3 ships--same ports, similiar pricing--how to choose?

boowaaccaa

Looking at booking our next cruise--around Jan 2011. We live in Canada so we will either be driving or flying to port.

Right now we have 3 options:

Legend--out of Tampa

Glory--out of Miami

Valor--out of Miami

All have the same ports of call

At first we decided we would do Legend becuase getting in and out of Tampa would be easier (closer drive or cheaper flight). But if we do drive it will only be an extra 2-3 hours ish.

BUT--now doing more searches on the 7A cabin that we would get for the same price as a 8A on the Glory or Valor has turned our focus a bit.

Also our adult children may also travel too and an interior room on the Glory or Valor is $369 vs $459 on the Legend.

Is there anything specific about these ships that people like or dislike over the other ones...?

Looking at booking our next cruise--around Jan 2011. We live in Canada so we will either be driving or flying to port.

Legend--out of Tampa

Glory--out of Miami

Valor--out of Miami

At first we decided we would do Legend becuase getting in and out of Tampa would be easier (closer drive or cheaper flight). But if we do drive it will only be an extra 2-3 hours ish.

BUT--now doing more searches on the 7A cabin that we would get for the same price as a 8A on the Glory or Valor has turned our focus a bit.

Also our adult children may also travel too and an interior room on the Glory or Valor is $369 vs $459 on the Legend.

Is there anything specific about these ships that people like or dislike over the other ones...?

Going strictly by departure port, I would choose Tampa.

1. I lived there for about 12 years and know my way around.

2. Other things I would want to do there.

3. I HATE driving, especially in areas I am not familiar with.

4. I have had to drive in Miami a couple of times and if I

never have to do it again...you won't hear me complaining

Legend--out of Tampa

Glory--out of Miami

Valor--out of Miami

I am not sure what Ports you are looking at, but I will tell you we have a Great CC Group rate going for Jan 15th 2011, you are welcome to check out the group, the ports and the prices...(the prices are better than the ES on the Carnival site, plus OBC and Reduced Deposit) e-mail me if you want the prices, or check out the links in my Signature. I do see you have sailed the Liberty, so this ship may not even be an option, but if money has anything to do with your thoughts, than this might be the cruise for you.

Legend--out of Tampa

Glory--out of Miami

Valor--out of Miami

DW and I have sailed both the Glory and Legend. Both ships are about the same. Glory has a Fish and Chips place that Legend doesn't have, and pool areas seemed a little bit bigger, probably because the Glory is wider. But Legend was a little easier to negotiate and we never had a line to get into the MDR except on first night.

Tampa was an easier port to embark/disembark from for us. We were on the lido deck about 15 minutes after checking in and were on the road by 9:15 a.m. on departure day.

But if Glory is cheaper ...

I too would choose "Legend". I like the Spirit class ships better, and once again, Tampa is easier to embark/disembark from. If you're driving, parking at Tampa is currently $5 per day less expensive than Miami, and it's probably 4 to 5 hours closer to you than Miami is. Hotels are less expensive as well, and you can find a hotel that will let you park, and leave the car there while you cruise, which is even less expensive. "Legend" is a GREAT ship, and I know you'd have a wonderful cruise aboard her.

"SKY"

I've sailed Glory and Valor and loved them both. Maybe see which one will have been in drydock most recently? Otherwise I'd go with price and/or time spent in port (I prefer to spend as much time in port as possible) and/or number of sea days (I prefer 3 ports to 4, just because I enjoy sea days).

Good luck!

Sometimes before I choose a Cruise I checkout the Roll calls to see what what is going on and what people have planned. Last year this worked out just super. We had our best Cruise ever and this year we have over 30 of the same people on this January's Cruise

Proud to be a Miracle Waiter and looking forward to Rocking the Canal on the Freedom.

We love the Glory She had a nice area on her in the spa / gym with a whirlpool (nice and warm and stronger jets) then the outside main deck ones. Also there was a small motion/lap pool. Beautiful rock wall/waterfall in there also. and NO KIDS !!!!! Never had a problem embarking or debarking in Miami. You will also find cheaper flights into FT Lauderdale then into Miami through Southwest. We always go that route. Bout a thirty minte Carnival bus ride from FLL to POM.

We are partial to the "larger" ships, and would probably take one of them over Legend. Have never had a problem embarking/debarking Miami. We prefer ships with the movie screen on Lido - just gives a bit more entertainment for us. I think Valor has one on, and Glory will get one when she goes into drydock in a few months.

Legend--out of Tampa

Glory--out of Miami

Valor--out of Miami

I think the Legend is the prettiest ship I have been on. I dislike the decor on the Valor the most. The presidents faces in the atrium, and all those gold eagles didn't do it for me. The lime green table and chairs on the Lido deck are very unattractive. I don't like the decor at all. But that's just me. Haven't been on the Glory.

If you prefer the balcony, then take the balcony on Glory or Valor (which you noted was priced the same as a 7A on Legend). You'll just have to flip a coin to pick between Glory and Valor, as they're pretty much identical. Valor is a year or two newer than Glory, if that means anything. Tampa is better for embarking and debarking than Miami, but not enough so to forego a balcony, IMHO.

Legend--out of Tampa

Glory--out of Miami

Valor--out of Miami

We have not been on the Glory but we have been on the Legend and Valor, I would cruise the Legend again in a heartbeat. Also we have cruised out of Miami and Tampa we found Tampa to be the easier of the ports to go out from. Found the Valor to be a little bigger than what we like. We are booked in a 7a on our 2011 cruise on the Miracle ( Legend's sister ship) There are pictures of both the Legend and the Valor in my signature.

I too am partial to the spirit class ships having been on 3 of the 4 but Ive been on the Valor twice and like her too just not as much as the Spirit class

But you are right about pricing the 7a is a obstucted balcony with either tenders or life boats in front of your balcony you can see over the top half but not down

They all do the same Itenarary

So is it cheaper to fly to Tampa save money on air but spend it on your cabin or spend a little more on air and save money on your cabin going to Miami

smiley3817.gif

Legend--out of Tampa

Glory--out of Miami

Valor--out of Miami

Dear OP,

I personally love these POC's. They all offer exciting adventerous activies while ashore. While I don't post very often.. I have read many many reviews on these boards indicating the Carnival Legend has a better laid out deck plan, keeping in mind there is only one MDR, it makes it easier to navigate the mid-ship elevator line that we all seem to get stuck at least once during our cruise. (On the Valor and Glory exiting the mid-ship elevators on level 3 between the two MDR's can make for a frustrating journey.) While all the ships are considered the "larger" newer ships, they all have the reservations only Steak House. (Which I have to say if you enjoy a good steak/lamb chop/pork chop is worth the $30 per person!) The Legend mid-ship pool has the retractable roof, while the aft pool on the Glory and Valor has the retractable roof. I have found on these ships (Glory and Valor) that there tends to be less "kids", less "action", and generally a more reserved type of person tends to frequent this area.

Have you seen pictures of the 7A category? If not you should ask your PVP to send them to you. You can still use your balcony, you just see the top of the lifeboat that hangs off the side of the ship, attached to the deck below. The interior cabins are very limited on this ship, so book early!

On a side note the Valor seems to recieve mixed reviews from frequent cruisers, while the Legend tends to get more positive feedback. Not entirely sure why.

So, in closing if the port of Tampa is easier/cheaper to get to, then you may want to choose the Legend. Leaving out of Tampa and cruising under the Sky Bridge is an amazing experience!!! Everyone should experience it at least once. Good luck on which ever you chose.

If you prefer the balcony, then take the balcony on Glory or Valor (which you noted was priced the same as a 7A on Legend). You'll just have to flip a coin to pick between Glory and Valor, as they're pretty much identical. Valor is a year or two newer than Glory, if that means anything. Tampa is better for embarking and debarking than Miami, but not enough so to forego a balcony, IMHO.

I totally agree!

Boowaacaa if you are really interested in a balcony you will get the better deal on the Glory or Valor..........We are looking at the same ships except the Valor because we already sailed on her......but I can't justify paying the same price for an 8A and 7A........plus with the free category upgrade we are able to upgrade to an 8E on the Glory (panorama)which is our fav deck and the Spirit class does not have deck that comes close to this........

for the same price as 8A on the Legend........

That is a deal breaker for me because as far as the difference in class to me there is not enough to turn down the better balcony and location for the same price......

Good luck!

Thanks all for your thoughts and opinions.

I think what I will do is wait a bit and see which ship gets past guest upgrades and go from there. I do want ES so I can't wait toooo long...ES got us $180 back on our last cruise plus an upgrade from 8a to 8n.

I am not sure what Ports you are looking at, but I will tell you we have a Great CC Group rate going for Jan 15th 2011, you are welcome to check out the group, the ports and the prices...(the prices are better than the ES on the Carnival site, plus OBC and Reduced Deposit) e-mail me if you want the prices, or check out the links in my Signature. I do see you have sailed the Liberty, so this ship may not even be an option, but if money has anything to do with your thoughts, than this might be the cruise for you.

Thanks for the invite--we already did this trip (almost the same ports with the exception of Key West over Mexico)..so I would decline--BUT so far that was our favorite cruise!

Archived