Ship Account with UK Credit/Debit card

Dambuster

Help please!! Having downloaded our e-ticket boarding pass for our cruise in Jan 2010, I cannot remember what I selected with regard to the currency conversion when using a United Kingdom Credit/Debit prior to our cruise on the Ruby earlier this year.

I remember seeing an earlier thread discussing this, but I cannot track it down.

As a UK passenger, which is the best option of the two mentioned on the boarding pass to go for? Any advice please?

As a UK passenger, which is the best option of the two mentioned on the boarding pass to go for? Any advice please?

Best option is to have the ship bill your credit card in US$ and let the credit card company do the conversion to your currency.

If the ship bills you in your own currency, it will usually be at an unfavorable exchange rate with a 3% conversion fee added.

Some people have posted that the check mark on the boarding pass does not always make it into the ship's computer, so be sure to stop by the purser's desk to confirm that what you checked is what they will do.

Thanks very much Caribill and Hansi, I have a Capital One Card and did not have any problem with it on the Ruby. I couldn't remember what I checked on the Ruby Boarding Card, and the small print started to blur!!!!!

Must be old age setting in.

It is said that that two things go as old age sets in, one is memory......and I can't remember what the second is.

Thanks again.

I would also suggest that, if you do not already have one, you get a Nationwide credit card as they do not not charge commission on overseas transactions.

Sadly, Nationwide changed the t&c's of their credit card earlier this year. I believe there is now a charge (1%, I think) for dollar/sterling conversions. Euro/sterling conversions remain free.

Help please!! Having downloaded our e-ticket boarding pass for our cruise in Jan 2010, I cannot remember what I selected with regard to the currency conversion when using a United Kingdom Credit/Debit prior to our cruise on the Ruby earlier this year.

I remember seeing an earlier thread discussing this, but I cannot track it down.

When you get onboard, and it is quiet (ish), go to the pursers desk and stress that you want your account charged in dollars. They will likely get you to sign a form to this effect but keep stressing you want to be charged in dollars. Then when you get home your credit card company will do the conversion for you, probably at a better rate of exchange.

Pete.

You may also find out their rate for purchasing OBC as this is deduced in Sterling at the rate current when you booked the cruise. (Beware this could be lower than todays rate)

You can use this OBC for paying any onboard spending or paying some off final bill.

You may also find out their rate for purchasing OBC as this is deduced in Sterling at the rate current when you booked the cruise. (Beware this could be lower than todays rate)

You can use this OBC for paying any onboard spending or paying some off final bill.

yes, this is a useful piece of information... if the OBC purchase rate (set at booking time) is higher than exchange rate then it may be worth purchasing in advance. We had $2 to the pound this year which was fantastic as we booked in 2008. Certainly made a difference to purchases and (dare I say it) tipping..

Sadly, Nationwide changed the t&c's of their credit card earlier this year. I believe there is now a charge (1%, I think) for dollar/sterling conversions. Euro/sterling conversions remain free.

still better than 3% though!

and take a copy of it too. I would also suggest that, if you do not already have one, you get a Nationwide credit card as they do not not charge commission on overseas transactions.

Sorry to burst the bubble but Nationwide changed their rules They only DO NOT CHARGE in the European countries everywhere else there is a 1% charge. The UK Post ffice credit card does not charge at all

all credit cards charges 3% on top of the XE exchange rate.

Finance cards charges you 4% plus exchange rate

Your Bank when using your debit card with charge you $1us per transaction, plus XE exchange rate, plus ATM Debit transaction fee from $1.50*$2.50*$3.75 and then the ATM Debit machine on the ship will charge depending on the cruiseline $2.50 to $3.50

I would get the Purser office to charge your account in US Dollars.

The best way is to credit your Ship account when you board with a travellers cheque.

7 days = $750us minimum

14 days = $17oous minimum

anyone who spends less than that must be praying beside their bed all day in their cabin.

and take a copy of it too. I would also suggest that, if you do not already have one, you get a Nationwide credit card as they do not not charge commission on overseas transactions.

They do now....would suggest Post Office card - the only current one that doesn't.

Archived