we had a hard time affording to even go. Now its raining again. Gotta love the economy. I still want to make the best of our trip.

I have heard of the free trolley. I love free so that is good but I heard its very crowed and runs late often. I would like to see the forts for sure I think the kids will get a kick out if it. I would also like to see downtown or where ever the shopping is. I know there are walking tours but really how far of a walk is it. I have a 9yo that thinks walking to take out the trash is a little much some days. lol

Maybe we can cab it too I dont know what cabs would cost.

Then which places charge a feee to see them?

Any help will be great. Maybe we will bit the bullet and pull out the old visa and go for a 1/2 tour I just cant decide what to do it all sounds so fun.

Hate to tell you this.............but..........it's a lot of walking! Here's what we did for the "walking" part of our day. We took a trolley (free) and rode it up to San Cristobal Fort. Hopped off there. The forts are about $5/pp I think. They are pretty cool, I think your kids will like seeing at least one of them. The other fort, El Morro, can also be reached by trolley. The trolleys were not crowded the day we were in town. I had researched what I wanted to see in Old San Juan, so directions in hand, we started walking our way down from Fort San Cristobal, walking the streets from one end to the other. It was hot, but at least we were going DOWN hill. If you google something like "walking tour of Old San Juan" you will find some good info.

Thanks. I really want to sight see I think it would be fun. I am having a really hard time with this port and St thomas. I did hear one of the Pirates of the caribeans was filmed at one of the forts.

I have always wanted to do the rainforset thing as well. But hubby has a bad disc in his back. One injection and its mending but we dont want to hurt him anymore but ziplining or anything. Plus I dont know my 9yo would do it either. honestly I may chicken out I hate hieghts but have always wanted to do it.

We are also trying to get the most for our money. We are not tryingto be cheap but trying to spend less. This year just affording to go on cruise was hard enough. We did say we spent $$ to be able to go we dont want to miss out and be cheap once there either.

We (3 gals all almost 40 yrs/old) walked the entire route from where the ship docks up the hilly terrain to El Morro and around back down the hill thru town. It was envigorating, but do not walk the whole route if the sun will be going down during your journey. A 9 yr/old should be able to do it, no sweat, in twice the time we did it. He/she does not like taking out the trash to the end of the driveway......and parents taking him/her on a cruise.....hmmm........walking to El Morro a good experience then, especially when one gazes down at the less-than-desirable dwellings in which people live below the fort, adjacent to the cemetery.

It's VERY hilly and it's hot and HUMID...I love hot weather, but that port got me...I thought I'd pass out before we got back to the ship, and I'm in pretty good shape...if you have health or walking issues, you will want some transportation, unless you're just going to stroll along at a slow pace. Bring something to drink (my mistake!!!!) as you really will need to replace fluids!

There is a website http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/ that has a self guided walking tour you can print out and there are plenty of opportunities to sit and rest along the way. We did it last year and had a great time.

The kids will love El Morro. there are A LOT of stairs however.

The free trolley is good but I'm afraid you'll find yourself wasting your valuable time waiting for it.

We did the ships (Carnival Miracle) excursion walking tour and it was not really a lot of walking to me. The excursion takes a bus up to the fort and then you walk the rest of the way. We plan on walking in March on our own and while there are some hills, it's not a big deal nor is it that far. It is not that hilly.

A 9 year old shouldn't even notice it. My kids (now grown) used to walk everywhere and we never did Walt Disney World with a stroller and the first time we went they were 3 and 6. So, if your child isn't used to walking, I guess it could be an issue, but we made sure our kids exercised and got out and saw things, so they didn't even notice when we walked distances.

Archived