Tipping on the Celebration

To all of you who have been on the Celebration.

I have been on the Destiny a few times. As the dining on the Destiny is fixed it was quite simple for me to tip the 3 chaps on my table at the end of cruise (Head Waiter/Wine Waiter and Table Cleaner).

I am going on the Celebration which as you know does not have fixed dining. Which means I will be on a different table & different waiters every night which is fine with me.

How have you dealt with this in regards to tipping in the main dining room.

Im not tipping loads of waiters. So a common sense answer would be nice from cruisers who have sailed on either the Celebration or Spirit.

Thanks to all and a merry xmas:D

To all of you who have been on the Celebration.

I have been on the Destiny a few times. As the dining on the Destiny is fixed it was quite simple for me to tip the 3 chaps on my table at the end of cruise (Head Waiter/Wine Waiter and Table Cleaner).

I am going on the Celebration which as you know does not have fixed dining. Which means I will be on a different table & different waiters every night which is fine with me.

How have you dealt with this in regards to tipping in the main dining room.

Im not tipping loads of waiters. So a common sense answer would be nice from cruisers who have sailed on either the Celebration or Spirit.

Thanks to all and a merry xmas:D

We usually ask to have the same table reserved for us each evening when on the celebration, so long as we like the waiters who serve us.

We usually eat early about 6.30 ish so it has never been a problem. If you wish, just ask the waiters on the first evening to reserve the table for you. They usually tell us they will reserver the table between 6.30pm -7.pm for us.

Otherwise, if you choose a different table each evening likes lots of people do, then I really dont think the waiters will expect a tip on the last evening.

Us too - we adopt the same approach as all the other posters who've replied as we like to have the same waiters because they get to know you and really do look after you very well (of course there is an incentive!). That makes tipping easier.

Strangely, I did notice on the Destiny there was a tips box at the door of the restaurant on the last night. As you have fixed dining there, and if you were going to tip, then I imagine it's straight forward as you would tip waiters you'd had all week. So I came to the conclusion perhaps it was for the Maitre d', head waiters etc. It didn't actually say though.

It did make me think that on Spirit and Celebration (where I don't recollect seeing such a box) it would be an idea for them to have a communal tips box so that people who have had different waiters all holiday, and have been pleased with the service they've received, could leave a little something in recognition which could either be split up or go towards crew amenities/treats.

Although Thomson have a tips included policy, I think most of us feel the service deserves a little extra. So unless you suggest something on those lines to the Maitre d' , I'm not sure I can offer any further advice as I do agree, you can't tip everyone who you've just had minimal contact with.

Enjoy your holiday though - and season's greetings to you too :D

As a first time cruiser with Thomson, I'd assumed that the 'tips included' policy meant just that :confused: What therefore would you 'suggest' as a ball aprk figure for the waiting staff at the end of the week (we are doing 2 weeks b2b)??

As a first time cruiser with Thomson, I'd assumed that the 'tips included' policy meant just that :confused: What therefore would you 'suggest' as a ball aprk figure for the waiting staff at the end of the week (we are doing 2 weeks b2b)??

Thomson state that gratuities are included, but most people in fixed dinning rooms do tips waiters and bus boys, the general amount depends on service, and really up to you how much. May I suggest roughly £3.50pd and £2.00pd. I do not tip the Maite D.

Great choice for a first cruise, this ship is larger than most Thomson ships, certainly newer and will prove to be a match winner with regular Thomson clients.

This is a tricky one - you never know what others are tipping so don't know if you're being really mean :eek: (perhaps we are looking at tenpin's suggestion!)

Given that tips are supposed to be included, (and in talking to some of the crew in the past I do believe they are better paid than on cruiselines where tipping is levied as part of your booking/account and therefore deemed to be part of the crew renumeration), we don't tip at the level we would if tips weren't included in the cruise price.

Based on a b-2-b we've always gone on the level of about £20 each for the cabin steward and waiter, £15 for his helper (they often do as much for you - and carry the heavy trays around too!) and £10 for the wine steward. That comes to about £4.50 per day (for two of us!). Gosh that does seem a bit mean looking at it like that!

I would like to see a tip box in the Lido restaurant though to place a communal tip in recognition of the waiters in there - you come across so many of them during your holiday but I would like to acknowledge their service, cheerfulness and smiles! :) (It wouldn't be reasonable to tip all of them.) If we are 'regulars' in any of the bars and tend to be served by the same wine steward we also perhaps give them £5/£10 depending on the frequency of visits/service.

Now you've made me really think about it - I realise that when we've had an AI we've perhaps been a bit more generous to bar staff - perhaps because we use their services and drink more :D (that's fair enough) but perhaps it's pyschological because we're going to have a smaller end of trip account! (Now that reasoning isn't on!!!!)

Having said that when I've been able to notice (not really nosy - I just want to feel we're in tune with others and not being really cheap!) other passengers who've had the same waiter for the duration of the trip have also given about £20. Our cabin steward and 'regular' waiter seem very happy with what we give them - and have welcomed us warmly when we've gone back to their table and had the same cabin on subsequent trips. So does that mean they've been satisfied - or that they're just too lovely to register anything else than pleasure at seeing us????

It's a minefield. Can some of you other regulars chip in please - I'm concerned about whether we're being fair now!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kruzseeka,

Being the experienced cruiser of 2 cruises :), No.3 the day after tomorrow.:eek::D

Yes it's a minefield isn't it? Our cruise on the Island Escape last year was our 1st and not having joined here to get advice. And as they said "tips included in price" we did not tip extra. But afterwards I thought we should have done for those we saw regularly.

But on the cruise on the U.S. ship in June we'd pre paid the tips as recommended by the TA. But on the cruise we ate only in the Main Dining Room three times in 2 weeks and used the buffet much more and felt our tips should have gone to those staff instead.

I think as Thomson's /Island Cruises say tips included in price I think a small extra tip at the levels you have suggested is fine, rather than the large amounts the Americans expect.

So next week if we get the same excellent service we had last time I will definitely give a little extra.

Berwyn

Before fixed tipping on Costa the recommended amount was as follows

Cabin staff E3.5

Waiter in MDR E3.5

Bus-boy at table E2.0

Maite D E1,5

We also tipped drinks waiters in bars if regulars at 5/10% of drink prices.

Bare in mind the Euro was much weaker then.

Thomson's fixed (included) gratuities, cover all background staff and wait staff, up until last year this also included a service charge on serving drinks, (have not been since then so it might have changed.)

The general thing about tipping is that you must feel comfortable doing it, and solely on how well the waiters cabin stewards remember your name and indeed drink.

There is no need to tip anyone on Thomson, but a reward of £/1020 would be about right and not OTT for special servers.

Thanks for your reply, Berwyn.

Have a great trip - you must be quite excited now!!! Enjoy! :)

Thank you. DW's not too good though. She had an infection in the parotid gland last week and a swelling from it right in front of her ear. Been on antibiotics. She's terrified they won't let her on the ship thinking she's got Swine Flu!!

Berwyn

CYMRO1953 your going a bit of subject. But I hope all is well.

Tenpin - I hope you meant 10 or 20 pounds and not £1020 as stated on your post.

I dont do the big cruise lines because I dont believe I should be told what to pay and to whom. Plus theres tooooo many passengers.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies regarding Thomson's Ships.

We generally go for an early siting on Destiny so ill do the same and ask for the same table on the Celebration.

Im not made of money, but as I said b4, I generally give the waiting staff £20 pound each. (per cruise and not per week). Same as my favourate bar waiter (only one "though") and my Cabin Cleaner. Generally around £100 in total. Not bad for the good service provided for me the wife and daughter.

CYMRO1953 your going a bit of subject. But I hope all is well.

thanks, We'll prop her upright between me and the boys and fill her full of Paracetamol and Antibiotics to get her aboard. Then she can collapse in the balcony chair with a drink. Anyway she's got 4 hours to sleep on the plane on the way there and rest.

Berwyn

As everybody else has said ,if you get good service the first night ,just ask the maitre'd for the waiter by name and even if their area is full they will claim a table from somebody elses area and fit you in. By the second night they will greet you by name when you walk in.Amazing when you think there is 1000plus passengers.:)

We've always given a standard 10 pounds/euros each to the waiter, wine waiter and cabin steward. Not a lot, I know, but I take the view that it's better than nothing and tips are supposed to be included! At a guess, there are far more people who tip nothing than something so I wouldn't worry about it - they are not expected.

VWGOLF,

I can agree with your last statement regarding the number of people who do not give a tip.

Last trip on the Destiny in Aug. Me the Wife and Daughter were on a table for 8 right in the middle front. (Great table). Anyway the last night we were the only people on the table. All the rest of the table quest Im assuming ate in the Lido. Spoke to a another friend and he said the Lido Rest on the last night was packed. Wonder Why. ??

On the last night the waiters were doing a little sing along as they do most nights. During this sing along a lot of cruisers got up and left. Obviously got out quick so they would not have a face to face with their waiters. It was like the start of a marathon. They were walking that fast. Very Obvious I must say.

Like you, I give the 3 table waiters each a tenner a week. 20 if im there for 2 weeks. Not a lot but its the thought that counts. At least I didnt do a runner like a lot of folk.

:D

I cant believe some of the comments on this thread. what is the point of having a policy of tips included, if some are going to worry about what you should orshould not tip to which staff. The only person we were in regular contact with was the cabin boy. we had a different waiter each night in the meridian and also a different drinks waiter. the staff in the Lido restaurant work just as hard and are every bit as pleasant, why should they dip out, which is surely the whole point of all inclusive tipping, and takes care of ALL the staff, including all those who work very hard behind the scenes and are never seen at all. It is a cashless ship and none of the waiters anywhere looked as if they were looking for tips, which is a great way of doing business as far as I am concerned, and one less thing to worry about on a lovely holiday

I cant believe some of the comments on this thread. what is the point of having a policy of tips included, if some are going to worry about what you should orshould not tip to which staff. The only person we were in regular contact with was the cabin boy. we had a different waiter each night in the meridian and also a different drinks waiter. the staff in the Lido restaurant work just as hard and are every bit as pleasant, why should they dip out, which is surely the whole point of all inclusive tipping, and takes care of ALL the staff, including all those who work very hard behind the scenes and are never seen at all. It is a cashless ship and none of the waiters anywhere looked as if they were looking for tips, which is a great way of doing business as far as I am concerned, and one less thing to worry about on a lovely holiday

Some of the waiters go beyond what you should expect for good service and go the extra mile to make your holiday special. On the Spirit, the waiters at our table made it the most memorable holiday we have ever had. Each evening they performed magic tricks for my son and daughter. Made my wife lovely paper roses, sang to us and generally made it a holiday never to forget.

For this I left them a substantial tip. They provided service beyond anyone could reasonably expect. I for for one will never be able to thank them enough for that unforgettable holiday.

if you do not wish to tip that is your prerogative,however I think they are worth it.

I cant believe some of the comments on this thread. what is the point of having a policy of tips included, if some are going to worry about what you should orshould not tip to which staff.

What is there not to believe? Surely it's ok to have a discussion with fellow Thomson passengers about their thoughts/opinions/level of tipping which they feel they may wish to consider. If you don't agree with the sentiments expressed as john-l has said, that's your prerogative, just as it's mine and others to debate our respective views

The only person we were in regular contact with was the cabin boy. we had a different waiter each night in the meridian and also a different drinks waiter.

We went to the same table each night in the Meridian therefore did have the same waiters who were excellent and we felt we wished to recognise the service they provided (even without the expectation of a tip)

the staff in the Lido restaurant work just as hard and are every bit as pleasant, why should they dip out,

I did make the point that i think a 'communal' tipping box should be put out on the last night in the Lido to cover this - I would like to acknowledge their service too.

which is surely the whole point of all inclusive tipping, and takes care of ALL the staff, including all those who work very hard behind the scenes and are never seen at all.

At least they get some recognition from Thomson's policy

It is a cashless ship and none of the waiters anywhere looked as if they were looking for tips, which is a great way of doing business as far as I am concerned, and one less thing to worry about on a lovely holiday

All the more reason in my book to value them - it is after all the crew who make our holiday special and create the friendly atmosphere on board - perhaps if no one ever tipped they wouldn't be so happy!!

We have sailed the celebration twice. As others have stated, we liked a particular waiter and asked for him. After the 2nd day, the maitre d recognised us as we approached the restaurant and told the ones seating us to take us to Jordel, our waiter.

We found they would even go to another restaurant to get a desert not on the main restaurant menu one evening for our son.

Although tips are included we decided to tip the waiter and bus boy ourselves as they deserved it.

Have a good cruise

On Spirit recently I used the same table in the Compass Rose each evening and was well looked after so I tipped at the end. One evening I was one of a party invited to dine with the social hostess and when I popped along to let them know the waiters were upset, 'no, stay here sir, please'. I pointed out it was a official invitation so I could hardly refuse and it was just one meal. I took a liking to a particular beer and they did not stock it in Horizons. No problem, they had stock brought from another bar just for me, my own private stock, straight in the cooler, excellent service.

They have a very friendly crew. On formal night I was sitting at the bar and the staff were calling me Sir Dave. There was a queue of passengers waiting to get their photos taken and I was getting some funny looks, I wonder if some were thinking I was nobility or some sort of celebrity!. Of course they address everyone the same way once they get to know you. On Celebration they called the Captain Sir Alan, to his face!.

Archived