Room Stewards?

newlife_2010

they make up the cabin in the morning, and they do turn down in the evening, empty the waste baskets (hopefully daily) replace towels and klenex and toilet paper as used, clean the bathroom, get ice for you, usually in a ice bucket, sometimes once sometimes twice a day, if you need something special, like we asked for handicapped shower chair, or if you need a crib, thats who gets it, need more hangers, its your cabin steward (and his team)

They clean the room, restock any supplies as needed, empty the trash, refill the ice bucket, take any laundry that you would pay to have washed, etc... This is before noon each day.

Then at night, while you're at dinner (they will ask what seating you have), they will turn down the beds and make you towel animals. They will also set out your capers for the next day and any other information (i.e. disembarkation info).

Before you board, they will have turned the room over, reconfigured the beds to what you need (i.e. if you have 3 people, they'll make up the couch) and put the luggage mat out on a bed. After you unpack, you can just put the mat underneath one of the beds.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does the Room Steward do?

Room stewards clean the room and attend to any needs you have, like getting you glasses, ice, etc. Unlike hotel maids, they clean the room several times a day. The last time I was on Carnival, our room steward was quick to learn our names and was constantly stopping us in the hall, saying hello, asking if we were having a good day, and asking if there was anything he could do to help us out. We were most impressed.

A good room steward makes a cruise very enjoyable.

And in spite of what others may say, they react very favorably to receiving tips. But that's another thread that's been beaten to death.....

The room steward is the guy/gal who pampers you in every way that's possible, when it comes to your cabin. He/she makes your bed three or four times a day, cleans your carpet, and bathroom/shower. Keeps your sheets clean, and replenishes all your towels. Creates and builds all your towel animals, puts the chocolate on your pillow, keeps your fridge full of drinks, and your ice bucket full of ice, and in general does anything you ask, or need that has anything to do with your cabin. If you have a problem with your T.V., you tell him/her and they go out of their way to get it fixed. Do they earn their money? YOU BET THEY DO!

"SKY"

We joked that our room steward waited for us to leave and came in like Mission Impossible. We might leave for 20 minutes, come back to grab something and the room would be straightened up again.

I forgot to mention earlier that they will also take the drinks out of the fridge so that you can put your own things in and aren't responsible for the mini bar. Before they unlock the fridge, they will come around, introuduce themselves and ask if you want the minibar or not. Usually the first afternoon after you board the ship.

They are without doubt the hardest working staff that you will come across onboard. I sometimes wonder if they ever actually sleep. I have had some wonderfull stewards and only one that was not really the best. But even he still managed to keep my room in order. The best I had I never even laid eyes on the entire week. He was like a ghost, my room was kept spotless and picked up all hours of the day and night, ice bucket always full of fresh ice. But like I said I never once saw him come or go. I had to leave an envelope for him with the purser because I could not find him to give to personally.

Is there a reason that they do so much more than say, a hotel steward? I travel quite abit and never been on a cruise but it mystifies me how high people think of cabin stewards. They must really be that different, I guess?!

This cruise business defies the lifestyle that we currently live. Maybe and hopefully it will be an eye opener!:)

Is there a reason that they do so much more than say, a hotel steward? I travel quite abit and never been on a cruise but it mystifies me how high people think of cabin stewards. They must really be that different, I guess?!

This cruise business defies the lifestyle that we currently live. Maybe and hopefully it will be an eye opener!:)

hotel cleaning peoople if you are lucky make it into your room once a day to clean. I was in a hotel over a holiday and didnt get them until close to 5 pm, they were short handed. they dont get you ice and special things at a hotel, you get it yourself.

The reason they do much more is because that is what their job description calls for. It often appears to me that they're on duty 24 hours a day ... whenever we leave our room and come back, even if it's just 20 minutes later, things have been tidied up, refreshed, used linen has been replaced..and then the turn-down at night happens. If we take an afternoon nap and mess up the bed, it's tidied when we leave the cabin.

The hotel "stewards" show up once a day...maybe..and clean. If you use linens or need something extra (pillows? blanket? more towels?) you have to call the front desk and maybe someone will come with it..otherwise you have to go fetch it yourself. If you use linens or the bed during the day, it's left the way you left it, only to be tidied up the next day.

Like someone else said on this thread, on one cruise we never saw our steward -- but our room was always immaculate, so obviously he (she?) was around, observant of our comings and goings, and did his job.

So yes, they really are "that different"!

After you go on a cruise you will know what we are all talking about.

I also agree they are some of the hardest working ppl on the whole ship. And to be able to put up with slobs like us and never be in our way.

I am not a slob but have walked past rooms with doors open of real slobs. We do try to kep our stuff tidy why make them work harder than they have too? My mama did not raise a pig and I am trying not to raise them myself.

Once or twice on different cruises I forgot things in the room or what have you and have come back as they are cleaning. My steward kept apoligizing like he was doing something wronf being seen. I was the one in his way keeping him from doing his job.

They are wonderful, hard working ppl. I wish I could pack one in my suitcase to take home with me.

On a bit of a off note. Your first cruise we had a great steward but we did not see him much he saw the gentleman under him often and he loved to greet us when we saw him. He was truely a great guy. 2 years later on the same ship there was a knock at the door and it was the same asst steward that we had on our first cruise but now he was the main steward. It was great to see he had been promoted. He asked us if we had sailed before I had even put it together that we had meet before.

In addition to all the above - and more.....that steward is the one who will assure that you and your guest have the best cruise of all.

They are the hardest working folks on the ship..probably. Their only job is the comfort of your cabin and yourselves.

please excuse my ignorance, but what does the room steward do?

i cant believe your question-----who do you think cleans your cabin--makes your bed---cleans your toilet----the little faries??? Get with it-----or stay home

i cant believe your question-----who do you think cleans your cabin--makes your bed---cleans your toilet----the little faries??? Get with it-----or stay home

I can not believe you!!! LOL

I wonder if that was Irene or John? :eek:

Archived