FLL Airport & Rental Car? URGENT

newlife_2010

I am a little worried now. I am arriving at FLL airport at midnight on January 1st, 2010. However, I can not check into my hotel until early afternoon on January 1st (I am staying at the LaQuinta Inn Airport, Hollywood).

I did not want to pay for a full night hotel stay arriving in the middle of the night. As a result, I am going to be staying in the airport between midnight and about 6am? My question is - Can I do this? Does FLL Airport close in the middle of the night? I just want to sit in the main terminal and watch DVDs all night.

My 2nd question is in relation to Rental Cars and I need honest advice. I am thinking about renting a car for the day on January 1st. I would get it at 6am and return it at 6am on January 2nd the day of my cruise. The car rental total is about $40. I figure with a car I would be able to drive around for the day and have a nice lunch and dinner somewhere without having to rely on taxis.

I would return the car at 6am the day of my cruise then take the shuttle back to the LaQuinta Inn, check out and take their free shuttle to Port Everglades.

Is Sunshine Rent A Car a good company? Would you recommend it? Am I getting myself too deep renting a car for the day. Or should I just stay in my hotel room, rest and order a pizza?

I would just stay at the hotel. Aren't you going to be exhausted from the night before and what would you do after you return the car at 6:00 AM. You want to be rested so you can enjoy the cruise.

Keith

Yea that is what I am thinking I will do. I paid for the room, I might as well enjoy as much of it as I can.

But what about the airport? Will I be able to sit in the main terminal overnight?

Why would you return a rental car at 6 am if you don't have to? A much better idea (IMO) and one that will leave you more refreshed would be to return the car to the airport and take a cab to the pier. It's very close, and will be about 11 bucks plus tip. Then you don't have to worry about shuttles at all. They are so much hassle, really. Yes they are, come on. :p I'd guess that most everyone at your hotel will be needing to take that shuttle; it could be quite a wait.

You might be able to check in as early as noon or 1 pm or so; just call them. Another option is to rent a car, return it later and pay for two days (or one day and a few hours). Fort Lauderdale is absolutely beautiful; I can't imagine staying in a hotel room when the city and beach are at your beck and call.

Perhaps you might toss this around and come up with Plan B? :D

I have a cousin that wants to fly into FLL airport arriving about 11:00PM, and they want to just stay at the airport overnight, then go to the port in the morning to avoid paying for a hotel room. It is only 1 person. Is FLL airport open all night to the public?

As I mentioned in an earlier post I would call the airport to verify this.

I did a google search and believe that the telephone number for the airport is (954) 359-1200

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

If you decide to rent a car, you can return it to the airport and take the free shuttle to the cruiseport. When we cruise with 4 people we drop of our luggage at the cruise terminal then return the car to the airport and shuttle to the cruiseport with carryons only. Very easy. Good restuarant in Fll is Blue Moon Fish Co. Sometimes they have a buy one get one free lunch and the Sunday Brunch is fabulous. Hope this helps have fun.

PS: Also you could try to get early check in at the hotel, at least by midday.

Archived