Does Celebrity have infant playgroups?

mrs.mobster

I could have sworn I read a review from someone a while back about their Celebrity cruise with an infant, and there was mention of a parent accompanied playgroup on board. Yet I cant seem to find anything about it now after searching on here and google. Does anyone know?

It was a few years ago but yes, Celebrity arranged playgroups. They called them "toddler" playgroups but my dd, who turned 1 on the cruise, was not the youngest included. I think they invited everyone with kids too young for their kids club. They had pop-up tunnels, balls etc for the kids to play with. The parents were there along with a rep from the kids club.

They also had boxes of age appropriate toys to keep in your cabin for the length of the cruise. (Everything was sterilized and the box was shrink wrapped before checking it out.) Also pack n play was provided for the cabin.

I've heard wonderful things about those playgroups that usually take place around noon in the younger kids club. My experience was that we were put in this "storage room" yes with toddler toys but those that required batteries had no working batteries. Not one item had batteries and some were broken. Also this room was full of video equipment (like I said storage room) and as the cruise progressed more and more equipment was stored there. My son actually got heard falling in the room because well there was no room to toddle.

Hopefully on your cruise the situation will be more like the good things I heard but it's really meant for toddlers more then infants but as a parent you may not mind just being around other parents for a while and chatting and having your child on a blanket watching.

This is from Celebrity's website:

Toddler Time

Children participating in organized Fun Factory events must be age 3 and fully potty trained. However you can accompany your child to the Fun Factory or any organized activity. Toddler Time is also offered to allow the parents of toddlers and their children to interact with other children their age. The Youth Staff (X-Club) team will provide suitable toys and products for your toddlers. Please check the Fun Factory (X-Club) daily program for times and locations. In accordance with USPH policies and standards, Celebrity has provided each vessel with lavatory based changing tables and baby wipes.

As you can see, it does not mention infants, just toddlers.

I was just on celebrity and there was no toddler playgroup on our ship. However since there were literally only a handful of toddlers, I guess it didn't make sense to organize one.

I agree with the PP about the "storage" room that they (tried to) stick us in. They called it the "toddler room". Quite frankly it was depressing in there. It was a studio they used to record their kids television show -- at least, it had all the equipment, lights etc. The lights were harsh and had an annoying buzz. The room is windowless whereas every other area of the "Fun Factory" had natural light and some even had sea views. Our toys did have batteries and the room was not being used as a storage area, but it was still depressing. Personally I would have hated being confined to that room and am glad that we were not stuck there. If there had been more big kids on board though, my understanding is that we would have been stuck there so our little kids wouldn't get run over by the big kids in the play structure, ball pit, etc.

As a PP mentioned there were "treasure chests" that we could check out. Ours, however, were not sanitized and sealed. My kids liked having the extra toys in our room even though they were mostly too old for them (the toys are probably best for 6 - 18 months, IMHO).

I've heard about some cruiselines allowing parent and child to use the "toy room"...but it really wouldn't be "infants interacting with each other"...they just don't do that!

Sorry CB, you are wrong on this. RCCL sets up a space for 1 hour each morning for infants. On one of my recent cruises it was Boleros lounge, they had music, toys and a counsler to interact and guide the kids through various activities.

Archived