Are the taxi's Vans?

katiecat

We have a group of 8-10 people going to Accra together, just wondering how many taxi's we'll need to hire to get there? How much should we offer as a group?

Thanks

Hi Katie - we were there last year and again this year (early Dec). Have had both cars and vans, but typically it will be a van. They will easily hold 10 people. Can't comment on price to Accra - we went to the Hilton which I believe is about half way to Accra (Aplmac could confirm) and it was $5US pp each way. Be aware though - they will always quote the price in Barbadian $ first (for everything), so it works out to exactly half of what they quote in US$.

Doug

Hi Katie - we were there last year and again this year (early Dec). Have had both cars and vans, but typically it will be a van. They will easily hold 10 people. Can't comment on price to Accra - we went to the Hilton which I believe is about half way to Accra (Aplmac could confirm) and it was $5US pp each way. Be aware though - they will always quote the price in Barbadian $ first (for everything), so it works out to exactly half of what they quote in US$.

Doug

Thank-You

Accra & Hilton are 2 miles apart I think Aplmac mentioned in a earlier post.

Hi Katiecat-

I know a few of us out of my gourp of 34 will be heading to Accra too! Are you going there the first or second week of your cruise? I'm on your first week cruise...LOL

Sue

I'm going the second week with a few from that roll call. I'm going to the Hilton the first week.

Word about the Hilton - it's a beautiful, fairly upscale place. The day we were there (Sunday) they claimed to be full and would not sell us the $35 package that included a drink and lunch - only the basic $25 pkg that covered use of facilities/towel/chair and, if avbl, an umbrella. But you were allowed to buy drinks and food - one drink $10US, a hamburger $18US (didn't buy). If you take your own towels the beach is free to use - just no shade. Entry is just east of the Hilton at a public parking lot.

Word about the Hilton - it's a beautiful, fairly upscale place. The day we were there (Sunday) they claimed to be full and would not sell us the $35 package that included a drink and lunch - only the basic $25 pkg that covered use of facilities/towel/chair and, if avbl, an umbrella. But you were allowed to buy drinks and food - one drink $10US, a hamburger $18US (didn't buy). If you take your own towels the beach is free to use - just no shade. Entry is just east of the Hilton at a public parking lot.

They want enough for a hamburger don't they. How much was a beer not $10 was it? I might take my little cooler and a few beer with me do you think that would be allowed.

They want enough for a hamburger don't they. How much was a beer not $10 was it? I might take my little cooler and a few beer with me do you think that would be allowed.

Don't know 'bout beer - that was for a MaiTai. Taking your own sounds good. Beach is public so Hilton couldn't say anything, or cud they if your using their chairs etc?? Maybe Aplmac would know.

Beach is public so Hilton couldn't say anything,

or could they, if you're using their chairs etc?? ===> Hellooo?? :cool:

Maybe Aplmac would know.

All beaches are public on the island, although access to many beaches can be problematic.

Hilton's broad beach

HiltonBeach-839.jpg

can be accessed however, as mentioned above..

and shade can be had, albeit at some distance back from the water's edge.

I don't think they'd appreciate you using their chairs

although you might simply lay your beach towel on the sand, and make do with that?

I'm not sure if their beach guys will simply hire you a chair -or what..

This 'fisheye' photo above was taken on an unusually-calm day in October.

The water will not be as calm as what you see here, guaranteed

and so using their pool would be preferable

which brings us back to their day pass option(if available).

There is a more sheltered inlet over the other,Western side of the beach

where you might take a dip without much wave action

so it might yet work for you..

Hope this helps?

Archived