Saving, paying and other ?'s

Spara

First off, this will be our first cruise. I am an avid infomation collector in all I do so I expect to know quite a bit before we ever step foot on a ship! I am learning a ton here and have a couple questions.

We dont do credit cards, if you are the same how long did it take for you to save up?

How does this work where people are talking about making payments, is this if you go with a travel agent?

Are there advantages to this over just saving up and paying all at once?

I am looking into getting the RC credit card and if you do make payments with that the same as the cash? As I would not be carrying a balance on it.

:D

First off, this will be our first cruise. I am an avid infomation collector in all I do so I expect to know quite a bit before we ever step foot on a ship! I am learning a ton here and have a couple questions.

We dont do credit cards, if you are the same how long did it take for you to save up?

How does this work where people are talking about making payments, is this if you go with a travel agent? Once you have made your down payment, you can pay any amount you want any time you up until the final payment date which is normally 70 days out for a 7 day cruise. This can be done directly with RCI or a TA.

Are there advantages to this over just saving up and paying all at once? You will earn a very small amount of interest if you save and pay all at once.

I am looking into getting the RC credit card and if you do make payments with that the same as the cash? The RCI credit card earns one point for every dollar you spend. You earn two points for every dollar you spend with RCI. The points can used for a free cruise, discounts on a cruise, for OBC or several other things. As I would not be carrying a balance on it. I don't carry a balance on mine. I use it for as many purchases as I can and then use the points for my cruises.

Good luck with your decision.

There are no advantages to paying early, or making payments...it's entirely up to your comfort level and budget...the cruiseline gives you NOTHING for paying early!

As far as the CC goes... if you need a card, and want to use theirs, go for it! If getting another card will simply put you into more debt...don't do it!

The reason to use a credit card is to get the benefits. Make sure your credit card does not have a fee and you get at least 1% back. A cash back card would probably be better.

You will pay a very high interest rate if you do not pay the credit card in full each month. Don't get one if you can not pay it off.

You pay for the cruise in two steps. A deposit, sometimes 50% of the cruise and some time a small deposit, Then about 2 months before the cruise the balance is due.

If you are going to save up for the cruise (that's the way to do it) then put the money in a savings account until it is time to pay the TA or cruise line. Be sure to add in tips, excursions, transportation etc to your budget.

There are no advantages to paying early, or making payments...it's entirely up to your comfort level and budget...the cruiseline gives you NOTHING for paying early!

As far as the CC goes... if you need a card, and want to use theirs, go for it! If getting another card will simply put you into more debt...don't do it!

Nope, there are no advantages...BUT!

If you are like me and tempted by that cash sitting innocently in your savings account earning a small amount of interest, then the advantage to making payments is "out of sight out of mind" and I would rather pay $50-$100 every couple weeks myself.

I would rather do the payments too, can you make the payments using the card? Then I would of course pay it off right away. Im just trying to think of the most ways to use it to get max points out of it.

I would rather do the payments too, can you make the payments using the card? Then I would of course pay it off right away. Im just trying to think of the most ways to use it to get max points out of it.

You can use the card to make payments. It doesn't matter when you make the payments, as long as you use the RCI card, you will get double points.

How does this work where people are talking about making payments, is this if you go with a travel agent?

I am looking into getting the RC credit card and if you do make payments with that the same as the cash? As I would not be carrying a balance on it.

I have the RCCL Visa and never carry a balance. Part of planning our cruise is looking at what we want, and then looking at how much we can save. We only book once we know we will have enough saved to enjoy our cruise.

We book and pay the deposit, which is usually $250 per person (for a 7 day). After that, we start stuffing money away into the savings account. We don't usually pay as we go along, but pay it all up front when final payment is due. We also watch for price drops, and have been able to get balcony cabins for very little more than an inside room.

Once we have our cruise paid for, including flight, taxes, port fees, luggage fees, tips, and fuel charges, we start looking at excursions. Those can be expensive. We look at what we would like to do, and then we look at how much we can spend, and prioritize.

The last thing we budge for is alcohol and shopping. We usually have OBC from our TA and our RCCL Visa which covers those costs.

I love the RCCL Card because we get DOUBLE points on everything RCCL. We also use the card for EVERYTHING and we get enough points to take a significant amount off of our room through shipboard credits, and we enjoy the OBC.

Looks like you have already gotten some great info here. You may already know what I am about to tell you:

A deposit is required when you book so in that sense unless you have the cash for the entire amount (and even if you do why put it in thier acount when it could continue to accrue interest in yours) there are normally at least 2 payments involved.

Book as soon as you can. Then watch the prices like a hawk for the category you have booked. I look daily. I know that may seem like a bit much but the prices can change from day to day. If it goes lower, just call RCCL or your TA if you used one and they will adjust the price. If you have already made your final payement, they will give you on board credit. You will have no trouble spending whatever amount they give you. Trust me on this one... I was on the Oasis Inaugural and a few days prior to the cruise a larger suite became available (I went from an A2 to an A1) for less $$ so I was able to get the larger suite and $1400 credit. I'm not a super-religious person but I can tell you it felt like a gift from God.

As far as the RCCL card goes, I have had one since they came out. I have enough points for a free cruise right now because I use it for everything but I am able to pay it off every month. If you can do this and you are disciplined enough then I would encourage it but I agree with another comment that you shouldn't do it if it means you will run a balance.

We all work hard for our money and it's important that we get the most for it. It's not a fun vacation if you are stressing about the money you have spent to be there.

Congratulations on planning your first cruise.

To follow up on some of the great info provided here, and a couple of points not yet asked.

1. Using a credit card is a great way to go. You can use it like you suggested - pay the deposit and then make regular payments until your cruise is paid for.

2. If you decide to use a travel agent make sure in advance they will make the payments to Royal Caribbean using your credit card.

3. Also make sure the Travel Agent does not charge change fees. Some will charge you if you request they process a price reduction.

4. Because of the amount the cruise line will hold out pending for your on board account, it is often better to use a credit card for your onboard account rather than a debit card.

However you decide to pay - enjoy your cruise. :D

Great info, another question, where is it that you are checking the room rates everyday?

Go to RCI's web site and do a "pretend" booking for your cruise. Go through the whole process as if you were booking the cruise on line. Enter the ship and date. Then make sure you enter your state and other discounts (senior, military, etc.) that you qualify for. When you get to the cabin selection page, check your room category to see what the price is. If the price is lower than what you paid, call RCI or your TA and asked to be given the new price.

Archived