Best way to say no to peddlers

chadci

One of the great things about having our own guide (through Marva Shaw) in Ocho Rios is that we were not hassled by vendors at all. Even when we were in areas with vendors, they stayed back and didn't bother us.

In other areas, a firm "no thank you," with no break in stride, has worked well for me.

In Jamaica, what I've experienced is that while in high season, they are much more apt to take your first "no, thank you" and leave you alone or they are busy with others and don't bother with you at all. I have no problem during high season and enjoy myself everywhere. In low season it was so bad that every 20 feet we were yelled to "come over, come over". Saying "no thank you" nicely did not always work. We got the "you so rude lady", and some very uh, suggestive comments that were completely unprovoked. My husband was NOT happy with that. I'm not usually bothered and don't mind the occasional intrusion, but it was so bad that we stopped walking and returned to the hotel. Could not have a conversation with my husband without being hounded or yelled at every 30 seconds. I will never go to Jamaica in low season again.

In Jamaica, what I've experienced is that while in high season, they are much more apt to take your first "no, thank you" and leave you alone or they are busy with others and don't bother with you at all. I have no problem during high season and enjoy myself everywhere. In low season it was so bad that every 20 feet we were yelled to "come over, come over". Saying "no thank you" nicely did not always work. We got the "you so rude lady", and some very uh, suggestive comments that were completely unprovoked. My husband was NOT happy with that. I'm not usually bothered and don't mind the occasional intrusion, but it was so bad that we stopped walking and returned to the hotel. Could not have a conversation with my husband without being hounded or yelled at every 30 seconds. I will never go to Jamaica in low season again.

No question, any form of no works much better when there are many more tourists than vendors.

In Jamaica, what I've experienced is that while in high season, they are much more apt to take your first "no, thank you" and leave you alone or they are busy with others and don't bother with you at all. I have no problem during high season and enjoy myself everywhere. In low season it was so bad that every 20 feet we were yelled to "come over, come over". Saying "no thank you" nicely did not always work. We got the "you so rude lady", and some very uh, suggestive comments that were completely unprovoked.

That's what I'm talking about.

• 2 weeks later...
Me too.

I just say - Do not speak english... and walk away.

Work like a charm. They do not know what to say and what to do...:D:p;)

I am laughing because I thought I was so clever. Here is what I have done for years. I speak Spanish and my wife speaks Polish. We switch up and I answer them in Spanish if I know Spanish isn't spoken, and my wife uses Polish when we aren't sure (its a pretty safe bet in the Caribbean). It works like a charm and the vendors just look confused. I especially find this necessary in Jamaica because I have found that a "no thank you" in English may result in a hostile (with veiled threat) of a response from the vendor.

I answer them in Spanish if I know Spanish isn't spoken, and my wife uses Polish when we aren't sure (its a pretty safe bet in the Caribbean). It works like a charm and the vendors just look confused. I especially find this necessary in Jamaica because I have found that a "no thank you" in English may result in a hostile (with veiled threat) of a response from the vendor.

Best Idea, Colonial.

Also Known As:

Buffalo them with Bull*****.

;);):D;);)

During our stop in Freeport, Bahamas we went to Xanadu Beach for the day. The beach is gorgeous, but the beach vendors come swooping in like sharks, and they don't leave you alone. All we wanted to do was have a nice relaxing day on the beach, but it was next to impossible. From the time we got near the beach, the vendors sitting on the walls immediately begin pestering everyone to buy jewelry, have your hair braided, buy drinks, etc. It is non-stop and never ending. A polite "no" will not do. They will stand over you, and come at you one after the other. In the one and one half hours we spent at the beach everyone there was approached by at least 25 vendors (seriously). If you did not buy from them the first time, they return again and again.

The female vendor was now on her fourth approach to us, and I was tired of telling her "no thank you". She thought I was being rude to her by not answering, and told me so, and then to prove her point, kicked the sand onto me. That was enough. We packed up our things and left the beach. This was a first.

Since my husband is a native Dutch speaker and I can speak "just enough Dutch" to get myself into trouble, we found that answering the peddlers in Dutch worked well in Ocho Rios and in Labadee. You can say: "Nay, dank u, Ik heb geen interesse" (No thank you, I am not interested), or just "nay, nay" (no, no). The fun part is when the peddlers then want to interact with you to figure out what language you are speaking. Many of them are fluent in quite a few languages, but we never ran into one that could speak Dutch!!

a polite no thank you...and keep walking has always been sufficient for us

Absolutely keep walking IF you are walking. If, however, you are lying on the beach and want to continue to do so, unless you start rolling towards and into the water, that polite no just won't work. You are still their captive audience.

If you decide to do the Dunn's River Falls excursion in Jamica..........DO NOT WALK THROUGH THE STRAW MARKET!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:. They will eat you up, then spit you out.:D.

I don't know of any way of avoiding the straw market as it is the designated exit path enforced by security. We survived quite easily by walking through at a brisk pace while smiling and saying no thank you. It worked. You only get into a bad situation by stopping to answer back or letting them hand you somthing.

Please do not create any more fear than necessary with posts like this.:mad:

Archived