How we saved $1000

Well kind of.

All along we have been planning / researching / prepared to cruise with RC. We are about 2 weeks from booking and last night I get home and she says "You know, we could save a grand and float with Carnival" I had not put any thought into it but she pointed out that the rooms are bigger, the food reviews are better and again, it's a LOT cheaper.

We pulled up the website , they have a cruise departing same day as RC. 2 different stops though. Instead of Hati and Jamacia it's Honduras and Belize. I'm OK with that. Hati was not anywhere I cared to be and I've heard so many horror stories about Jamacia.

She also said that while the Valor is smaller than Liberty of the Seas it has more things that we would be intereted in. Water slide instead of surfing, more casual.. we are just not dressy people and again, it's a thousand dollars cheaper ;)

SO, now we are planning and prepared to book the 5/23/10 sailing of Valor... :eek:

So, now I get to go back and research all things Carnival!

Great deal! But, just so you know, you wouldn't have been in Haiti proper...Labadee is the "private beach" on the northern shore of Haiti....you have no contact with the public so there's no threat from anything "Haitian"! It's a lovely place! If you ever do get a chance to go to Labadee, don't worry about it--it's a wonderful beach!

But, you got a great deal (and yes, the cabins ARE bigger on Carnival!!!) Have a great trip!

Great deal! But, just so you know, you wouldn't have been in Haiti proper...Labadee is the "private beach" on the northern shore of Haiti....you have no contact with the public so there's no threat from anything "Haitian"! It's a lovely place! If you ever do get a chance to go to Labadee, don't worry about it--it's a wonderful beach!

But, you got a great deal (and yes, the cabins ARE bigger on Carnival!!!) Have a great trip!

Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to this, only 5 months and 6 days to go ;)

Thanks! and You're welcome!

As a single income family ( she decided to go back to school a few years ago) we really have to watch our spending. All along we had planned a trip to Europe for our honeymoon. We decided that we could either afford airfare there and back OR hotel, food and ground transportation while we were there. A friend suggested a cruise so he we are!

I don't know if cruising will be come a standard vacation like it is for others or not BUT I am already looking at Alaska cruises for our 1 year anver!

I remember the excitement with which I researched my first cruise. My father took one with his aunt and uncle before he became too sick to leave the bed. He loved it and told me to do it before I ended up missing the opportunity.

I decided on Carnival Cruise Lines because I found that they offer the best prices for what is available. I am not a rock climber and do not go for roller skating. Therefore, those RCCL ships have nothing more to offer me for the extra $$ except a smaller room and worse food.

I can tell you that the food quality on Carnival has declined since the company has parted ways with their michelin rated french chef, but for the most part, it is pretty good. I still think the food is better on ship than in any Applebee's or TGIF's. Also, you can barely get a hotel room for the price of a Carnival cruise which INCLUDES the food and entertainment.

I have found that cruising in September is always the cheapest time of year to go because so few people vacation at this time of year. The excess inventory (empty cabins) = lower prices. I also like the smaller crowds and few, if any, kids (since they are all in school). There are many sites about the safety and non-issue of cruising in the heart of hurricane season, so I wont elaborate on that except to say that every cruise company will take any means necessary to avoid weather that could in any way endanger their passengers (law suits) or cause damage to a billion-dollar asset (ship). Sometimes, you may have to visit a different port than advertised or even do an entirely different itinerary, but it is worth it for the substantial cost savings. For example, a balcony cabin would cost ~$499 in September, but this exact same room goes for more than $1599 in the peak season (June/July). I always go in September because I tend to get more for the $$ like free upgrades in cabin and the ability to find a seat in the theater for the shows. In summer, the ship is so packed, you must be in your seat at least an hour before the show if you don't want to be standing at the door a mile from the stage.

Sailing on some of the older ships also saves money as these vessels tend to do the shorter itineraries (3-4 day), but also tend to have more experienced staff which usually equates to better service. The Fantasy class of Carnival ships have all undergone their multimillion dollar makeovers to improve the pool areas and add the mini-golf courses. These ships appear to be new and at 70k tons, they are small enough to have that cozy, warm experience, but large enough not to get bored. I have sailed on the larger ships a couple times and found that they offer little more than the smaller ships. The activities are about the same and so is the food, so unless you particularly wanted a longer time away from home, then perhaps a shorter cruise/smaller ship would suffice. If this is your first cruise, you wouldn't be missing anything anyway. For the record, I do NOT work for Carnival, I just love the dozen times that I have been on one of their ships. Hope this info helps.

Mr. T

You've been planning/researching and just now decided to look at another cruise line (one of the most popular) to check out prices? Seems weird. I'm not saying you are advertising, but it's a weird story. I've been on Carnival a few times (and sailed on the Valor last time) and it's a solid experience. I'm just interested in finding a different experience. I booked a Princess cruise for a few hundred dollars less (for two people) than Carnival was runing (Mexican Riviera). I don't know about RCL but I think it just varies from company to company (and the same ship cost can change at times). To me it's worth it to shop around and then do research on the lines you can afford.

Archived