Best Cruise Memory?

BroncosFan2010

For me, it goes back a day or two...to the inaugural season of majesty of the seas. We were embarking as Hurricane Andrew was due to hit that night.

Needless to say, they wanted that ship OUTTA there when it hit. Captain said we were doing 28 mph (or knots, cant remember...). I went to the front of the ship on the promenade that night and was shocked that something that big could go that fast and the wind it was generating...hair was a blowing.

Good times....

Must have been so fun to experience the ship going that fast!

I don’t know if we considered this our Best Cruise Memory, but funny too us. 2006 we Cruised on the Sapphire Princess. After going through the embarkation process we stopped and got our picture taken and off to find our cabin. We met our cabin steward and then we were off to explore the ship. Since we had TD we wanted to find the best route from our cabin to the MDR. Pulled out my handy dandy pocket ship map got our bearings and off we went. Yea right. We got lost!! How could this be? This wasn’t our first Cruise and those pocket ship maps are easy to read. After a few minutes of what the hell, I realized the embarkation desk gave me a ship map for the Dawn Princess, not the Sapphire Princess. Needless to say when we went to the purser’s desk and explained the mix up they all got a huge laugh out of it.

How odd that they would even have ship maps of different ships on board.

How odd that they would even have ship maps of different ships on board.

As I mentioned in my post we received the ship map at the embarkation desk and not on the ship. We assumed Princess sent some of the wrong ship maps to the embarkation center and the people behind the embarkation desk didn’t verify what they received. At the time when I went to the purser’s desk (on the ship) and from the staffs reaction I got the impression I was the first to bring it to their attention. Hard to believe we were the only Cruisers with the wrong ship map. Either that or there was a ship full of lost Cruisers.

I think the one thing I always love is getting on a ship that I haven't been on before for the first time...

I love exploring the ship and trying to find my way around what is going to be me home for the next 3-11 days....

We try to figure out where the best places for pre-dinner cocktails will be, best seating in the theater, best place for a morning coffee, how does the gym compare, best place to curl up with a good book, best place to people watch, etc..

I think the one thing I always love is getting on a ship that I haven't been on before for the first time...

I love exploring the ship and trying to find my way around what is going to be me home for the next 3-11 days....

We try to figure out where the best places for pre-dinner cocktails will be, best seating in the theater, best place for a morning coffee, how does the gym compare, best place to curl up with a good book, best place to people watch, etc..

I also love exploring the ship and discovering special places that are rarely frequented by others. They feel like my own private places to relax.

Best Cruise Memory?

Summer of 2007. Hubby and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary by renewing our vows with our children and closest friends. Went on our very first cruise on the Caribbean Princess as our second honeymoon. Hubby gave me a new engagement ring in St. Thomas. It was the trip of a lifetime and an amazing adventure! I am very lucky!:)

Best Cruise Memory?

Summer of 2007. Hubby and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary by renewing our vows with our children and closest friends. Went on our very first cruise on the Caribbean Princess as our second honeymoon. Hubby gave me a new engagement ring in St. Thomas. It was the trip of a lifetime and an amazing adventure! I am very lucky!:)

What a great way to celebrate! A little bling from the islands to help remember your cruise is always an added bonus!

My ex and I honeymooned on a Big Red Boat in 1987, when Premier was still the official cruise line of Walt Disney World. Ours was a 4-day cruise the the Bahamas followed by 3 days at Disney. On board the ship, we had our picture taken with the captain and with Mickey Mouse, I got the worst sunburn of my life snorkeling at the private island (my skin was bright red....so red, in fact, that I couldn't eat my lobster that night because it felt like cannibalism) and our travel agent sent us a bottle of champagne. but what the cabin steward did....I had a satin bathrobe, which I left hanging on a hook near the bathroom door. At night, instead of placing just one mint on the pillow, the steward would place my robe on the bed and outline the robe with mints....

• 1 month later...

I have two different special memories.

On our first cruise ever I wanted to take my DD, age 8 to swim with the dolphins as she was crazy about them but since it was a last minute cruise decision I did not think I had the added budget for both of us. On the first day of the cruise she had gone to the kids club and I went to bingo. I won $600! I left the theatre, walked over to the excursion desk and secretly bought our tickets and surprised her the next morning. I have a close up picture of her with a dolphin kissing her on the cheek and she has the biggest smile ever, and I keep it on my desk. She was so excited.

My second great memory arises out of a bad situation on our third cruise in March 2009. On the first day off the ship, during an excursion in the rain forest in St. Kitts, I fell, went down an embankment and broke my leg! I did make it back to the ship for treatment but did have to leave the ship for home. The staff on the Princess Emerald from the Doctor, Nurse, front desk staff, buffet dining room staff (who helped me manouvre the wheelchair and got meals for DD and I) and even another passenger that offered to push me to go get my DD from the kids club from one end of the ship to another were all wonderful.

We disembarked in Barbados, but the arranged flight was not until the next day. I ended up with a taxi driver, who lifted me into his cab, found me a clean, safe hotel, and literally picked me up and carried me up a flight of stairs to get me into the hotel, as I was in a thigh high cast. I had no cash to pay him that first day, so he returned the next day, took me to a clinic for an injection, and then on to the airport. He was so friendly and I felt we were very safe and looked after, since I was in a very vulnerable situation.

A bad situation but the kindness of strangers makes it memorable.

Archived