Azamara Reveals Details Of Major Transformation

LauraS

Hi Jade! Oceania is not all-inclusive, but starting in April 2010 they will include unlimited soft drinks & bottled water. On some sailings, they did provide PPG and substantial OBC, but on a time-limited offer. It's still pretty easy to find a TA that covers PPG. We recently completed our first Oceania cruise & thought it was absolutely wonderful. We're booked to sail a similar itinerary on Azamara in April 2010 so it should be interesting to compare.

Hi MightyQuinn! For some reason I thought Oceana was a "luxury" line with all inclusive drinks. In any event looking forward to your comparison.

Actually, because of the pricing I'd actually love to see a review with SilverSeas (pricing is starting to look similar). I actually believe when prices are mostly starting at 5K they should include water and colas. The one thing we are really missing with the Feb departure is the additional $82.00pp or so we will have to pay for colas just so we aren't bothered with receipts. The pre-paid gratuities were offered by Azamara earlier this year, and your are correct it would have been easy to get a TA to cover.

I'm actually interested in whether you have more HAL cruises planned?

Hi MightyQuinn! I'm actually interested in whether you have more HAL cruises planned?
Actually no, we don't have any HAL cruises planned at the moment. We're doing an Azamara transAtlantic in April 2010 and we're uncertain what's next after that. We're considering HAL Rotterdam for a 35-nite Tahiti & South Pacific in Sept 2010 but it's in competition with extended land trips to SE Asia or Uganda/Rwanda. Still trying to figure it all out.

I must say that while we like HAL & all our 4-star Mariner perks, we're less enthused with them after our Oceania cruise. Oceania is kinda like HAL used to be - more of a premium product. We'll probably continue to sail HAL if we get a sweet deal. But we're really looking forward to seeing if Azamara will deliver the goods as well as Oceania. Choice is always good. :):)

Oceania is not all-inclusive, but starting in April 2010 they will include unlimited soft drinks & bottled water.

Hi MightyQuinn !

I am pretty sure that I read that Oceania will include soft drinks and bottled water for Concierge Class Cabins and above. I do not believe that benefit is for all passengers.

It sounds like Azamara is copying Oceania? Does Oceania have wine with lunch and dinner?
No Oceania doesn't have wine with lunch & dinner. But stay tuned ....;);)

I don't see it that Oceania or Azamara is copying the other. Rather I see it as cruise lines who happen to have identical vessels & who want to appeal to a similar demographic. Copy what? Who has proprietary rights to free soft drinks & bottled water? I don't get it.

Hi MightyQuinn !

I am pretty sure that I read that Oceania will include soft drinks and bottled water for Concierge Class Cabins and above. I do not believe that benefit is for all passengers.

Andy

Starting with the European sailings in April

Sodas & bottled water is included for ALL

From the promotions

-Acclaimed Canyon Ranch SpaClub® treatments and cuisine

-Free and unlimited soft drinks and bottled water throughout the ship

-Voyages to Africa for the first time in the history of Oceania Cruises

-All-New itineraries in South America

Lyn

Hi MightyQuinn !

Actually Host Andy, I'm pretty sure that as of April 2010 Oceania will provide free & unlimited soft drinks & bottled water for every pax, regardless of cabin status.

Hi MightyQuinn !

You can find the information under the April 2nd announcement

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/mediacenter.aspx

. It was'nt broke, why fix it? I guess new management must make changes.

Because they were not making enough money to sustain the business - their low prices were simply to introduce the new cruise line and gain a following (much like Oceania did when they started and then raised their prices once established). The honeymoon is over and people have to get over it as well. Take it or leave it - there are many cruise lines to choose from.

Actually Host Andy, I'm pretty sure that as of April 2010 Oceania will provide free & unlimited soft drinks & bottled water for every pax, regardless of cabin status.

You can find the information under the April 2nd announcement

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/mediacenter.aspx

Hi MightyQuinn & LHT !

LHT : Thanks for the link. It is clear, Oceania will be offering soda and water to everyone. The funny part, is if you visit their website, and click on Concierge Class category, it appears as if bottled water and soda are only available to Concierge Class and above.

Oceania should look into updating to their website.

Hi MightyQuinn & LHT !

LHT : Thanks for the link. It is clear, Oceania will be offering soda and water to everyone. The funny part, is if you visit their website, and click on Concierge Class category, it appears as if bottled water and soda are only available to Concierge Class and above.

I do not think it was ever complimentary in those CAT

it also states

Refrigerated mini-bar with free and unlimited soft drinks and bottled water (beginning with Europe 2010 voyages)

a while back people jump to the conclusion that it was included on upcoming cruise so Oceania added the (beginning with Europe 2010 voyages) ;)

Well said Host Andy! And the same notice could be given to most other cruise lines. :):)

I only check the websites of HAL, Oceania & Azamara and many times I've found that they're outdated. I'm so grateful for CC for real-time current info!

I do not think it was ever complimentary in those CAT

it also states

Refrigerated mini-bar with free and unlimited soft drinks and bottled water (beginning with Europe 2010 voyages)

a while back people jump to the conclusion that it was included on upcoming cruise so Oceania added the (beginning with Europe 2010 voyages) ;)

I saw this too and that was why I asked what exactly was included on Oceania...

I just have to make the observation, that there is, at least in my case, a practical limit to how much I can or will drink, and hence what the value of "inclusive cruising" is to me. We have enjoyed all three of our Azamara Cruises immensely, primarily because of the size of the ship, the service and commitment that the crew showed to us, and the more creative itineraries. On a two week cruise, we probably did not spend over $200 on wine/liquor and basically we are not soft drink addicts. Given that, for us at least, we have to continue to perceive the value in Azamara as the components mentioned above; the beverage additions are not worth the difference to us by themselves.

I think that there is a fine line here; if Azamara is going to become a clone of SilverSea or Oceania, then I think that they may loose us. On the other hand, there is always the possibility that they will overshoot the line and then there will be bargains to have in the future as well.

But the line is there and I think that Azamara does have to be very careful.

Just musing......

Come over the the Oceania forum.

Do not want to turn this into the Oceania thread;)

Lyn

Agreed, Lyn, this is not the place to promote Oceania. On the other hand, I very much dislike seeing misconceptions about Oceania (or any other cruise line) posted as if they are facts. I will continue to correct them when I see them.

I am amused by folks who lump Oceania in with luxury lines like Crystal, Silverseas or Regent. Oceania is a premium line, above the mass merchant lines like Celebrity, HAL and Princess, but below the true luxury lines.

I am also amused by the folks who don't want Azamara to become like Oceania. Azamara was started as a direct and almost item-for-item copy of Oceania, even to the extent of hiring some Oceania executives. However, they never quite got over their mass-market roots, and never quite succeeded in copying Oceania, which is why they have hired a new executive from a true luxury line to try and set Azamara apart, both from Oceania and from the mass market roots of Azamara's parent companies.

I hope they succeed. I never saw the point in sailing on a less-than-perfect copy of Oceania, even at reduced prices, as long as Oceania was available. I would love to sail on a "new" Azamara that truly sets itself apart in the same price level as Oceania. I'll be watching carefully, and if they really do introduce something new, I'll be anxious to try it.

So far, however, in my opinion, there are as many negatives about the new policies as there are positives, and I'm not yet tempted.

On the other hand, I very much dislike seeing misconceptions about Oceania (or any other cruise line) posted as if they are facts. I will continue to correct them when I see them.
Like you, I appreciate reliable & accurate info, whatever the cruise line. I don’t see any misconceptions about Oceania being posted here. I did a quick search on this thread & could find absolutely no mention of Oceania at all until last nite when a question arose if Oceania was all-inclusive. That was quickly answered correctly with no embellishment.

I also am amused by the comparisons that are often made between Azamara & Oceania. I’m equally entertained by the passionate defenses made by loyalists in support of their favorite. It’s natural that such speculation will happen & even escalate given the recent moves by both cruise lines.

As a recent first-time Oceania cruiser, I was very impressed with their on-board product. And from everything I’ve read on CC, both fact & opinion, Azamara should also deliver a premium cruise experience. I’m very much looking forward to our first cruise on Azamara so I can form my own impressions. ;);)

I think that there is a fine line here; if Azamara is going to become a clone of SilverSea or Oceania, then I think that they may loose us. On the other hand, there is always the possibility that they will overshoot the line and then there will be bargains to have in the future as well.

But the line is there and I think that Azamara does have to be very careful.

Just musing......

We were on the SilverSea PAII in July and it was both smart casual and all inclusive of gratuities and drinks. You could have Champagne or scotch (I believe just single malt - I don't know anything about scotch) all day long.

The pricing between SilverSea and Oceania looks similar to me and that was why I was trying to see which direction these companies are going. The Azamara cruises I am looking at (non Carribean) are very high at $5,000 per passenger for lowest Verandah on a 14 night, so of course you will compare itinerary along with what is included.

• 3 weeks later...

We've been loyal Oceania passengers. A few days ago we found an Azamara cruise with an itinerary we really like. But when we got the price from our TA, who always gives us a good discount, we felt it was just too high for what they are offering. (I wish we had found it before they raised their prices.) Raising their prices isn't what will make Azamara a true competitor of Oceania or Crystal Cruises. I'll take free air fare and hundreds of dollars of shipboard credit over free wine and fancy tea any day.

Pier - Well keep watching the price - I've got to think bookings are not that strong with the higher prices, although it does seem O's trips have sold well at higher prices. Maybe some sales will appear shortly. It will be interesting when the Europe 2011 itineraries come out on O and A to see where they price them.

Archived