Why China Merchant Wharf Terminal in Hong Kong...

vaitape

instead of the International Cruise ship Terminal in Kowloon?

We're on the Nautica in March and are disappointed to see that our ship is outposted in Kennedy Town instead of the usual cruise ship terminal in Kowloon.....which is close to many tourist attractions and adjacent to Star Ferry terminal, as well as mass transit access. What's up with this....?

Does anyone have any experience with China Merchant Wharf Terminal?

We're on the Nautica in March and are disappointed to see that our ship is outposted in Kennedy Town instead of the usual cruise ship terminal in Kowloon.....

Frankly, you really need to direct your question to Oceania instead of here....

Hong Kong has had been using only one terminal wharf for cruise ships for years - Harbour City Ocean Terminal.

However, with the closing of the old airport at Kai Tak, a new cruise terminal was planned with the ability to dock more and larger ships. I suspect that project is now nearing completion, and will be put into operation. I have not much further information and again suggest you contact Oceania.

ok, the most important part of my query is the what not the why. Sorry I wasn't clear...

Does anyone have experience with the outpost China Merchant Wharf Terminal in Hong Kong?

I figured it was cheaper for Oceania to put us out there rather than at the international cruise ship terminal which is more accessible to tourist facilities and landmarks.

I very much doubt that anyone "has had experience with the China Merchant Terminal". It appears that it won't be fully functional until 2012, but no doubt portions will open earlier.

Your comment, and that of the previous poster, would suggest that you are not familiar with docking assignments in ports world-wide. These assignments are made by the port authorities, or the Harbor master, and often the cruise line has little to say.

Stating the Oceania's position at this new terminal was a due to being "cheap" is totally inaccurate. (And No, I don't work for "O")

Look here for further info: http://cruiseislandtravel.suite101.com/article.cfm/new_cruise_terminal_for_hong_kong_by_2012

Yes, I am naive on how ships are assigned berths. It is because of my naivete that I asked the question in the first place.

Cheaper, less expensive, costs less, more cost effective, better bang for the buck....whatever the term. Saving $$ is sensible as long as the end product's quality is the same. Not blasting Oceania....just posing a question. And it seems that cost is not involved here, according to your reply.

I should have posted the question as What is China Merchant Wharf Terminal instead of Why. From my research on the internet, CMWT offered few facilities and was in a location called Kennedy Town.....a place that is not mentioned in the travel guides....the ones I have anyway.

I know that I can contact my TA and/or Oceania regarding questions......that's how I learned that we were at CMWT in the first place. I just thought the helpful folks here at CC might have some first hand experience, as this will be our first visit to Hong Kong and our first cruise on Oceania.

I think I recognize your name from some of the FP travel boards. I can't answer, but hopefully someone will have some useful information for you.

Hi LaurieB, C'est moi!

We are traveling further afield in 2010...a bit daunting to venture beyond familiar territory....we are excited though!

Hope you are well.......and that a trip to FP is in your future.

the Hong Kong authorities will assign berths based on ship size and frequency of calls. So if several larger ships that call more frequently (such as Star Cruises and Princess) that require large facilities, are scheduled, they will put a smaller ship such as Nautica at Merchant Wharf.

Just be glad Nautica is small as on one Princess cruise and one Holland America, we ended up being docked all the way out in a cargo berth. They could not even use shuttle buses to get us to town, they had to tender us from the container port. NOT fun!

We were on Nautica last year and we docked in Koolong. From Koolong to see Hong Kong attractions we had to take the Star Ferry. It looks like where she is docked this year is actually more convient to metro HK, Victoria Peak, Stanley Market and ferries to othe HK islands. We really enjoyed the high speed ferry ride to Mui Wo on Lantau and bus to Tian Tan Buddha. If you are going to Beijing, the 5-day pre/post excursion for Beijing and Xian was awesome and gave excellent value. If you are headed to Athens that is also fantastic cruise. We did both last year. As we were between back-to-back cruises in HK, Oceania did not offer any shore excursion. We did it on our own and managed quite well using buses and high speed ferry. Have a great trip

We're on the Nautica in March and are disappointed to see that our ship is outposted in Kennedy Town instead of the usual cruise ship terminal in Kowloon.....which is close to many tourist attractions and adjacent to Star Ferry terminal, as well as mass transit access. What's up with this....?

Does anyone have any experience with China Merchant Wharf Terminal?

We were on Nautica last year and we docked in Koolong. From Koolong to see Hong Kong attractions we had to take the Star Ferry. It looks like where she is docked this year is actually more convient to metro HK, Victoria Peak, Stanley Market and ferries to othe HK islands. We really enjoyed the high speed ferry ride to Mui Wo on Lantau and bus to Tian Tan Buddha. If you are going to Beijing, the 5-day pre/post excursion for Beijing and Xian was awesome and gave excellent value. If you are headed to Athens that is also fantastic cruise. We did both last year. As we were between back-to-back cruises in HK, Oceania did not offer any shore excursion. We did it on our own and managed quite well using buses and high speed ferry. Have a great trip

Thanks you 2 for the info.......very helpful. Yes, sounds like we should be glad that we will be berthed at CMWT rather than further out.

Thanks you 2 for the info.......very helpful. Yes, sounds like we should be glad that we will be berthed at CMWT rather than further out.

Hello, We are on this cruise too. It is a pity that the ship seem to be docked at the China Merchant Terminalicon9.gif instead of Ocean Centre Terminal.icon7.gif Ocean Central terminal is right besides the Star Ferryicon7.gif which takes you for HKD 1.80 (lower deck or HKD 2.50 upper deck to Central.

China Merchant Terminal is in the middle of no whereicon8.gif and difficult to reach if you are staying on Kowloon side. Anyway let's wait and see the final place of berth of the Nautica nearer the departure date. From wintery Amsterdam in The Netherlands. Peter

We were docked there last year on The Azamara Quest. Obviously the cruise terminal is booked up or at least that was what they told us, but I am sure berthing cost has something to do with it. They did have shuttles to the central subway station that ran every half hour and they do tave taxis just outside the gates which is about 200 yards from the berth. It obviously is not as convienent as the Ocean Terminal, especially if you are out shopping where you could just get back on board and return to the centre of town within minutes.

The convenient Kowloon cruise terminal has very limited capacity. One berth is nearly always occupied by the gambling cruise ship. Cruise lines must book berths far in advance and some lines with long term relationships with the port authority do seem to get preference. But I don't think it is simply a matter of cost.

Archived