Does checked luggage have to be left unlocked during US internal flights?

kernow

We normally lock our checked luggage with padlocks but I believe US security can now routinely open bags. Does this mean we should leave our suitcases unlocked? I'm a bit worried about doing this as we have a transatlantic flight first connecting to a domestic flight. Does anything ever go missing?

I'm sure I read somewhere on these boards that you can buy combination padlocks that security can open. Does anyone know about these or did I just imagine it?

Thanks, Julie

Lock them.

...and they may get cut off. Every TSA agent has asked me, when giving my bags to them, if they were unlocked. I have seen people with locked bags that were told to remove the locks before they were turned over to TSA for screening.

The European airports are not regulated by the TSA and do not have the same regulations that US airports have regarding locking your bags, nor do they have the keys for the TSA approved locks. Also, I have read that sometimes even the TSA approved locks are cut off instead of using the master key (either because the key was not readily available or it took too much time to get it!) Cable ties will hold the zippers together and prevent accidental opening of the bag. Many people use these.

Do you have to claim your luggage and go thru customs when you arrive at your first US airport? If so, lock your luggage for the transatlantic portion and use cable ties after you go through customs before the next leg of your flight.

If your bags are checked through directly from the transatlantic to the domestic flight use cable ties through the zipper pulls on your checked luggage for the whole trip. Be sure to pack your valuables in your carry on no matter which way you secure your bags.

I have heard of very few instances where passengers have complained of pilferage. We have only had 1 bag opened for inspection and the contents did not look like they had been disturbed at all. The TSA will put a note inside your bag telling you it was inspected if they open it.

Here is a link to the TSA web site that has some very helpful information.

TSA | Transportation Security Administration | A MUST read for anyone travelin

Enjoy your cruise! :D

If you want your luggage ruined by the security guys when they cut off your metal locks, then go ahead and lock them. But, the best way is to use those plastic cable ties that secure your bags, but let the security people easily cut them without breaking your zipper. Also, don't put anything of value in your bags. These people aren't looking to steal your underwear or black slacks, what they are looking for are the bozos who put cameras, jewelry, electronics and money in their checked bags.

I've read to use cable locks. However, if one can't carry knives, scissors, nail clippers or anything else to cut these locks with, how can they be opened when the destination is reached - and all the necessary equipment to remove them is in the bags that were checked - and locked?

Magellans has locks that security is supposedly able to unlock using special tools. If they cut them off anyway, Magellans will replace them free of charge. Does airport security keep cutters handy to cut the locks off, but not the little tools to open them? Seems only a very vindictive agent would reach for the cutters vs the key/tool.

My suitcases get checked "randomly" quite often (I'm the most random person alive, apparently!), and they always put a card in them telling me they were checked. I'm going to give the locks a try on my March cruise. It can be a test to see if there's a card in the suitcase, and whether they unlock the locks or cut them off. :D

we have samsonite combination suitcases. What do you do with these ? I have looked to see where a cable tie can be used to satisfactorily secure my personal belongings and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to link it through. any ideas other than purchase new suitcases !!!

My guess is - you leave them unlocked or take a chance that the lock will be broken. My Samsonite is key locked. I had always locked them, until one time I forgot, so locked them at the check-in. The agent didn't say a word, but the woman behind me in line said "YOU CAN'T LOCK THOSE! It isn't ALLOWED!" Okay, lady. No coronaries here, please. I'll leave them unlocked if you will take a deep breath and relax.

There are also suitcase straps you can semi-secure them with. We use those on the Samsonites, just so they won't pop open.

I have both soft-sidded luggage and hard-sidded luggage. For the soft sidded I use TSA approved combination locks. For the hard luggage I purchased straps that have TSA approved combination lock on the strap. This will be the first time I will be traveling with the new straps, but they look secure to me. I purchased them on-line through Tamperseal.com

I did have a lock cut from my luggage on a trip to London/Paris earlier in the year. This was NOT a TSA approved lock, however.

I have traveled with all bags unlocked, but feel better now with the new locks. Also, I have had my luggage searched (last cruise).

We use cable ties , I try to get brightly colored ones, and put a ziplock baggie of extra ties in an out side zipper compartment of my luggage. I then fasten a small (but strong nail clipper "that does not have a file attached "with a elastic band (hair ponytail holders work good) to the zipper pull of my outside luggage compartment so it won't get lost in transit, you can just tuck it into the zipper compartment with the elastic band attached. It works good for us.

Our luggage has been inspected before and the cable locks replaced by theirs after inspection, and have had our luggage inspected before and the cable ties not replaced. I think it depends on the airport facility you are at.

This being said, before I give my luggage to the handlers at the port prior to boarding the ship I put on my combination locks and on disembarking I do the same when we put out our luggage the night before in the hallway. Then switch to the cable ties quickly before the airport check in.

I know sounds like a big fuss , but really it isn't and seems to work fine.

Have a great trip.

Cori

Archived