LIVE-The Grand Southern Carib Holiday Cruise with Sungirl 12/21/09

KCSungirl

Oh Sungirl, I just love your live posts. Could you take a picture of your lovely suite w/tree & presents & lights and possibly post. I would love to see it. We did a family Christmas cruise on Princess in 2005 on the Golden and it was a blast!!!, but the tree & lights sound great!!! Sorrow to hear about the weather, but my motto is..."the worst weather cruising is far better than the best day working"....lol. Hubby & I were on the Emerald in Nov., 2009 and had a wonderful day in Grand Turk - swimming; snorkeling; partying at Jimmy Buffet's place....Take care....please try to post some pics.....Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday....Joanne

sungirl...thanks for taking time out of your cruise to post. It is a lot of fun to read! I'm from KC and we're currently getting ice and it will soon turn over to snow...I would definitely like to be where you are! Look forward to reading more of your posts.

Merry Christmas from the Grand Princess

I have been busy as Santa’s Helper and am getting behind in my reports to you.

La Romana - Another total wash out AND we were held hostage at Catalina Island for four hours. I can’t tell you anything about La Romana other than what I have read in travel guides. Casas del Campo is a nice resort for golf, but does not have public beach access from what I have read. We booked the Catalina Island excursion thru the ship. Catalina Island is similar to Princess Cay. The only way to book the excursion is thru the ship as far as I could tell. The ferry picks you up at the cruise ship so you don’t exit the port gates. It is a 30 minute ride to the island. It was raining from the moment we left the pier to the moment we returned. The ferry ride was very rough and anyone prone to seasickness would have been sick. The bathroom on the ferry was disgusting. I almost vomited when I had to use it after one of the ferry crew members decided to take care of business. When we arrived on the island everyone went to a thatched roof restaurant to wait out the rains. We decided to stay on the ferry, as we would have gotten soaked walking to the restaurant. The lightening was bad so I asked the ferry crew who spoke zero English if we could return early to the ship. They said no. We were pretty upset. It was unreasonable and irresponsible for Princess to run the excursion in the weather conditions. They did cancel all the snorkel trips and other water related excursions. We made the best of a bad situation by making friends with a couple from England. They stayed on the ferry boat with us and we spent fours hours getting to know each other. I was cold and wet and wishing I was in my cabin napping.

Lesson learned/note to self:

1. DO NOT book any non-capacity controlled excursion until the morning of the excursion.

2. Do not book any excursion that doesn’t have any way of getting you back to the ship in case of an emergency or weather issues.

I would not recommend the Catalina Island excursion, not because we had a bad weather day, but it was a big commitment and the beach was not that great. I much prefer Princess Cay. The lunch was $15 or $20/pp. I personally would not trust the food. Another reason I wouldn’t go back.

We returned to the ship at 2:30pm. At 4pm I marched to the excursion desk to kindly asked them for a refund. They didn’t take my name, as they said they had a complete list. From what I can tell on my cabin charges I have been credited for the excursion($69/pp). I was way more upset about losing the time more than the money.

Christmas Eve was Becky and I’s Santa Helper Debut. We dressed in cute Santa Helper costumes and handed out 1000 candy canes throughout the ship. Becky had three drawers filled with candy canes. It was a lot of fun. We hit every venue on the ship. They had Christmas caroling in the atrium and piano bar. We missed the comedy illusionist Peter Gossmar because we were too busy being Santa Helpers. We were especially amused by the naughty boys over the age 75.;-) I promise to post some photos when time permits.

We ended the night at the Horizon Court around 11pm. The cabin movie was Imagine That with Eddie Murphy.

St.Thomas - After four days of rain, we asked Santa for sunshine. He brought cloudy skies, but no rain. We chartered a sailboat for a day sail to St. John. We taxied to Red Hook from Crown Bay. The taxis are expensive, $11/pp one way to Red Hook.. I found a charter operator online who was willing to work Christmas Day - Rumbaba, a nice 47 ft. sailboat. The filet mignon and mahi mahi lunch was gourmet and wonderful and the open bar was nice, but the excursion was a terrible value. We basically spent $500 plus $75 tip, plus the $100 taxi ride to sail four feet off St. Thomas to Christmas cove, along with several other cruise ship snorkelers. It was a disappointment. I was looking for a more extra ordinary experience. Lesson learned: When a tour operator says you are going to St. John, make sure you clarify and verify on the map your location before booking. For $700 I think I could have found a more special excursion. I think I am also put off when tour operators treat everyone as ignorant amateurs. I am a very experienced cruiser/traveler and I know when tour operators are cutting corners or not delivering on what was promised. We had an ok time and if the weather had been nicer, I might not feel so let down.

I had my picture taken with Santa along with all the kids under 12. Becky and I also had Santa helper costumes for daytime . The candy cane sunglasses were great. Tonight was formal night again. We had dinner in the dining room and it was painfully slow. 3 hours for a table of eight. We joined a group of four girls from Alaska. They were darling, but the service was pitiful. We are done with the dining room. This seems to be a consistent issue. Are they understaffed on the floor? Kitchen? My DH’a steak was like shoe leather. Speaking of shoes, I can’t stop laughing because of my husband’s shoes. Like I mentioned before, we haven’t worn formal wear on a cruise since 2004. I packed my husband’s vinyl/plastic tuxedo shoes without looking at them. He wore them tonight and somehow the glue had decomposed that held the sole to the shoe. Both of his shoe soles fell off during dinner. I was laughing uncontrollably and my DH was so embarrassed. After dinner I went to the Christmas Holiday Show featuring the singers/dancers and entertainment staff. I loved the show because this is when you get to appreciate the true talent of others. They didn’t sing to a recorded track tonight. Live voices with the orchestra. One of the cruise directors staff wrote a Christmas song about being away from family at Christmas . It really touched me that he was so thoughtful and talented to be able to write a song, play a guitar, and sing beautifully. A little cheesy, but a great show.

Tonight’s cabin movie - Four Christmases, with Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon

We are so tired. We have been running non-stop since we got on the ship. My DH keeps asking me when the vacation starts. Please pray for sunny skies. I am starting to wilt.

See you tomorrow in St. Kitts. Sungirl ;-)

St.Thomas - After four days of rain, we asked Santa for sunshine. He brought cloudy skies, but no rain. We chartered a sailboat for a day sail to St. John. We taxied to Red Hook from Crown Bay. The taxis are expensive, $11/pp one way to Red Hook.. I found a charter operator online who was willing to work Christmas Day - Rumbaba, a nice 47 ft. sailboat. The filet mignon and mahi mahi lunch was gourmet and wonderful and the open bar was nice, but the excursion was a terrible value. We basically spent $500 plus $75 tip, plus the $100 taxi ride to sail four feet off St. Thomas to Christmas cove, along with several other cruise ship snorkelers. It was a disappointment.

What reason did they give for not going to St John?

From Rumbaba's web site:

Sample itinerary for the full day goes something like this.

• We meet around 9:15 for the boarding.
  • As we leave the harbor to set sail, sample the Captain's exceptional Bloody Mary's and our fresh baked bread.
  • With the wind and your wishes as our guide we choose one of our many incredible Virgin Island destinations.
  • Now it's time for snorkeling, swimming, beaching or just hanging out while we prepare a fabulous lunch.
  • Following the feast you may opt for more time in the water or relax with one of our specialty drinks.
  • A peaceful downwind sail takes you back to the dock by around 3:30.

http://www.onlinecruisingguide.com/ECaribbean/VirginIslands/USVI/StThomas/StThomas.html

La Romana - Another total wash out AND we were held hostage at Catalina Island for four hours. I can’t tell you anything about La Romana other than what I have read in travel guides. Casas del Campo is a nice resort for golf, but does not have public beach access from what I have read. We booked the Catalina Island excursion thru the ship. Catalina Island is similar to Princess Cay. The only way to book the excursion is thru the ship as far as I could tell. The ferry picks you up at the cruise ship so you don’t exit the port gates. It is a 30 minute ride to the island. It was raining from the moment we left the pier to the moment we returned. The ferry ride was very rough and anyone prone to seasickness would have been sick. The bathroom on the ferry was disgusting. I almost vomited when I had to use it after one of the ferry crew members decided to take care of business. When we arrived on the island everyone went to a thatched roof restaurant to wait out the rains. We decided to stay on the ferry, as we would have gotten soaked walking to the restaurant. The lightening was bad so I asked the ferry crew who spoke zero English if we could return early to the ship. They said no. We were pretty upset. It was unreasonable and irresponsible for Princess to run the excursion in the weather conditions. They did cancel all the snorkel trips and other water related excursions. We made the best of a bad situation by making friends with a couple from England. They stayed on the ferry boat with us and we spent fours hours getting to know each other. I was cold and wet and wishing I was in my cabin napping.

Lesson learned/note to self:

Your experience at La Romana is inexcusable and is likely an example why the port stop is changing to Santo Domingo.

Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to your report on St Kitts. :)

I'm following your posts because we are boarding the Grand on Jan. 15. We noticed the other day that Princess had changed from Dominican Republic to San Juan instead, so I was ecstatic since I love the shopping in San Juan! :D I'm enjoying your posts! Keep up the good work!

Praying the sun stays out. Those clouds are trying to take over.

Our day in St. Kitts yesterday was wonderful. I have a new appreciation for St. Kitts.. On previous visits to St. Kitts we had been to the Marriott on Frigate Bay and Timothy Beach. We did not like either place. Today we found our perfect place - Cockleshell Beach. The drive to the beach is gorgeous, and the monkey’s are fun to see playing on the side of the road. Cockleshell Beach faces Nevis and the view is wonderful. The sand is a darker champagne color. We parked in front of the Spice Mill Restaurant on for the day. This restaurant had a certain style and class that I rarely see in the islands. The food was gourmet and wait staff was excellent. We had conch fritters, mahi mahi filets, coleslaw , fries, 4 diet cokes, 3 beers ($80). We can’t wait to go back to St Kitt’s again someday. There is another restaurant down the beach called The Beach House. I will try them next time. The owners came from Cap Juluca in Anguilla, my absolute favorite place in the whole world. The weather was not perfect, but the sun finally came out about 1:30pm and it has been nice ever since. We shopped in town before boarding the ship. DH bought a t-shirt and I bought a knock off Burberry purse to go with the authentic linen Burberry scarf I got for Christmas. (Thank you so much, Mom). T-Shirt tip - those Comfort Colors brand t-shirts are the best. My DH has several and they hold up well and look a lot hipper than white t-shirts. We came back to the ship at 4:32pm. They were telling us to hurry up because the Grand wanted to leave early to beat The Ruby out of port. We left ten minutes earlier than scheduled. I can’t figure out if there is some sort of friendly competition between the ships to see who can have all the passengers on board first. It was great fun to be docked with our extended cruise family The Ruby. Our balcony faced the Ruby balconies. It was a big party at sail away. Everyone was chatting, waving, and spreading New Year wishes. The Ruby had much better weather than we did because they went further south on the front end. They will be in St. Thomas tomorrow. I forgot to mention about St. Thomas that there were four ships in port and I have never seen St. Thomas so quiet due to the holiday. No traffic.

When we got back to our cabin we enjoyed happy hour for two hours with a spectacular sunset. We went to the Horizon Court at 8pm for dinner. DH and I agreed the buffet was weak tonight. Whenever we see the words “Minute Steak”, we go running. I lied that we were done with the dining room. We went to the dining room and had a wonderful dinner of filet mignon, jumbo shrimp, and lamb. A table for two is the solution to our dining room woes. Mike and Becky went to MUTS. The four of us are on somewhat different schedules. They get up early, eat early, and go to bed early. We sleep later, eat later, and go to bed later. We spend about half our time together.

After dinner we checked out some photos in the photo gallery. Our Santa’s Helper’s photos are great. I also forgot to mention that Becky’s husband also dressed in costume. He looked like a cross between a Santa **** and a Santa penguin. Great top hat and cane.

We went to the Princess theater for the featured Vegas piano man show. I was a little leery of a performer named Lionardo. Shouldn’t it be Leonardo? Reminds me of the episode of The Sopranos when Uncle Philly was explaining to his grandson that they changed the family name from Leonardo to Leotardo. Why? Because they’re stupid! Lionardo opened the show with MacArthur Park, written by the greatest songwriter of all time - Jimmy Webb (By the Time I get to Phoenix, Galveston, Up,Up and Away, and many more). Lionardo morphed into Van Cliburn and we went to our cabin. Cabin movie - Julie and Julia.

I talked to the Captain’s Circle host. I am no where near the most traveled passenger list at 140 days. I am number 173. I feel so lucky and blessed to have the days I do. Nothing bad about being 173 out of 3500 people.

Thank you to everyone for commenting on my thread. I hope everyone is enjoying the cruise. See you soon with my St. Vincent report. Special shout out to MyCruz Mary. Love ya,girl. Cheers,Sungirl

I'm following your posts because we are boarding the Grand on Jan. 15. We noticed the other day that Princess had changed from Dominican Republic to San Juan instead, so I was ecstatic since I love the shopping in San Juan! :D I'm enjoying your posts! Keep up the good work!

Where did you see this about switching DR for SJ?

We are on this sailing in March.

I love San Juan - just there a few weeks ago. Found the best Mojito in San Juan at El Convento.

However, have not been to Santo Domingo yet, so ether way will be OK.

Thanks -

Love the posts, Sungirl.

Praying the sun stays out. Those clouds are trying to take over.

I talked to the Captain’s Circle host. I am no where near the most traveled passenger list at 140 days. I am number 173. I feel so lucky and blessed to have the days I do. Nothing bad about being 173 out of 3500 people.

Thank you to everyone for commenting on my thread. I hope everyone is enjoying the cruise. See you soon with my St. Vincent report. Special shout out to MyCruz Mary. Love ya,girl. Cheers,Sungirl

Was they any word on the cutoff number for the Captains lunch or cocktail reception?

Where did you see this about switching DR for SJ?

We are on this sailing in March.

I love San Juan - just there a few weeks ago. Found the best Mojito in San Juan at El Convento.

However, have not been to Santo Domingo yet, so ether way will be OK.

Thanks -

Love the posts, Sungirl.

On our roll call a couple of people had posted about the change, so I went to the cruise personalizer on the Princess website, and sure enough, DR was replaced with San Juan! Never got an email or a call from TA or Princess about the change, so I guess the only way to find out is on the cruise personalizer.:rolleyes:

On our roll call a couple of people had posted about the change, so I went to the cruise personalizer on the Princess website, and sure enough, DR was replaced with San Juan! Never got an email or a call from TA or Princess about the change, so I guess the only way to find out is on the cruise personalizer.:rolleyes:

It must be a one time thing because the trip on Jan 29 is still going to Santo Domingo. (on both my TA's web site & Princess web site)

So nice to hear you had a great day, the mahi mahi sounds delish! Your thread is really making me anxious for our cruise the end of February, can't come soon enough.

Here's to more great weather for your, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Mary

It must be a one time thing because the trip on Jan 29 is still going to Santo Domingo. (on both my TA's web site & Princess web site)

Yes, that is the case with me as well, but if you SIGN in to the Princess website and go to Cruise Personalizer, go to the itinerary and it will show you any changes. For my sailing on the Princess website without signing into the cruise personalizer, it still shows Santo Domingo, DR. On the cruise personalizer, it shows San Juan, PR in place of Santo Domingo. Your cruise personalizer is more up to date than the generic Princess website or a TA's website because it is too costly & time consuming to make these changes. Actually, to be honest that is the second change to Jan. 26, as the actual port was La Romana, DR. This is what is listed on the cruise personalizer for my sailing....

Jan 15 2010 FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, USA DEPART 5:00PM CHECK IN 1:00PM-4:00PM

ARRIVE AFTER 2:00PM

FOR A FASTER CHECK IN

Jan 16 2010 AT SEA

Jan 17 2010 AT SEA

Jan 18 2010 ARUBA, ARUBA ARRIVE 8:00AM DEPART 5:00PM

Jan 19 2010 CURACAO, ANTILLES ARRIVE 8:00AM DEPART 5:00PM

Jan 20 2010 AT SEA

Jan 21 2010 TRINIDAD, TRINIDAD/TOBAGO ARRIVE 8:00AM DEPART 5:00PM

Jan 22 2010 BARBADOS, BARBADOS ARRIVE 8:00AM DEPART 5:00PM

Jan 23 2010 ST. VINCENT, ST. VINCENT/GRENADINES ARRIVE 8:00AM DEPART 5:00PM

Jan 24 2010 ST. KITTS, ST KITTS/NEVIS ARRIVE 8:00AM DEPART 5:00PM

Jan 25 2010 ST. THOMAS, VIRGIN ISLANDS, U.S.A. ARRIVE 7:00AM DEPART 6:00PM

Jan 26 2010 SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO ARRIVE 7:00AM DEPART 5:00PM

Jan 27 2010 GRAND TURK, CAICOS ISLANDS ARRIVE 12:00PM DEPART 6:00PM

Jan 28 2010 AT SEA

Jan 29 2010 FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, USA ARRIVE 7:00AM

NOTIFICATIONS

Following are up-to-the-minute notifications about your itinerary. Please review these notifications for any actions you may need to take.

ITINERARY CHANGE

** VOYAGE ITINERARY CHANGED **

We wish to advise you that due to operational reasons, the port call to

La Romana has been cancelled and replaced with a port call to Santo Domingo.

In addition, the port order has been reversed and timings amended. Please

review the itinerary as listed on the Travel Summary.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Grand Princess!

* The itinerary was modified on July 14, 2008 *

Hi everyone, here is a recap of our day in St. Vincent.

St. Vincent was a nice change. We had a lovely day. Being in port on a Sunday has it’s pros and cons. Pro’s - no traffic/Con’s - locals on the beach, no ferry service to Bequia, and the main town is completely closed. St. Vincent is a newer port and they have made a lot of improvements to the island. It was clean, well-maintained, and friendly. The Island is gorgeous. A lot like St. Lucia. My first choice excursion was a ferry ride to Mustique to check out Basil’s Bar. I really want a Basil’s Bar t-shirt. Too far to go. Second choice excursion was a ferry ride to Bequia, no ferry service on Sunday. We have been to the Grenadines previously with Star Clipper and Windstar. We loved all of the islands. We ended up taking a water taxi to Villa Beach ($5/pp) and hanging out close to the Beachcomber Hotel. It was a gorgeous, small, protected beach. Several sailboat/yachts anchored off shore. The sand is dark, but the water is warm, clean and clear. It reminded me of the beach at the Anse Chastenet in St. Lucia. There were too many locals on the beach. We were toward the end of the beach and some of the locals congregated near us to smoke pot all day. It got funny when the young teen cruisers went over to join them and pass the doobie around. We had hamburgers and fries on the beach. ($30). The food was just soso from the hotel. We took a regular taxi back to the ship ($7/pp) so we could see some of the island. Beautiful. I look forward to returning to St. Vincent someday. If you love white sand beaches and sailing, take the ferry to Bequia. It is a popular island for sailors. St. Vincent has lots to see - the falls of Baleine, rain forests, rocky cliffs. As we were leaving the ship for the day, some people were coming back on the ship complaining that there was nothing to do or see. I don’t understand how these people think. Yes, the town was closed, but the scenery was beautiful.

We went to the Horizon court upon returning to the ship. We always come back to the ship hungry. Redecorating day! All of the Christmas decor went in the trash, and out came the New Year's decor - new door decor, lights, banners, garland, beads, etc. We are counting down to New Year's Eve with a FULL moon. Totally cool! We enjoyed happy hour on the balcony at sail away. Double margaritas. We ate in the HC for dinner. They had my favorite spare ribs. We went to the illusionist./comedy show - Peter Gossmar. He was very good. I liked his personality. Cabin Movie - My Life in Ruins.

See you later with a Barbados report.

Hi everyone, here is a recap of our day in St. Vincent.

St. Vincent was a nice change. We had a lovely day. Being in port on a Sunday has it’s pros and cons. Pro’s - no traffic/Con’s - locals on the beach, no ferry service to Bequia, and the main town is completely closed. St. Vincent is a newer port and they have made a lot of improvements to the island. It was clean, well-maintained, and friendly. The Island is gorgeous. A lot like St. Lucia. My first choice excursion was a ferry ride to Mustique to check out Basil’s Bar. I really want a Basil’s Bar t-shirt. Too far to go. Second choice excursion was a ferry ride to Bequia, no ferry service on Sunday. We have been to the Grenadines previously with Star Clipper and Windstar. We loved all of the islands. We ended up taking a water taxi to Villa Beach ($5/pp) and hanging out close to the Beachcomber Hotel. It was a gorgeous, small, protected beach. Several sailboat/yachts anchored off shore. The sand is dark, but the water is warm, clean and clear. It reminded me of the beach at the Anse Chastenet in St. Lucia. There were too many locals on the beach. We were toward the end of the beach and some of the locals congregated near us to smoke pot all day. It got funny when the young teen cruisers went over to join them and pass the doobie around. We had hamburgers and fries on the beach. ($30). The food was just soso from the hotel. We took a regular taxi back to the ship ($7/pp) so we could see some of the island. Beautiful. I look forward to returning to St. Vincent someday. If you love white sand beaches and sailing, take the ferry to Bequia. It is a popular island for sailors. St. Vincent has lots to see - the falls of Baleine, rain forests, rocky cliffs. As we were leaving the ship for the day, some people were coming back on the ship complaining that there was nothing to do or see. I don’t understand how these people think. Yes, the town was closed, but the scenery was beautiful.

We went to the Horizon court upon returning to the ship. We always come back to the ship hungry. Redecorating day! All of the Christmas decor went in the trash, and out came the New Year's decor - new door decor, lights, banners, garland, beads, etc. We are counting down to New Year's Eve with a FULL moon. Totally cool! We enjoyed happy hour on the balcony at sail away. Double margaritas. We ate in the HC for dinner. They had my favorite spare ribs. We went to the illusionist./comedy show - Peter Gossmar. He was very good. I liked his personality. Cabin Movie - My Life in Ruins.

See you later with a Barbados report.

Some folks view a cruise as just another shopping opportunity. :rolleyes:

To each his own.

We're looking forward to Wayne's tour, arranged through our Roll Call (thank You Nancy) for Feb 12 sailing:

The baleine falls are open again so we will go there as well as seeing all of the Caribbean side of St. Vincent. We will see volcano, lava beds, maybe some whale/dolphin sitings. We will go to the set of the Pirates of the Caribbean, even though he said it isn't all still there. We will have lunch, which will be chicken or a boneless fish in creole sauce and sometimes they have bbq pork. There will be veggie rice & salad with eggplant. I am not sure if I have the sequence correct, but he said there is ample offerings if anyone is a vegetarian. Our last stop is the black sand beach and he said that is only 10 minutes from the ship, so we will decide, when we reach the beach, when we will head back to the ship. He said there is a "head" on board, and he said that there will not be a problem getting on & off the boat and he and his assistant Emma (man) are there to assist anyone with difficulties. We will meet on the pier @ 9am and he said to look for the boat with the yellow seats that says Baleine tours and has three motors/engines on the back. He said it is the best looking boat there.

Thanks for the reports. Keep 'em coming. :)

Thanks for the reply...I checked our personalizer, and 3/26 sailing is still on for DR. I'll keep an eye on it, tho.

Archived