Room Service Tips - Aussie dollars?

SunnyinDubai

Does anyone know if the tips that we give to the room service staff should be in US dollars? We are doing a South Pacific cruise on the Volendam starting in Oz and were wondering if we could pay in Aus dollars as I am not sure we could get US dollar notes (in smaller denominations) here in Oz.

Please I am not starting a tipping debate - I just want to know if it is acceptable to tip the room service staff in Aussie dollars. :o

Thanks. :)

I would suggest that you give paper currency, rather than coins. Most of us realize that coins are generally not convertible to other currencies outside of the issuing country.

Other than that, I agree that the receiver of the gratuity will be delighted with it.

I was told once by a cruise director that it was not a good idea to give the staff anything else than US $. Also we were told many times that it was not good for the staff to receive our Euros, Pounds, rands, ruppies, etc. The reason being that they send 'most' of the money they receive to their family. Their pay cheque is in US $ and their bank account is in US $. Do not interpret my message wrongly. I am not American and I am proud of my own currency, but by giving any other currency than the one on the ship, the hard woking staff is shortchanged. They rarely have time to go and line up at the bank to change the tips they received in another currency and they very likely do not want to 'spend' it in the various ports. Their family back home is waiting for it. Do not make their life harder than it is. They will accept tips in any currency but would be much happier to receive it in US $. :):):)

Archived