Bring back booze from St. Thomas

COREYATMN

Just a word to warn the wise. We were on the Dawn repo Nov 1 - 15. The "shopping consultant" Jason told everyone in the showroom (and this was later rebroadcast to the cabins) that if you purchased liquor at the NCL approved stores, it would be boxed up for checking at the airport.

Much to my surprise, when we got to the airport, Southwest refused to check the box with the bottles in it. They said they have notified NCL many times to quit giving out this incorrect information, but Jason continues to do so. They said the bottles were not packed well enough to prevent breakage. Of course, you can't carry them on anymore, either.

Because of this, I was forced to put the bottles into my suitcase, where they survived, but was hit with a $50 overweight charge. It was nearly a toss up to take the $78 worth of liquor back with me, or just give it to the Southwest people. Obviously, the money I saved on the duty free was lost several times over.

But, I'm sure Jason still got his comission on the sale. I feel he owes me $50 for his inaccurate advice, and am in contact with NCL. Don't believe his sales talk, at least if you are flying Southwest! Otherwise, the cruise was great!

Its not just Southwest. We were on a Mexican Riviera cruise, flying back from LA. I had thought ahead and brought my own box and styrofoam bubble wrap sheets. I packed my tequila in the box with the bubble wrap and filled the empty spaces with dirty clothes. At the airport check in (USAir), they rejected my packaging for being "non-conforming", and gave me pre-printed directions to the UPS store. At UPS (after waiting an hour for them to open), they replaced my clothing with styrofoam peanuts, and said it was okay, and they do it this way "all the time". I ended up giving them money for shipping, and let them deal with it.

On another Mexico trip, I could fly with the bottles with me from the duty free shop to point of entry, but had to use my suitcase after that.

This used to be one of the highlights of a trip to Mexico, and its just not worth it anymore. You would think that TSA would figure out a way to work with this.

Its not just Southwest. We were on a Mexican Riviera cruise, flying back from LA. I had thought ahead and brought my own box and styrofoam bubble wrap sheets. I packed my tequila in the box with the bubble wrap and filled the empty spaces with dirty clothes. At the airport check in (USAir), they rejected my packaging for being "non-conforming", and gave me pre-printed directions to the UPS store. At UPS (after waiting an hour for them to open), they replaced my clothing with styrofoam peanuts, and said it was okay, and they do it this way "all the time". I ended up giving them money for shipping, and let them deal with it.

On another Mexico trip, I could fly with the bottles with me from the duty free shop to point of entry, but had to use my suitcase after that.

This used to be one of the highlights of a trip to Mexico, and its just not worth it anymore. You would think that TSA would figure out a way to work with this.

It was rumored (actually on the TSA website) last year they would start allowing up to bring our glass bottles on board starting in June of 2009. As we all know this never came about, maybe there is still hope, let's keep our fingers crossed.

Nita

My main gripe is that NCL continues to give out bad information, while pretending to be an "expert". I guess it's only about the $$ they can take in. Unfortunately, if they don't want to resolve this, I'll definately look at another cruise line next time. Again, it put a sour taste in my mouth after a nearly perfect 2 weeks.

My main gripe is that NCL continues to give out bad information, while pretending to be an "expert". I guess it's only about the $$ they can take in. Unfortunately, if they don't want to resolve this, I'll definately look at another cruise line next time. Again, it put a sour taste in my mouth after a nearly perfect 2 weeks.

I can understand your frustration, but I don't think I would let something like this influence my choise of cruise lines. We had an experience with the shore excursion gal on HAL a few years ago; if we let what happened to us (somewhat similar) bother us, we would never sail them again. At least you got your booze home, but yes, paying the overweight was a bummer...

Nita

I am sorry that you were misled.

But, sometimes common sense should take center stage.

A simple box with bottles of booze in it are not going to survive baggage handling.

Since all booze has to go into checked luggage, but better be really, really be a good deal to mess with it. Breakage, ruined clothing, weight are all reasons to just not bother.

And by the way, think twice about buying it in the airport in those duty free stores. If, and ONLY if the airport you land at is your final destination, AND you do not have to go back through the airport to get your bags, will that work.

Many airports require you to exit customs, then check your bags to the baggage handling area, then go through security before getting out of the airport. If you have liquids, good bye!

This happened to us also. On arrival at Miami airport after our cruise on the Jewel they would not accept the box from the ship with two bottles of whisky in it. However the person at the check in desk took pity on us and rumaged around for a box, packed the two bottles of whisky as securely as she could, taped it up and slapped a sticker on it. We were not charged any extra and the bottles made it all the way back to the UK in one piece:D Well done to that check in assistant at Miami airport she went over and above the call of duty;)

Aaahh, Jason

A completely forgetable person. One of the things I enjoy about St Thomas is the number of bottles you may bring home. Five years ago, I arrive at Miami airport with 2 boxes containing a total of 12 bottles. American says sorry you must repack it into your luggage. My darling wife took this as a challenge. She dropped to her knees, opened the bags in front of a packed airport and proceeded to put 6 bottles in each bag. American waived the fees for being overweight. During the flight to JFK, I thought about nothing but broken bottles. In JFK, the bags arrived without so much as a scratch. Rare. My wife rules.

I was on the same Dawn repositioning cruise. I heard Jason's speech. This time I bought 8 bottles. The liquor store packed the bags to "meet" TSA requirements. I repacked them in my luggage and carried some additional items in my carry on. All came home unbroken. My wife still rules!

Archived