Vancouver Hotel - closer to port or AIRport?

Without Tessa

Hi there - well, we are booked on the May 14th sailing out of Vancouver aboard the Zaandam! Wahoooooo!!!! we are so excited!

I have a question about the advantages of booking a hotel closer to the port vs. closer to the airport. I have been told that the distance is about 25-30 minutes by car. My TA currently has a hotel booked for us very close to the ship but I am wondering if getting a hotel close to the airport would be better?

My thinking is that we will be tired when we arrive and not wanting to worry about trying to get a taxi, driving farther, etc. We could take a shuttle (do hotels there have direct shuttles??) and then have the hotel arrange a taxi in the morning to the ship.

Advice either way??

Thanks!

Tessa: we have sailed out of Vancouver three times and I think you will miss a lot by not staying downtown. There is not much to see or do by the airport. Vancouver is simply a great city-it reminds me of San Francisco in a lot of ways-something for just about everyone. If you stay at a hotel near Canada Place (the cruise ship pier), in the morning you will have a treat seeing your ship docked. Canada Place has an IMAX theatre in it and it is easy to get around to see the touristy things from downtown as well as having easy access to superb restaurants.

Hope this helps you!

The airport is in Richmond, so airport-close hotels would likely be in Richmond - I would say it isn't a bad place to stay at all, but if you are arriving early and want to play, I'd probably choose a downtown hotel. A taxi will probably cost about $30 Canadian to downtown.

Many hotels here in Vancouver/Richmond have airport shuttles.

Archived