Were we singled out? Should I complain? (babysitting)

poppan

On Celebrity's website it says babysitting is $8/hour, for up to 2 children from the same family. Kids have to be at least 12 months old.

When we got onboard and requested babysitting, I filled out the form they gave me (which incidentally gave the same policy I described above). We have 2.5 y.o. twins. The day after I submitted the request, someone from guest services called me and said the policy had just changed, and the new policy was 1 babysitter per child and I would have to hire two babysitters, each at $8/hour.

I didn't think anything of it at the time, but since returning from our trip I have wondered if they created the "new policy" just for us and rescinded it immediately after we disembarked. I checked their website again and it still has the same "old" policy of 2 children per babysitter.

What do you think... should I complain to corporate headquarters? I'm not expecting money back or anything, but $16/hour was kind of steep and we didn't use the service nearly as much as we had planned to... and affordable in-cabin babysitting was a big part of why we chose to sail with Celebrity this time. I'm really wondering if we were singled out for some reason and if so, I really don't appreciate it!

On Celebrity's website it says babysitting is $8/hour, for up to 2 children from the same family. Kids have to be at least 12 months old.

When we got onboard and requested babysitting, I filled out the form they gave me (which incidentally gave the same policy I described above). We have 2.5 y.o. twins. The day after I submitted the request, someone from guest services called me and said the policy had just changed, and the new policy was 1 babysitter per child and I would have to hire two babysitters, each at $8/hour.

I didn't think anything of it at the time, but since returning from our trip I have wondered if they created the "new policy" just for us and rescinded it immediately after we disembarked. I checked their website again and it still has the same "old" policy of 2 children per babysitter.

What do you think... should I complain to corporate headquarters? I'm not expecting money back or anything, but $16/hour was kind of steep and we didn't use the service nearly as much as we had planned to... and affordable in-cabin babysitting was a big part of why we chose to sail with Celebrity this time. I'm really wondering if we were singled out for some reason and if so, I really don't appreciate it!

You know, I just don't have an answer for you! I've only been on two Celebrity cruises - no kids, and they were many years ago. I think you might have a legitimate complaint. You might want to post this on the Celebrity Board - I'm sure you'll get the right answer somewhere! Good luck to you! (I still think you have a legitimate gripe)

Sorry, I couldn't find it, but someone posted the same within the past 2 weeks. So, no, you weren't singled out.

It might have been me... I wrote about it somewhere else, but it was in reply to someone else's post, and may not even have been that on topic...

poppan, I think you definitely deserve an official answer to your question. So I think you should write to them and see what they say. I am always annoyed with how slow that entire company is to update their site (Royal is the same way).

So yes, please write them. And then let us know what they say.

Welcome back.:)

Another poster returned from a Celebrity/RCCL cruise a couple of weeks ago and reported the same 2 babysitter policy. I'll try to find the link.

It's probably not RCCL, we just got off a cruise in November and we had 1 babysitter for 3 kids, although they charged $15/hour to watch all 3.

16.00 for two does sound kind of steep for one babysitter, but am I understanding 2 babysitters showed up each night, one per child? I guess if you have 3 kids then 3 people have to show up!!?!!! I do not think they have the kids program staffed with that many at one time lol. I can tell you the only time I used the in cabin babysitting it was not smooth or a good experience. I think one thing long time cruisers can agree upon is that each ship seems to have their own variation of corporate rules.

Another poster returned from a Celebrity/RCCL cruise a couple of weeks ago and reported the same 2 babysitter policy. I'll try to find the link.

That might have been me. We were on the 12/5 inaugural and when we boarded we were told there was no longer in-room sitting as there had been "problems" and now they needed 2 sitters per child and were still trying to work out the details on how to make that happen. No one could elaborate on the "problems" and I couldn't get a straight answer as to whether or not this was an Oasis-only thing or fleet-wide.

I spent major $$$ on that trip and would have been furious if it had not been for the nursery which was great. To be honest, I would not use the in-room sitting again after having utilized the nursery.

I'm willing to bet that, if you look hard enough, you will find some sort of generic mention that

"XX has the right to change YY policy at any time and without any notice"

And that is what you will be reading in your reply from the cruise line. All cruise line 'facts' seem to have that statement buried somewhere in their policies. It basically means that, when they see you coming, they can change a policy to suit their desires :)

But do write/call and complain, why not! And remember to throw in some good things so you don't sound like a total whiner. A little honey goes a long way when you are complaining.

Here's the response I received from Celebrity -- they are refunding me!

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding your sailing onboard the Celebrity Constellation. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to you concerns and apologize for the delay in responding.

We have tried to obtain additional information from the ship regarding the babysitting charges. We have not yet received a response from them. However, we will be refunding the charge of $24.00 for one of the babysitting charges, since per on line it should not have been charged. Once we receive information on if the policy and charges has changed, we will be sure to update our website. We will process the refund to your American Express card. Please allow 5-7 business days to receive refund.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back onboard one of our ships in the future."

Here's the response I received from Celebrity -- they are refunding me!

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding your sailing onboard the Celebrity Constellation. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to you concerns and apologize for the delay in responding.

We have tried to obtain additional information from the ship regarding the babysitting charges. We have not yet received a response from them. However, we will be refunding the charge of $24.00 for one of the babysitting charges, since per on line it should not have been charged. Once we receive information on if the policy and charges has changed, we will be sure to update our website. We will process the refund to your American Express card. Please allow 5-7 business days to receive refund.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back onboard one of our ships in the future."

Good for you for following up, and it's good to see that Celebrity not only responded, but gave you a refund! (It sounds like you may get even more.) Hope you continue to receive further communications from Celebrity. Happy Holidays!

Archived