Best Cruise Memory?

BroncosFan2010

That first cruise, and everything about it. It was just us girls (4 of us) and I remember arriving at the dock and saying omg look how big that ship is. We ran morning to night, were in every activitiy the ship had. When I returned from that cruise I had lost my voice for about 3 days. It did not stop me from booking the next one however. I have been cruising ever since, except now in a more relaxed mode:D

That first cruise, and everything about it. It was just us girls (4 of us) and I remember arriving at the dock and saying omg look how big that ship is. We ran morning to night, were in every activitiy the ship had. When I returned from that cruise I had lost my voice for about 3 days. It did not stop me from booking the next one however. I have been cruising ever since, except now in a more relaxed mode:D

Great story!

We were celebrating my wife's birthday on Carnival Liberty. It was a Mediterranean cruise and I chose it because we would be overnighting in Venice on her birthday. I had booked a gondola ride and dinner at a restaurant for that evening and had asked the staff at the ship's tour desk if they could help me make the tour a bit more special since we were celebrating a birthday. Well I must tell you, they took up that challenge and treated me so special that I am still amazed! Only promising that they would do their best, they e-mailed our photos from our sign and sail cards to the operator of the gondola and the owner of the restaurant and explained that it was a birthday celebration. On the evening of that big day we gathered on the dock with the others on the tour and to my surprise two crew members who I recognized from my dealing with them at the tour desk (but my wife didn't recognize them) were going along with us. One of these two engaged my wife in conversation while the other secretly told me that everything was arranged for us. Well when we got to the gondolas, the operator took us and placed us in the gondola with the musicians (a special touch that was casually done because they had our photos) and at the restaurant of course a birthday cake arrived at our table for dessert and everyone in the restaurant sang happy birthday!

The biggest surprise for me was the next day when I visited the tour desk with the intention of giving a gratuity to those staff members who had helped me. Well, each and every one of them refused to accept anything from me saying that it had been their pleasure to help exceed my expectations!

I was going on my first cruise with my family -including my son who has multiple disabilities both physical and mental. I was very nervous since I had never been on a cruise ship, and i was not sure how he would like being on the ship. We headed up to the buffet when we got on the ship. Within minutes my son disappeared! I was starting to panic, when i see down at the other end of the deck, my son walking back with a tray of food AND a virgin Pina Colada. He was so proud of himself and said" I love this, all I had to do was sign my name!" He is now going on his 7th cruise and is just as excited as he was on his first!!

Lots of great cruise memories, but one that strangely sticks out in my mind is sitting at dinner one night and the captain announced that it was the 85th anniversary of the Titanic sinking. Throughout the dinner they played the theme music from the movie over the loadspeaker

This Oct, we were sailing between Corsica and Sardinia at night. There was a tremendous thunderstorm around 2am, so I opened the balcony door to go and watch the lightning over the hills. There was a scuffle and a "cheep", and I saw that I was sharing the balcony with a migrating fieldfare- a sort of thrush. He should have been flying from Russia to Africa, but had come to rest on our island ship. He slept there all night, and told me off whenever I opened the door.

The next day there were several drinking round the aft pool. They finally left at Cartagena, only a hop, skip and jump from Africa.- jocap.

We were celebrating my wife's birthday on Carnival Liberty. It was a Mediterranean cruise and I chose it because we would be overnighting in Venice on her birthday. I had booked a gondola ride and dinner at a restaurant for that evening and had asked the staff at the ship's tour desk if they could help me make the tour a bit more special since we were celebrating a birthday. Well I must tell you, they took up that challenge and treated me so special that I am still amazed! Only promising that they would do their best, they e-mailed our photos from our sign and sail cards to the operator of the gondola and the owner of the restaurant and explained that it was a birthday celebration. On the evening of that big day we gathered on the dock with the others on the tour and to my surprise two crew members who I recognized from my dealing with them at the tour desk (but my wife didn't recognize them) were going along with us. One of these two engaged my wife in conversation while the other secretly told me that everything was arranged for us. Well when we got to the gondolas, the operator took us and placed us in the gondola with the musicians (a special touch that was casually done because they had our photos) and at the restaurant of course a birthday cake arrived at our table for dessert and everyone in the restaurant sang happy birthday!

The biggest surprise for me was the next day when I visited the tour desk with the intention of giving a gratuity to those staff members who had helped me. Well, each and every one of them refused to accept anything from me saying that it had been their pleasure to help exceed my expectations!

How very special!

Lots of great cruise memories, but one that strangely sticks out in my mind is sitting at dinner one night and the captain announced that it was the 85th anniversary of the Titanic sinking. Throughout the dinner they played the theme music from the movie over the loadspeaker

I hope you are kidding! :eek::eek:

DH and I went on our first cruise ( a gift from my dad who decided we needed a vacation w/o children- gave us seed money to pay for most of it) Last march.

we renewed our vows on board the sapphire princess and it was wonderful we've been married almost 22 years ( in march) and we are going on the same one this year, but bringing the 4 kids with us (3 are graduating)

It was a really wonderful and romantic trip for us

DH and I went on our first cruise ( a gift from my dad who decided we needed a vacation w/o children- gave us seed money to pay for most of it) Last march.

we renewed our vows on board the sapphire princess and it was wonderful we've been married almost 22 years ( in march) and we are going on the same one this year, but bringing the 4 kids with us (3 are graduating)

It was a really wonderful and romantic trip for us

What a lovely gift!

My favorite cruise memory was in 1997 on the Celebrity Century. It was Dave Graham's first week as a cruise director and he made the cruise special. He did some things I haven't seen on other cruises. He had a game where each group of women had to go find a man, then they had to take the man and dress him up as a woman. Finally all of the "women" competed for the title of Ms. Celebrity 1997! My sister and I played in that and had a blast.

Dave also got a group of women to be the Celebrity Rockettes and created a routine for us to do in the talent show. That was also a so fun.

I don't get to be a "star" in my daily life, so it was fun for that week.

After 12 years and many cruises, he's still my favorite CD.

Memorable indeed - what a nice way to celebrate her birthday ! my most memorable cruise was our first one - 1988, on the Sovereign of the Seas, then the biggest ship in the fleet - or the world at that time! Even tho' we were on the 2nd deck, OV, we were so excited! we couldn't believe we were finally on a cruise! since then we have cruised every yr, twice a yr sometimes when time/$$ permitted - we now do 9th or 10th decks/balconies - but that first cruise will always be special cuz of the experience that we never had before then. carol

Memorable indeed - what a nice way to celebrate her birthday ! my most memorable cruise was our first one - 1988, on the Sovereign of the Seas, then the biggest ship in the fleet - or the world at that time! Even tho' we were on the 2nd deck, OV, we were so excited! we couldn't believe we were finally on a cruise! since then we have cruised every yr, twice a yr sometimes when time/$$ permitted - we now do 9th or 10th decks/balconies - but that first cruise will always be special cuz of the experience that we never had before then. carol

You are so very right about the "first cruise" memory being a good one and I am lucky to say that I can fondly look back at two very different "firsts".

My very first cruise was in 1959 (I was just a kid) but in those days in the port of Miami you could see a ship (P&O's SS Florida) with a big banner on her side that said Nassau cruises $59. Well my mom & dad made the arrangements and we had two cabins. My folks were in one and my brother and I shared the other (a really big thrill for a couple of kids) well the cabin was no more than a porthole and bunk beds (even we kids had to take turns getting dressed..one got dressed while the other stayed in his bunk) and all the facilities (showers and toilets) were either down the passageway or down a companionway (the men's facilities were on one deck and the women's on another).

Well this was my memory of a cruise, so many years later (1995) when my wife came home with a xerox flyer about a cruise on Costa Classica out of San Juan offering reasonable prices for inside and ocean view cabins my memory brought back an image of my childhood experience with the porthole and bunkbeds. That, in my mind, would not do for my wife and me so we called the number on the flyer and asked if they had larger cabins and of course they were more than happy to sell us a suite. We of course were absolutely impressed with our accomodations. Only the ten suites on that ship had balconies so a standard was set for us on that first cruise together. (We had to have a balcony!) We also had an opportunity to do our own version of a cabin crawl with our table mates wherein I discovered that my memory of an oceanview cabin had no relevance with today's oceanviews. So when the cruise lines introduced balcony cabins on a more extensive scale we have been very pleased with them on all of our other cruises but that memory of the "suite life" lingers.

You are so very right about the "first cruise" memory being a good one and I am lucky to say that I can fondly look back at two very different "firsts".

My very first cruise was in 1959 (I was just a kid) but in those days in the port of Miami you could see a ship (P&O's SS Florida) with a big banner on her side that said Nassau cruises $59. Well my mom & dad made the arrangements and we had two cabins. My folks were in one and my brother and I shared the other (a really big thrill for a couple of kids) well the cabin was no more than a porthole and bunk beds (even we kids had to take turns getting dressed..one got dressed while the other stayed in his bunk) and all the facilities (showers and toilets) were either down the passageway or down a companionway (the men's facilities were on one deck and the women's on another).

Well this was my memory of a cruise, so many years later (1995) when my wife came home with a xerox flyer about a cruise on Costa Classica out of San Juan offering reasonable prices for inside and ocean view cabins my memory brought back an image of my childhood experience with the porthole and bunkbeds. That, in my mind, would not do for my wife and me so we called the number on the flyer and asked if they had larger cabins and of course they were more than happy to sell us a suite. We of course were absolutely impressed with our accomodations. Only the ten suites on that ship had balconies so a standard was set for us on that first cruise together. (We had to have a balcony!) We also had an opportunity to do our own version of a cabin crawl with our table mates wherein I discovered that my memory of an oceanview cabin had no relevance with today's oceanviews. So when the cruise lines introduced balcony cabins on a more extensive scale we have been very pleased with them on all of our other cruises but that memory of the "suite life" lingers.

I went on a cruise w/ my Mom in 1957 - US Pres. Wilson -- and yes, we had bunk beds and the facilities were down the hall - I was a very young child- it was fun - a couple of yrs ago, I found a postcard being sold on Ebay with the pic of this ship - $5-- I bought it. Hubby started laffing cuz I have zillions of postcards that I have bought during our various cruises on different ships - sez, in 50 yrs I can sell all my postcards for $5 each and I'll make a mint!ha! ha! so that '57 cruise was actually my first! however, with hubby - my true life - i'll stick with the 1988 Sovereign experience.! Carol

I don’t know if we considered this our Best Cruise Memory, but funny too us. 2006 we Cruised on the Sapphire Princess. After going through the embarkation process we stopped and got our picture taken and off to find our cabin. We met our cabin steward and then we were off to explore the ship. Since we had TD we wanted to find the best route from our cabin to the MDR. Pulled out my handy dandy pocket ship map got our bearings and off we went. Yea right. We got lost!! How could this be? This wasn’t our first Cruise and those pocket ship maps are easy to read. After a few minutes of what the hell, I realized the embarkation desk gave me a ship map for the Dawn Princess, not the Sapphire Princess. Needless to say when we went to the purser’s desk and explained the mix up they all got a huge laugh out of it.

For me, it goes back a day or two...to the inaugural season of majesty of the seas. We were embarking as Hurricane Andrew was due to hit that night.

Needless to say, they wanted that ship OUTTA there when it hit. Captain said we were doing 28 mph (or knots, cant remember...). I went to the front of the ship on the promenade that night and was shocked that something that big could go that fast and the wind it was generating...hair was a blowing.

Good times....

On the first cruise we took with our children, our oldest daughter was a very hormonal 15 and would have rather stayed home with her friends. When we got to Mexico and walked off the ship and a few yards down the dock, she sat down and stared at the water with tearful eyes and told us how glad she was to be there. She sat there for at least 5 minutes just amazed at how beautiful the water was.

Now she's married and our youngest is 16, I wouldn't trade those cruises w/all 5 of our kids for anything.

Archived