Best way to say no to peddlers

chadci

I've been to T-J, the Holy Land and a few other places where peddlers just put stuff on you, say it's free but then want $20, I've even had a few guys in my group get grabbed for not buying anything... I'm a big guy and never had too much issue myself.

I'm concerned about my bride to be. She's never been anywhere like that and from what I understand Jamica and a few other places are pretty bad about this sort of thing. What are some good tips I can pass along to her. I talked to her about it the other night, trying not to scare her but I'm trying to prep her.

Saying "No, thank you" and moving away quickly has always worked for me and my husband. There's no need for rudeness or hostility--the merchants are making their livings and this is how they operate. Assertive or aggressive sales techniques work for them a good bit of the time, but they won't go out of their way to pursue you if you're firm and polite. There are probably plenty of other tourists behind you they can try!

Well, I just say "No, Thank You" and keep walking!

If you truly aren't interested in buying, then don't even stop and look.

People whine all the time about the tour vendors & hair braiders outside the port building in Nassau. We simply say "No, Thank You" and keep walking. Never had a problem.

Once you have said No, do not make eye contact with them and do not say another word to them. Do not touch any of their products. Presuming you are walking, if necessary, used some object like a car or bus, light poll, another person to brush off the pest. Just like a basketball player goes around a pick.

I've been to T-J, the Holy Land and a few other places where peddlers just put stuff on you, say it's free but then want $20, I've even had a few guys in my group get grabbed for not buying anything... I'm a big guy and never had too much issue myself.

I'm concerned about my bride to be. She's never been anywhere like that and from what I understand Jamica and a few other places are pretty bad about this sort of thing. What are some good tips I can pass along to her. I talked to her about it the other night, trying not to scare her but I'm trying to prep her.

There is no trick to it --- anywhere.

Just keep walking, keep a smile on your face and say "no thanks".

If you stop, they have you.

If you indulge in conversation, they have you.

If you look at their merchandise, they have you.

Just keep moving.

Thanks guys.

We'll be stopping in Ocho Rios and have not planned on any excursions as we have them planned in Cozumel and Georgetown. Any tips on what to do in Ocho Rios without "doing something"?

On our last stop in Ocho Rio's we simply walked the short walk to Island Village (past the port area gate and short walk down the sidewalk on the right) and walked around the shops. Enjoyed speaking to some of the locals we encountered IN the Village that had handmade good to purchase. At the right times there will be musicans playing in the center area of the village. There is a MargiritaVille located there if you wish a drink or something to eat. There is also a small beach(no vendors allowed on the beach) where you could rent lounge chairs and enjoy the beach for a while if you wished. Not a great beach but on a nice day still an enjoyable time if that is something you enjoy. We would have except it was overcast and sprinkling the day we were there.

There are locals during this short walk that will ask if you need a taxi somewhere or attempt to get you to do a tour or hair braiding, ect. but we always say no thank you and keep walking and experence no problems. This last time we told one of the gentleman asking if we wished an island tour that we had been there a few months before and enjoyed his country- he beamed and thanked us and told us to enjoy our day without another word. Often if you do stop and talk to those attempting to sell you something they only try harder to get you to buy, likewise if you totally ignor them and doesn't simply say "no thank you" and then keep walking they will sometimes continue to follow you considering you rude to totally ignor them.

If you wish to do more shopping walk out of the port gates down the sidewalk to the main street and go to your left. Not far down on the opposite side of the street is another shopping mall area the Taj Mahal which has a number of different store (many jewelry stores). You will encounter street beggers along this short distance but just simply keep walking and they will not bother you. No different than found in many large US cities. Remember NOT to accept anything in you hand that anyone says is free. It is NOT and once it is in your hand it is extremely difficult to give it back and they do expect you will pay something for it.

We enjoy Ocho Rio's and hope you have a good day there.:)

Only repeating...

a) don't ignore. say No Thanks.

b) don't pick up any items to 'browse'.

c) keep moving, even if you need to look around and find your way, always look as you have a known destination in mind.

It may seem polite to at least 'look', but that only wastes their time and yours. If you want a tshirt, great. If not, don't try to appease, keep moving.

Deal with it like you would deal with telephone marketers. Really good advice here. Another thing to try is this: raise your index finger (NO not your middle finger!) and waggle your hand back and forth while shaking your head No. In many countries, this is a definitive NO.

I love what my father does when asked for money by a panhandler (and would work in this situation as well). When he is approached and asked for money by someone, he will stop and reply "I'm sorry, I don't dance". The person asking usually asks again, thinking my father must have heard him wrong. He will then reply "I just never learned to dance, perhaps one day I will" or something along those lines.(pick your own off the topic subject to discuss) By this time the person asking starts questioning both the sanity of my father and his own ability to ask the correct questions. It doesn't take much more before they get fed up and leave him alone, but while it is going on, it's pretty amusing!

I love what my father does when asked for money by a panhandler (and would work in this situation as well). When he is approached and asked for money by someone, he will stop and reply "I'm sorry, I don't dance". The person asking usually asks again, thinking my father must have heard him wrong. He will then reply "I just never learned to dance, perhaps one day I will" or something along those lines.(pick your own off the topic subject to discuss) By this time the person asking starts questioning both the sanity of my father and his own ability to ask the correct questions. It doesn't take much more before they get fed up and leave him alone, but while it is going on, it's pretty amusing!

I really like this one. I shall have to try it. At least it would be amusing. You gotta live like you're dying.

I just speak to them in broken german with a confused look on my face. Was was ... Nein sprechen sie... I am not trying to be a smart ass but it werks. danke lee

Mich auch. Tragen Sie Unterwäsche? Ich spreche nicht Englisch. Kommen Sie weg.

It gets them so confused and they wander away.

Thanks again for the tips. I think we might just book this for our day in Jamica, Mon

http://www.peattaylor.com/island_tour.html

This is the best idea. I found out at Tianamen Square in Bejing that a good TourGuide is also a body guard.

In Jamaica, I will use Wentworth Pearson. I used him on my Ruby Princess Inaugural cruise and he is great. Very reasonable and he knows everyone and nobody messes with him. Very responsive to your e-mails.

Set this up ahead of time and he will meet you at the Pier.

http://www.wentworthtours.com/

;);):D;);)

Only repeating...

a) don't ignore. say No Thanks.

b) don't pick up any items to 'browse'.

c) keep moving, even if you need to look around and find your way, always look as you have a known destination in mind.

It may seem polite to at least 'look', but that only wastes their time and yours. If you want a tshirt, great. If not, don't try to appease, keep moving.

Good advice. It's also good to keep your hands in your pockets (or use your hands to hug-hold a large beach bag or towel). They'll hand you things, and it's sort of human nature to take what's put into your hand; once you are holding it, they consider it sold. Some like to toss things at you, and your first reaction is to try to catch it. Instruct small children to keep their hands in their pockets -- or to hold onto your hands. Another popular technique is to call out loudly that they wish to give your children "a gift". Talk to your kids about this ahead of time.

If you do these things -- especially the keep walking part -- they'll move on to the next people. They don't want to waste time with people who aren't going to buy; they can't afford to waste time with non-buyers.

People who've never traveled much tend to get upset by these people. I don't take any of their sales techniques personally. It's the way they make their living. They're competing with a large number of sellers for a limited number of clients.

They will not touch you. They will not chase you down; they can't -- chasing after a non-buyer would mean leaving their mechandise and passing up new, potential clients.

Personally, I didn't see anything that interested me in the least. Carved wood, bright-colored paintings. Junk. My husband did buy coffee, jerk spices, and rum in the shops . . . but the straw market people just have junk.

Archived