Azamara Reveals Details Of Major Transformation

LauraS

We were on the SilverSea PAII in July and it was both smart casual and all inclusive of gratuities and drinks. You could have Champagne or scotch (I believe just single malt - I don't know anything about scotch) all day long.

The pricing between SilverSea and Oceania looks similar to me and that was why I was trying to see which direction these companies are going. The Azamara cruises I am looking at (non Carribean) are very high at $5,000 per passenger for lowest Verandah on a 14 night, so of course you will compare itinerary along with what is included.

I would certainly agree that $5000 pp is far in excess of what any Caribbean Cruise would be worth to me. This is, of course, my concern with the new policies. Until the changes were announced, Azamara had appeared to have created a very loyal and diverse following with many repeat cruisers. This is the first time in three years that we have not had an Azamra cruise booked and it does feel a little strange. For us, one of the strong attractions to the line was the relaxed, friendly, and comfortable atmosphere on board; if this were to change because the experience is becoming more "posh" then that would do us in also.

I think that it will be interesting to see what the comments are as the changes are actually rolled out and who are the people actually making them.

The new CEO may be trying to discourage the charter business that appears is becoming the primary focus of his former employer. If raising prices maintains or improves the quality and ambiance for individual travelers and small family groups, then I definitely would pay more.

The new CEO may be trying to discourage the charter business that appears is becoming the primary focus of his former employer. If raising prices maintains or improves the quality and ambiance for individual travelers and small family groups, then I definitely would pay more.

But then it becomes a question of "How Much More" does it not? And that, I submit, is where management does have to be careful. I think that the line between value and insufficient value may become thinner and thinner as the economy re-organized. For us, Azamara has been a great experience and great value. I would personally not like to have to keep those verbs in the past tense.

Azamara's price for the 10 day cruise we were interested in was well over $5800 per person with port fees and taxes for a veranda room (not the better veranda room), and it DIDN'T include air fare. Oceania is more competitive, and Azamara isn't even close to competing with Crystal Cruises. In other words, they've put themselves in limbo. It's a shame. I wish I had discovered them when their fares made sense.

But then it becomes a question of "How Much More" does it not? And that, I submit, is where management does have to be careful. I think that the line between value and insufficient value may become thinner and thinner as the economy re-organized. For us, Azamara has been a great experience and great value. I would personally not like to have to keep those verbs in the past tense.

Feb will be our 8th trip on Azamara. Do the math from their launching. We are also watching very closely and we love Az. Only so much wine or soft drinks we want to consume!:rolleyes:

Steve

But then it becomes a question of "How Much More" does it not?

Totally agree. They will need to find that threshold point where they maintain the loyal clientele and raise fares in a way that improves the quality of the product but it remains affordable to the majority. Risky strategy or brilliant marketing -- Time will tell.

Azamara's price for the 10 day cruise we were interested in was well over $5800 per person with port fees and taxes for a veranda room (not the better veranda room), and it DIDN'T include air fare. Oceania is more competitive, and Azamara isn't even close to competing with Crystal Cruises. In other words, they've put themselves in limbo. It's a shame. I wish I had discovered them when their fares made sense.

That was my point. At $5K plus, we will be looking at SilverSea.

Over $5800? Wow! What cruise is this?

"Our" cruise (14 days - May 2010) still sells for under $4000 for a verandah (not the "better" one).. and most cruises I looked at in 20101 are well under $5000 (including taxes)..

Miriam

Over $5800? Wow! What cruise is this?

"Our" cruise (14 days - May 2010) still sells for under $4000 for a verandah (not the "better" one).. and most cruises I looked at in 20101 are well under $5000 (including taxes)..

Miriam

Today:

Lowest Verandah before taxes

June 10 $5,749 (only 10 nights)

Feb 6 $4,969 (14 nights before taxes, gratuities not included)

Today:

Lowest Verandah before taxes

June 10 $5,749 (only 10 nights)

Feb 6 $4,969 (14 nights before taxes, gratuities not included)

Ok.. saw it.. It's all very strange.

This cruise ( 10 days , Greek Islands) sells (cheapest balcony) indeed for $5,749 (additional taxes $96) pp.. The very same cruise starting July the 2nd sells "only" for $ 3,599 !!

Miriam

you couldn't PAY ME to go to Greece in July...

it will be hotter than hell there, in addition there's a probable chance of the summer fires which add to the air quality.

that's why the higher price

So, I have to ask.... why deploy the ship there in July ? Why not send her elsewhere, if it's that bad ? Just asking.

Pier - Well keep watching the price - I've got to think bookings are not that strong with the higher prices, although it does seem O's trips have sold well at higher prices. Maybe some sales will appear shortly. It will be interesting when the Europe 2011 itineraries come out on O and A to see where they price them.

I've already gotten a 50% off promotional flyer for 2010 cruises.

you couldn't PAY ME to go to Greece in July...

it will be hotter than hell there, in addition there's a probable chance of the summer fires which add to the air quality.

that's why the higher price

I lived there in July!

50% off of what?

Cruise fare. See if this link works: http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/AZ/Relaunch/lp.html?cid=BNCP1209_CEL

Click on "explore Club Cruises 50% savings", although it really doesn't say much. And it says it's valid for sailings starting in the Europe 2010 season, but the effective date is December 14, 2010. Guess the proofreader was fired.

:mad: My wife and I have been enthusiastic Celebrity cruisers for a number of years. Like many others we were reluctant to try the Azamara ships when they first appeared, partly because of their initial teething problems, partly because they were more expensive than Celebrity and partly because we were not sure if this size and style of ship would suit us. However in Spring 2009 we decided to give Azamara a test run, on Journey in the Med. We were absolutely delighted and immediately booked another cruise, on Quest, for later in the year. We talked to many other passengers who had had the same feelings and experience as ourselves. It soon became apparent that, after a rather slow start Azamara had now got it right and were begining to attract their own clientele of loyal repeat guests. We were all set to book another cruise in 2010, so imagine our dissapointment and surprise when Azamara announced their unnecessary rebranding to Azamara Club together with a phenomenal, and for us prohibitive, increase in prices. Inclusive wine with meals and complimentary speciality coffe may seem attractive but, when you do the sums there is no way that these apparent benefits justify the enourmouse hike in cruise prices, and some of the so-called improvements, such as more days in port, meaning fewer days at sea, are obviously money savers mainly benefitting the company. So sad, Azamara, having started to build up your own loyal following, why destroy the good work and go back to square one? Is this the way to reward, and retain, your Captain's Club members for their loyalty and support? I think not. The magnitude of your price increases, out of all proportion to the so called benefits or improvements, will, unfortunately prevent many of us from being able to sail with Azamara in the future.

This is exactly the point that I was trying to make, well said.

The real question will be to see what the overall net effect is in the market going forward. It is clear that a number of Azamara's "Base" feel that they are now priced out of the market and the issue will revolve around whether or not Azamara Club Cruises can attract sufficient new and more affluent cruises to replace them.

For us, it will be shopping for deals for the foreseeable future.

It will be interesting to see how this strings out in the long run.

Clearly the "base," as loyal as it may be, is not producing the kind of net revenue Azamara needs to operate. Thus, I appreciate the need to raise prices, sweetened with additional amenities. If I were second-guessing management, I would have suggested raising prices in smaller increments, allowing the current base to continue cruising while the new segment is found and "hooked." Sort of like the boiling a frog in a pot strategy (gradually raise the temperature). But I'm sure their experienced management looked into the pros & cons of that approach.

Archived