Upgraded to Platinum?

taffy12

The other day, we received notification in the mail that we'd been upgraded to Platinum status. Um, yay? But we're confused. We've only sailed twice on RCCL, both times in a junior suite. By my calculations, that's only four cruise credits, and our most recent cruise was way back in 2007. Now the letter also notes that we've been upgraded to Elite level in Celebrity's program... We sailed on Celebrity once, in 2004. Did RCI decide to combine cruise credits from these two lines? If so, that's new, isn't it? And the Platinum status, is it for real or is it a mistake?

While you can't cruise RCCL and earn the same number of credits on Celebrity, each line WILL match your status. So if you're platinum on RCCL, you're automatically elite on Celebrity and vice-versa.

Were any of your previous cruises 12 nights? That gives you an extra credit, and since you haven't cruised since 2007, it may have been 10 or 11 nights at the time.

While you can't cruise RCCL and earn the same number of credits on Celebrity, each line WILL match your status. So if you're platinum on RCCL, you're automatically elite on Celebrity and vice-versa.

Were any of your previous cruises 12 nights? That gives you an extra credit, and since you haven't cruised since 2007, it may have been 10 or 11 nights at the time.

Actually platinum on Royal is equivalent of select on Celebrity. Diamond is the equivalent to Elite.

Actually platinum on Royal is equivalent of select on Celebrity. Diamond is the equivalent to Elite.

Thanks for the correction. I could swear I've read other members say they're platinum and elite so I either took their word, or I remember incorrectly. Then I don't know ***** is going on with the OP's status!

The letter says, and I quote, "Congratulations on reaching Platinum level in the Crown & Anchor Society," AND, "As an added benefit, you've also been upgraded to the Elite level in Celebrity Cruises' Captain's Club loyalty program."

Both of our RCCL cruises were seven-night cruises. Our Celebrity cruise was a 14-night.

That's really weird because I KNOW I've read on Celebrity's site that you can use Celeb points to gain points on Azamara, and vice-versa, but NOT on RCCL. They'll just match your status.

Okay...maaaaaybe when you did the Celebrity cruise, RCCL and Celebrity WERE allowing you to get points interchangeably and it's a recent change, so that would explain where the other credit came from? Gonzo? :)

Other than that, my guess is they've just made a mistake. Whenever I go to the RCCL website it continues to remind me that I'm platinum, not diamond. :) And I also never received a letter congratulating me when I jumped up to platinum, nor did it mention my new Celebrity status. Hmmmm!!!

I wouldn't worry about it. We had a letter earlier in the year congratulating us on reaching Diamond status - when we thought we wouldn't actually get there until after our next cruise. The only thing we wondered was whether they've added up the fact that every time we cruise we always book 2 cabins for our family of 4 and would therefore have twice the number we calculated, but I somehow don't think that's how they work it out.

We've made sure to have the Diamond balcony discount applied to our next cruises and are looking forward to drinking in the Diamond lounge ;)

Frankly the system is a bit of a shambles. My friend's 14 year old son (who'd sailed exactly the same number of times as the rest of the family - and accrued 3 cruise credits) had a congratulations letter and was invited to all the Diamond events on their last cruise and we STILL can't look at our points online in the UK :rolleyes:

Have you checked your completed cruises on the RCI site? The system might have given you credit for an extra cruise. That sometimes happens.

Sounds like this is what happened. It may be more work getting it corrected than just enjoying the extra credit. ;)

WOW.. I logged in yesterday and I was platinum and they just added my Navigator cruise for my 9th. Today I logged in and it is at Diamond status. Woohoo I am paid in full for my January cruise on Independence. I'll take it and I hope it stays.

Do you achieve platinum after you complete 5 cruises or when you book your 5th cruise? With Carnival, I know its when you book and pay for the 10th cruise that you get the added benfits when you embark.

If the system is working properly, you must complete your fifth cruise credit before getting the benefits (you get an extra credit for cruising in a junior suite or higher, and an extra credit for a cruise or cruisetour lasting 12+ nights, for a maximum of 3).

Sounds like this is what happened. It may be more work getting it corrected than just enjoying the extra credit. ;)

Trust me it is. Took forever to straighten our mess out. While trying to get the numbers straight they actually went up! We now have 2 of the ship blocks that the LA's would not take back. Credits are now accurate and we get our first official block on our next cruise.

Things are messed up we have 23 credits and my parents have 5, Monday night they got a letter welcome to Plat. Tuesday, they get a call asking what amenity gift they wanted, I printed our SeaPass and it has Diamond Plus next to thier name and Diamond next to ours. Go figure. Called the Diamond Desk, she said it would take a while to straighten it out.

Archived