Another Princess Excursion Question

ShipShapeinFL

Ok, so now we've decided we are going to want to take a snorkel excursion to St John. Has anyone done the Princess 1/2 day Champagne Catamaran tour to St John? If so what beach do you stop at and how is the snorkeling? Would you recommend this tour? I know we could do these tours cheaper privately but we are going to stick with the ship run tours.

Did a snorkel SE here, and they took us out to Coki Point where they actually feed the fish and you can see the different blue tangs and angel fish. Npt much in the way of coral or reef as it's a beach entry with a built up rock point for the aquarium.

Also did a dive here (shallow) in about 75 feet of water and swam with "Old Charlie" a 6ft barracuda who is like a pet at the beach there. He loves to come up behind you on your shoulder and swim in the bubbles from your regulator so you can actually pet him as you swim with him. He stayed with me fo about 30 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Ciao for now!!!

We've snorkeled on St. John and St. Thomas. IMHO, I don't think you can beat Trunk Bay on St. John. The area around Coki Beach is good, but doesn't begin to compare.

We have booked the Princess 1/2 day Champagne Catamaran tour to St John for our upcoming Grand cruise. I've read a lot of good reviews about it; however, I don't believe it goes to Trunk Bay.

Lew

JMHO... I think it's best to avoid giving your money to any tour operator who feeds wildlife. This is a terrible practice that can really impact animal populations. Try to go with tour guides that do their best to avoid disturbing the wildlide .

We've snorkeled on St. John and St. Thomas. IMHO, I don't think you can beat Trunk Bay on St. John. The area around Coki Beach is good, but doesn't begin to compare.

We have booked the Princess 1/2 day Champagne Catamaran tour to St John for our upcoming Grand cruise. I've read a lot of good reviews about it; however, I don't believe it goes to Trunk Bay.

Lew

When are you going? You'll have to post back and let me know how it was. I don't mind not going to Truck Bay because I've heard all the beaches on St John are beautiful, just curious to know which beach they do stop at.

If you are wanting to do quite a bit of snorkeling, keep in mind the half day trip spends most of it's time getting to St. John an returning, so there is only about 45 minutes or so to actually snorkel there. We have taken this 1/2 day excursion twice now, and I can't say it ranks up there with any of the best snorkeling excursions we have taken, mainly as it just doesn't give you a lot of time there.

The one we have taken takes you to Honeymoon Beach and anchors off the shore. If you wish to actually go to the beach, you either have to snorkel there or swim unless the excursion provides a small dingy to take you to the beach. One time this excursion was on a large catamaran, the second it was a very very small one where we we had about a dozen passengers sitting across from each other on benchs for the trip.

Ok, so now we've decided we are going to want to take a snorkel excursion to St John. Has anyone done the Princess 1/2 day Champagne Catamaran tour to St John? If so what beach do you stop at and how is the snorkeling? Would you recommend this tour? I know we could do these tours cheaper privately but we are going to stick with the ship run tours.

We did the 1/2 day champagne sail to St John the first of Dec off the Ruby Princess. This may, or may not, be the same one you're looking at.. but IF it is, it was great!! They bused us to a marina about 15 mins from the ship where we boarded the cat. They motor-sailed over to St John (due to prevailing winds and currents) and sailed most of the way back. We stopped at Honeymoon Beach (not Trunk Bay) which is very pretty although not large. I don't snorkel, so can't comment, but the people who did seemed to enjoy it. The crew was young, very energetic and knowledgeable of the area, always pointing out things of interest and providing a history of the area. This is the second time we've done this excursion (different companies both times) and really enjoyed both. Ten times better than the cat to Bird Island on Antigua!!

Don't think you can go wrong with this excursion.

I've taken a couple of Princess snorkling tours to St. John's in the past and we've gone to Trunk Bay. It's not only amazing but it's got an underwater, self-guided snorkle tour. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Right now we've reserved the Trunk Bay tour and the 1/2 day catamaran. Will have to decide on the two closer to cruise time.

Right now we've reserved the Trunk Bay tour and the 1/2 day catamaran. Will have to decide on the two closer to cruise time.

From everthing I've read, and people whom I've talked to (who have been there) Trunk Bay is a nicer beach and better snorkeling. However, in Dec when were just there the National Parks had closed Trunk Bay - no explanation given, and don't know for how long it would be closed. Plus it's farther to get to, therefore costlier?? and a 'Full Day Cat Sail' if I'm not mistaken. (Less time for that required shopping :D)

On our last cruise, we booked a snorkeling excursion with Castaway Girl. It is a great catamaran tour that takes you out to Buck Island. No, it's not St. Johns, but a great snorkeling site at best. We saw a shipwreck, many colorful fish, a stingray and even an octopus. And, great rum punch on the way back. We still had plenty of time to shop. Just another option.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some questions about Trunk Bay. I am considering goving over to St John in March. I hope its not closed then:( I am considering renting a jeep and touring the island and stopping at a couple beaches...good idea??? Suggestions??

We are a group of 6 with mixed interests. I googled and looked at several websites but I am unclear about some things yet:

1. Does Trunk Bay have shade, chairs for rent, umbrellas? Also how expensive is the food there? How much is it to rent snorkle gear or a float mat? Do you need water shoes? Rocky???

2. What beaches in St John have parasailing or Jet skiing???

3. Where will Caribbean Princess be docked when I am there? March 22nd? So which ferry do I need to take? How long is the ride to the ferry?? How about once on St John...where to rent a jeep? Or how far of a cab ride to beach?

We are also trying to decide between this excursion and the one that goes to Trunk bay. I heard the 1/2 day Catamaran goes to Honeymoon beach? Were you able to confirm this? I wonder how nice this beach is? Thanks!

In July 2007 we did this excurson and it was our favorite excursion on the 2 Caribbean cruises (Eastern and Western) we have taken so far. Honeymoon Beach was wonderful and we had plenty of snorkling time and saw loads of fish. It was also great to be able to take a rest on the beautiful beach. We will soon take another cruise to the Southern Caribbean and look forward to the St. Thomas stop so we can do the full day verson of this excursion.:D

I have some questions about Trunk Bay. I am considering goving over to St John in March. I hope its not closed then:( I am considering renting a jeep and touring the island and stopping at a couple beaches...good idea??? Suggestions??

We are a group of 6 with mixed interests. I googled and looked at several websites but I am unclear about some things yet:

1. Does Trunk Bay have shade, chairs for rent, umbrellas? Also how expensive is the food there? How much is it to rent snorkle gear or a float mat? Do you need water shoes? Rocky???

Yes, it has shade. There are plenty of trees. We rented some chairs. I am not sure whether they have umbrellas for rent or not. They have snorkeling gear and floating equipments too. We also had non-snorkeling people in our group. They simply enjoyed the beach and played in the shallow water.

2. What beaches in St John have parasailing or Jet skiing???

3. Where will Caribbean Princess be docked when I am there? March 22nd? So which ferry do I need to take? How long is the ride to the ferry?? How about once on St John...where to rent a jeep? Or how far of a cab ride to beach?

Just take the ferry to St. John. (You may need to take a shuttle to the ferry port first. I can't remember. It was several years ago.) The ferry was about an hour ride. When you arrive, you get a taxi to Truck Bay. The taxis were all regulated. The taxi ride was not too long.

We didn't take the Princess excursion because the excursion was in the afternoon, and we wanted to go in the morning. We were able to spend more time at Trunk Bay. However, after adding ferry fare, taxi fare, park entrance fee and rental together, it was not cheaper compared with the excursion.

Archived