New ADONIA

Captain Rhone

100% plus in agreement with you. Suggest original poster looks at Cruise Critic Ocean Village pages to see what their passengers think. And it is not, despite Carnival's belief that they are, prepared to switch to P&O. And this is not because we are too rough or cannot afford to do so, it is because we are on holiday and do not want to dress up. Speaking of affordability OV Caribbean cruises are retailing for a lot more than Ventura this winter which speaks volumes. I may also ask why Carnival are dropping a brand that has the highest satisfaction scores in their UK fleet, rarely discount, sail full on every cruise. Using the excuse that fly cruising is too expensive is nonsense when they are fly cruising P&O out of the Caribbean. If Carnival don't wake up soon, they are going to lose an enormous amount of both passengers, goodwill and profit.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Iam sure my wife and I would fit a P&O profile too, but we want a holiday not a fancy dress parade!

Respect your opinions but I don't see what is SO bad about putting a jacket & tie on twice a week for dinner. I presume all the contributors are men (sorry if I missed some), what do the ladies think about dressing up? I can take it or leave it, but my wife, who seldom is out of wellies, loves the chance to dress up.....comments please.

I for one love the formal nights and I enjoy putting me glad rags on, which is one of the reasons we cruise P&O.

John- it came as a big shock to us when we were on Aurora, to discover that we had to stay dressed that way all evening- plus there were three dress codes, to complicate matters. DH said that that was it!- and we swapped to NCL.

We went on Ventura because of a special offer from our TA, of door to ship travel, which makes a big difference from Cumbria. This was so much more relaxed, and I'm sure we'll use her again.

It's not the fact of wearing the jacket and tie so much as being TOLD what is acceptable; because of this, people you'd probably never speak to at home feel that they now have the right to make unpleasant comments about strangers who have breached the P&O rules. Let's face it- there's not much designer label wear, mainly man-made bling which we'd never wear at home! I received a favourable comment on my evening top....which cost e10 in Livorno market, but fitted in well with the dress-up parade. Would I wear it other than that?- no, because I don't wear man- made fibres.

The restrictions, therefore were not so much the jacket/tie, as the general feeling of being a spoilsport if you didn't play the game.

We have the full dress outfits, partly because we have to attend a few banquets with VIPs each year, and mainly because we've always been in choral groups, where they're the uniform. To wear such items on holiday becomes a chore, not fun.

People are sometimes told- rudely, occasionally- that they should choose a different cruise. It's not as simple as that, esp. now that OV is moving on, and some people don't want the added costs and rules of an American ship. I think P&O will be aware of this when they produce Ventura as OV3- jocap.

I tend to go along with the ''if you don't like it don't join'' gang, why book something you don't want. I can see why people don't want to dress up & therefore don't book it in the first place & I can also see there is a market for more casual cruising, if I can then so must P&O, so there must be a casual ship on the way surely. I don't understand the strength of feeling on the subject as personally it doesn't matter to me if I dress up or not... just go with the flow.

Sorry to seem thick but can someone explain what the big problem is?? It's just putting a jacket & tie on twice a week IF you want to eat in the main restaurant, otherwise it's just like OV.

John,

I respect your views more than most on this forum and as you have stated "the man does not want to". I will never take a tie on holiday but we are tempted by Ventura as we love the Caribbean.

If what you say about eating elewhere other than the main restaurant that will be fine by us.

Matty Barlow seems to echo your views and as both of you have been on OV, your comments are valid, unlike some on this forum who seem to think that we are the Devil incarnate.

Respect your opinions but I don't see what is SO bad about putting a jacket & tie on twice a week for dinner. I presume all the contributors are men (sorry if I missed some), what do the ladies think about dressing up? I can take it or leave it, but my wife, who seldom is out of wellies, loves the chance to dress up.....comments please.

woman speaking!

I have dresses which I hate wearing because I am a trouser girl. I am smart - lots of trouser suits,blouses, smart jumpers but going to dinner with my DH in a bow tie (not that he owns one) would make me laugh into my soup. He does have suits but I prefer to be with my DH as he is not as if he is dressed for a business meeting. Thanks but dragging him away from work is the whole idea about going on holiday. He would not relax wearing a suit - ever!!!:eek:

Nobody said you had to wear a dress, if your husband looks like he is going to a business meeting perhaps he is wearing the wrong suits! Personally I can relax & enjoy myself whatever I am wearing, if it fits right it's comfortable. Dressing up a couple of nights a week is fun I think, but as stated, if you are not comfortable with it fair enough, it's your choice after all.

Archived