Should we do an excursion on this island?

JackieD223

St Martin is the last stop on our 7 day, 6 island cruise on Carnival Victory. DH and I were thinking of not booking anything on this island and having it be our relaxing day to shop and hit the beach. Is this island easy to get around on our own, or are things pretty far away? Or is there an excursion/attraction that we just shouldn't miss here?

We have been to St. Martin/Marteen quite a few times. We were just there in November. In my opinion, this is one of the best islands to do your own thing. It's safe and taxi's are plentyful. I would go to Orient Beach via taxi, (about 20 min from the port) depending on how many people it can be a few dollars to get in a van with others or $15-$20 for 2 in a car (eachway). There are plenty of places on the beach to rent Chairs/umbrella, it would be around $20 for 2 for the day. There is shopping right at the cruise port. For me it's adequate, but if your into big time shopping you can take the water taxi right from the port over to town. It's around $6 for unlimited rides for the day. I like going to the beach on our own because you can stay all day for alot less then the excursion cost for only a few hours. Just be aware that Orient Beach is clothing optional, you see more local's without their clothese early in the morning and then as the morning/day goes by as the beach fills up with tourists and you hardly see anyone without there clothes. If anything it's few women without there tops.

<snip>

I would go to Orient Beach via taxi' date=' (about 20 min from the port) depending on how many people it can be a few dollars to get in a van with others or $15-$20 for 2 in a car (eachway).

<snip>

Just be aware that Orient Beach is clothing optional, you see more local's without their clothese early in the morning and then as the morning/day goes by as the beach fills up with tourists and you hardly see anyone without there clothes. If anything it's few women without there tops.[/quote']

The last time I checked, taxi rate for two, alone, was $18 total each way. Six or more in a shared taxi was $6 per person.

th_DSCN3859.jpg

(click)

I would note that you will RARELY see a 'local' naked on the beach outside of Club Orient. You may be more likely to see nude vacationers walking Orient early in the day, trying to get their walk done before the cruisers arrive, or at any time of the day on the Club Orient property, but rarely will you see a 'local', and thanks for not calling them 'natives'.

gary

Archived