Vidalia tart and Chorizo dip recipe change!

dolfandude

So, we returned last Saturday from a 5 nighter aboard the Navigator and we disappointed to find that RCL has changed the receipes for these two favorites. :mad:

The Vidalia Onion tart was much more "eggy" (if I can take literary license!) than what we had last January and the year before. And no onion pieces. This was agreed by all four of us!

The Chorizo chili dip was.......... just bland chili! Really! No chorizo sausage! We purposely planned coming back to the cabin one afternoon just so we could order this!! :eek: And we hugely disappointed!

What's up with 'dat? But........... it didn't RUIN our cruise!! :D

Steve

So, we returned last Saturday from a 5 nighter aboard the Navigator and we disappointed to find that RCL has changed the receipes for these two favorites. :mad:

The Vidalia Onion tart was much more "eggy" (if I can take literary license!) than what we had last January and the year before. And no onion pieces. This was agreed by all four of us!

The Chorizo chili dip was.......... just bland chili! Really! No chorizo sausage! We purposely planned coming back to the cabin one afternoon just so we could order this!! :eek: And we hugely disappointed!

Steve

That is so interesting. I had the onion tart for the first time last week on Majesty because everyone on here had raved about it. I felt it was like a quiche. It was quite good--and did have onions--but I guess I didn't know what to expect. What was it like before?

The Vidalia Onion Tart is one of my favorites; just had it on the Oasis the week before last and it was very good. Its not that they changed the recipe it’s the Chef! Overall the dining room food was just ok, the only thing consistent from ship to ship is the menu :rolleyes:

Ron :)

Sadly, I'm not surprised about the lack of chorizo. It's not super cheap so it's another way to cut back. I remember a carving station on a cruise (I think it was the Norway) had venison...every day something else gets a little cheaper.

(Not that I'm blaming RCCL...many restaurants did the same thing last year. Just a sad fact of the economy.)

The Vidalia Onion tart was much more "eggy" (if I can take literary license!) than what we had last January and the year before. And no onion pieces. This was agreed by all four of us

Funny I noticed that a few cruises back...basically two bites and sent it back as no good. Have not ordered it since. It was among my favorites from first cruise on. Oh well, cutting back on number of starters etc...I eat is probably better for my health anyhow.

The Chorizo chili dip has never tasted like it had Chorizo in it and I tired about three years ago. Has always tasted like chili only.

Oh it definitely had chorizo sausage in it last January. I know chorizo! It was outstanding. Now it's just out! Yuck! And I ordered two thinking it wouldn't be enough for four! One went completely untouched!

Steve

I was just on the Radiance and my GF raved about it

There are different kinds of chorizo

Spanish Chorizo is a chopped or chunky style chorizo and the finely minced Mexican chorizo which is probably what they use now so you dont see any chunks

There are a couple other types also but those are the most common

I had the vidalia tart in July on our first RCI cruise and I thought it was one of the better items on the menu the entire 5 days. We'll be doing a 9 day in March and I'll order it again. It is like a quiche, but I thought it was very good.

And Chorizo is more about the flavor than the texture as it is so finely ground that unless you have a whole sausage or sliced pieces, you won't necessarily notice it.

Funny I noticed that a few cruises back...basically two bites and sent it back as no good. Have not ordered it since. It was among my favorites from first cruise on. Oh well, cutting back on number of starters etc...I eat is probably better for my health anyhow.

When we had the vidalia onion tart in January, I didn't think it was as good as previous cruises but I just figured that I was remembering it better than it really was!!!

I was just on the Radiance and my GF raved about it

There are different kinds of chorizo

Spanish Chorizo is a chopped or chunky style chorizo and the finely minced Mexican chorizo which is probably what they use now so you dont see any chunks

There are a couple other types also but those are the most common

I'm fully aware of this but.......it didn't have chorizo in it! No smokey flavor. No bite like the times before! Definitely a change in receipe. I even washed a spoonful to see the meat!! Trust me...... none! :eek: (Yes, I really did that!!!:D)

I had the vidalia tart in July on our first RCI cruise and I thought it was one of the better items on the menu the entire 5 days. We'll be doing a 9 day in March and I'll order it again. It is like a quiche, but I thought it was very good.

And Chorizo is more about the flavor than the texture as it is so finely ground that unless you have a whole sausage or sliced pieces, you won't necessarily notice it.

Yes, I realize it's "like" a quiche but what I'm saying is that it's totally different than what we had in Jan 09 and Dec 07! The receipe is different. It wasn't as puffy and had a tighter texture with visible onion pieces.

Chorizo is ok but it does not have as much flavor as Portuguese chourico or linguica, we have a very large Portuguese community here in our area and chourico is in everything. When Papa Ginos & Pizza Hut chains first came to the area many years ago they had to include it as a pizza topping. Amarals is one of the biggest makers of the sausage around here and they sell a ton of it online shipping all over the country, just goggle the name, try it you will like it!

Chorizo is ok but it does not have as much flavor as Portuguese chourico or linguica, we have a very large Portuguese community here in our area and chourico is in everything. When Papa Ginos & Pizza Hut chains first came to the area many years ago they had to include it as a pizza topping. Amarals is one of the biggest makers of the sausage around here and they sell a ton of it online shipping all over the country, just goggle the name, try it you will like it!

Now your talking my Language As a part PORT

I LOVE my Linguica And we have an Amarals here too So I just drive on by and pick it up Great with eggs for breakfast as that is what im making this morning

Oh it definitely had chorizo sausage in it last January. I know chorizo! It was outstanding. Now it's just out! Yuck! And I ordered two thinking it wouldn't be enough for four! One went completely untouched!

You should have just sent it back with a request for copious amounts of chorizo in it. They may have adjusted it due to older people complaining about too much chorizo in it...and chorizo is not expensive, one of the cheapest sausages you can get here in San Antonio, the capital of mexican quisine in the U.S.! And I'll fight ya to prove it!:D People would really be surprised at what the kitchen will do for you....if you only ask:cool:

Now your talking my Language As a part PORT

I LOVE my Linguica And we have an Amarals here too So I just drive on by and pick it up Great with eggs for breakfast as that is what im making this morning

Oh……yes chourico & eggs…. my mouth is watering right now. DW is Portuguese and she got me hooked on Portuguese food.

Ron :);)

Archived