Comfort of sofa bed in PS

Mpowered

We are taking my parents to Alaska for their 60th anniversary, and we are considering the Penthouse Suite (on a Vista class). My brother and his wife are going. While they will have their own cabin, it would be nice to have the PS for our gatherings, and the per-person price looks pretty good.

My concern is the sofa bed. I've read that the steward prepares the bed each evening, they will put an egg-crate topper on, there's a curtain for privacy, and there's a half-bath. But what about the comfort of the sofa bed? Do you feel as though you're sleeping on a sofa bed? ;)

Thanks!

Joan

We are taking my parents to Alaska for their 60th anniversary, and we are considering the Penthouse Suite (on a Vista class). My brother and his wife are going. While they will have their own cabin, it would be nice to have the PS for our gatherings, and the per-person price looks pretty good.

My concern is the sofa bed. I've read that the steward prepares the bed each evening, they will put an egg-crate topper on, there's a curtain for privacy, and there's a half-bath. But what about the comfort of the sofa bed? Do you feel as though you're sleeping on a sofa bed? ;)

Thanks!

Joan

I've never heard any issues about the sofa beds in the deluxe and penthouse suites (the ones that would be the sofa beds for 2, I figure this is the closest comparison).

Also, in the Vista Class, there won't be a curtain that I'm aware of to separate, but the living room (where the sofa bed is) and bedroom are at completely opposite ends of the suite (1300 sqft)... Not to mention the bedroom has doors. And yes, there is a half bath for your use even if the bedroom is shut.

The photo is basically taken from the entrance into the bedroom more or less.

520XPenthouse.jpg

In this image, see where it indicates the TV in the living room? That is what the double sofa bed will fold out from. You'll have a lot of space between you, and again, on Vista/Sig Class, there are doors.

3D_Penthouse.jpg

Dutch, thank you so much! Your information is very helpful. I've looked at photos, both on the HAL site and on Joanie's site, but I don't always know what I'm seeing. :-) The PS seems perfect for us, so I hope this works out.

Joan

On the Vista class ships the extra bed does not come from the sofa.

It is in a panel -- if you look at the picture you will see a green plant on top of a "unit". In this unit is the bed which opens towards the sofa.

There are doors that can be closed at the bedroom end.

Keep in mind that everyone will be using the same closets.

That's right, kk, and that fold-down bed is a real bed with mattress and all. Our au pairs typically use the second bed in our PS cabins, (we've now taken 4 on HAL cruises), and every single one has raved about the comfort of the bed!

Thanks!

Joan

Hi Joan, After reading your question and then reading the other posters responses, I went and looked at the photos and videos of the Penthouse suites on the Westerdam.

I have to tell you that while I cannot see the hidden bed (I really tried to find it) if you look at the videos of the Penthouse Suite, I think you will be happy with the roominess and will not have a problem with anyone else sleeping either in the hidden bed or on the sofa.

http://abqreunion2008.com/Westerdam/videos/

IF you do take this stateroom, can you take photos and/or videos of it for me to add to the pages so that others will have an answer to this question also??

Joanie

My adult DD has slept on the pull down bed in the PS, and she has been very comfortable. As Dutch by Association has said, there are doors to close off the PS bedroom, and the angle of the pull down bed offers a sense of privacy as well. You can also close the double doors to the entry area which gives even more privacy for everyone in the suite. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for all of the information! Unfortunately, I goofed in a very big way. I had a chemo treatment yesterday and couldn't sleep, so I was up way too late, and that is not a good time to read important stuff. :-) I interpreted the PS rate as a flat rate, not as a per-person rate. What I divided that rate by 4 people, it looked really good! This morning, my husband pointed out the error of my ways. We'll still consider this when we talk to my brother, but the PS is probably not going to be doable, after all. :-(

Joan

Joan,

Don't know how soon you are willing to book, but I believe today is the last day of HAL's 3-day sale, and they are doing 3rd and 4th passenger free(you pay taxes). So that PS might still be doable at that price ;)

Hope you get some rest today!

Sage, another CC member, saw the questions and my confusion yesterday regarding the sofa/hidden beds and sent me a couple photos with description for the Noordam PS 7046. I have them up and running on both the Main and Back Up HAL Stateroom/Cabin pages if ya'll want to take a look. Just click on the links below in my signature.

Many Many thanks to all the CC members who help us all out with this Stateroom Project!!

Joanie

Sage, another CC member, saw the questions and my confusion yesterday regarding the sofa/hidden beds and sent me a couple photos with description for the Noordam PS 7046. I have them up and running on both the Main and Back Up HAL Stateroom/Cabin pages if ya'll want to take a look. Just click on the links below in my signature.

Many Many thanks to all the CC members who help us all out with this Stateroom Project!!

Joanie

Joanie,

Just so you know how much I use and appreciate your cabin photos, I had already looked at your photos for each ship before I started this thread. :) I've referenced your photos many times, for many reasons. I really appreciate your service! And I like your name. :D (I am "Joanie" to a few special people in my life.)

Joan

Joanie,

Just so you know how much I use and appreciate your cabin photos, I had already looked at your photos for each ship before I started this thread. :) I've referenced your photos many times, for many reasons. I really appreciate your service! And I like your name. :D (I am "Joanie" to a few special people in my life.)

Joan

Joanie, I thank you so very much!! It is for you and others just like you that made me start this continuing work in progress!!

Questions arise about what is where, what looks like what etc.; on HAL ships and there were very few pictures.

What really got it going was a misunderstanding/my confusion, over a comment about a stateroom from a long time and very experienced Cruise Critic member (I HIGHLY respect her!!) and I. She tried to tell me about a stateroom and I just could not picture it..... So Voila, here is our new resource:)

I cannot do it without all of here at CC!!! It is for us and by us and if you can think of anything that can make it better for us all, lemme know!!

BTW, I've only been Joanie since May 1989. I fought the nick for 3 months... My last name is Jett and a fellow Vol F/D member nicknamed me (Grrrr), but here I am Joanie for 20 years now:D

Joanie

Thanks for all of the information! Unfortunately, I goofed in a very big way. I had a chemo treatment yesterday and couldn't sleep, so I was up way too late, and that is not a good time to read important stuff. :-) I interpreted the PS rate as a flat rate, not as a per-person rate. What I divided that rate by 4 people, it looked really good! This morning, my husband pointed out the error of my ways. We'll still consider this when we talk to my brother, but the PS is probably not going to be doable, after all. :-(

Joan

Dreams do come true -- maybe something will work out.

hey there, we have been Blessed to have the PS in both Zuiderdam and Westerdam (westerdam since 2004 and 11 times)

7046...my favorite room and would highly recommend it to anyone. We just got off her Dec 6th....

It was a WONDERFUL cruise and had my first CC meet and greet there...scheduled for around 4 , brought 10 bottles of champage, had a wide assortment of appetizers, cheeses, and fruit skewers...LOVELY..absolutly lovely...the invitation was for about an hour and evryone (i hope) had grata time and the last to leave was around 6pm.....

We have entertained many times in that room or her sister (7045) but there is a litlle different decor in 7045 and depending on the itenary port side seems to have the best views.

Any questions that you may have...the second bed we have never needed it has either has been myself and hubby and one time I took the room for just myself. I love the BOSE home theather and the speakers on the veranda and all through out the rooms are nice. the second bath is nice to have, the master bath has double vanity and an incredable shower not to mention the enormus bath and walkin closets are great.

But I did check the bed out and it looks quite durable. Not like a pullout....I imagine they would put a top of the line in the PS rooms.

Like I said, if you can...........book it.....amazing....most of the time we take a sa cabin, but once a year i get the penthouse for my birthday....and never ever regret it.....happy sails.....michelle

Archived