Is it safe to do Rio de janeiro on your own?

AmoMondo

We will be docked in Rio de Janeiro for 9 hours. I want to go up Sugar Loaf Mountain. Does anyone know if it is safe to do this on your own and if so how (HOHO bus/taxi/bus?)

What else wouyld you recommend as a must see/do in Rio?

All suggestions gratefully received

We will be docked in Rio de Janeiro for 9 hours. I want to go up Sugar Loaf Mountain. Does anyone know if it is safe to do this on your own and if so how (HOHO bus/taxi/bus?)

What else wouyld you recommend as a must see/do in Rio?

All suggestions gratefully received

I would not recommend doing Rio on your own. There is a lot to see but even if you speak Portuguese it is safest for you to stay in a group and have a guide that speaks the language. Go to Cocovado as well as Sugar Loaf. There should be a tour or two that takes you to those two major sites as well as the shops, Copacabana and Ipanema.

Enjoy your trip.

Happy Holidays.

My sister in law was in Rio on a cruise and said she was told to travel in a group. She heard several stories of passengers being pick pocketed and having a purse stolen at a restaurant.

While crimes can happen at any major city, Rio seems to have a special reputation for this. For me, I probably would stay on a ships tour in Rio.

If you have only 9 hours to stay in Rio, you should go on a shore excursion in my opinion. You will be safer and will see much more nice things you could see if you were alone. I live in Rio and I've never been pick pocketed or have my bag stolen in any restaurant. Of course if you are a tourist, you have to be more carefull than me. But enjoy Rio and of course, avoid the favelas... after all, what do you want to see in a favela if you can see Corcovado, Sugar Loaf, Copacabana, Ipanema? :-)

There is lots of discussion of the issue of safety in Rio at the Rio forum of ww,tripadvisor.com. Anyone coming to Rio owes it to herself to check out the discussions there to learn some points of view of people infinitely better informed than someone who has passed through the city on one or two occasions. There is also a thread here denominated "Rio for a first timer" that contains lots of discussion about the issues.

I have lived in Rio for most of the past 7 years. In my opinion, which I respectfully submit is better informed than most, there is no need to hire a tour guide if all you want to do is ascend Corcovado and Sugar Loaf. Simply take a cab from the port to the entry point of either (R$ 20-25) and pay the approx R$ 45 fee to take the cogwheel train ( Corcovado) or the skycar (Sugarloaf). There is not a lot that a guide can do or say that will add to the experience. If you are over 65 , bring ID and you may be entitled to s 30% discount.

I would suggest you time the trips to be on Sugarloaf at sunset (around 8 pm in the summer months). There is a restaurant/bar called Zozo at the foot of Sugarloaf that serves a good rodizio and has a lovely ambiance with live music on the upper floor in the evening. For the physically fit you can hike up the first level of the mountain. It will take about 50 minutes and is moderately hard. Take the main path in Urca park until you come to the trail up the hill - it is clearly marked.

I would suggest you not ascend Corcovado if it is a cloudy day. You won't see much of anything. As the lines can be quite long - an hour wait is not unusual -it may be advisable to hire a cab to take you up especially if you are a group of 4. A 3 hour tour can be negotiated for about R$ 150. You may need to take a R$12 bus up the last mile. Cabs have been barred from the summit. The cabbie will wait for you -especially if you pay at the end of the tour which is advisable.

Guides can be an effective aid to see other things in Rio, eg, Lapa at night, Barra de Tijuca beaches of Prainha, Recreio, downtown sights like Santa Theresa and certain churches, the Nordestino fair aka Sao Cristavo and other places. You really don't need a guide to accompany you Corcovado or Sugarloaf.

As for safety, all I can say is that the reports of crime in Rio have been exaggerated and sensationized. Street smarts will reduce the chances of a negative incident to the same as in Madrid, Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Prague and just about any other makor metropolis.

We are arriving in Rio 3 days before boarding our cruise and will be staying in a Copacabana hotel. I appreciate the information from Owl61. We've learned from previous travels that if you appear confident and act as if you belong there you are less a target for the pickpockets, etc. Don't behave or look like the "Ugly American". Although becoming fluent in Portuguese is not a possibility, I will learn a few key words and phrases. Do many Brazilians speak any English?

One thing I can't find in tourist books is how isolated the port is from any tourist sites. Is there anything to see within walking distance from the port, and is it a safe area to walk in? We don't like to do the "cattle car" tours that the ships offer in most ports. We'd much rather use local transportation or walk whenever possible. Our ship will remain in port in Rio for a day after we board.

Any advice for "must see" sights, after we've visited Corcovado, Sugar Loaf, and the beaches?

here is what the US State Department says about Brazil

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1072.html

I find that they are accurate although a little on the over kill side(for examples of other countries not be overkill look at Egypt and then Italy)....

The problem of course for a tourist is to know which areas to stay away from and I am from Brooklyn and in the Movie Casbalanca Ric warns the gestapo major that there are certain places in Brooklyn that he shouldn't go alone and that was 1941!

I have been places where the warnings are just as bad(South Africa and Columbia-sometimes with and sometimes without a guide). Since there is such a problem-whether its sensationalized or not, a guide will give you much peace of mind- should it be necessary- no but that is unfortunately the way it is.

Thanks all

smeyer418, I know what you mean about the US State dept advice, the Foreign & commonwealth Office (the British equivalent are the same). Guess they have to play it safe and stress all the potential dangers. I've travelled alone in various parts of the world and manged to keep myself safe by only taking calculated risks based on a lot of research. I'm not a huge fan of organised trips/tours but do recognise that sometimes they are the better option.

Owl61 - many thanks for your very detailed response. Unfortunately my ship leaves by 6pm, so can't do the sunset meal you suggested although it does sound wonderful. I'll certainly have a look at trip advisor before reaching a decision. In peru, I was warned off by friends who live in Lima and the UK government of picking up cabs on the street by myels (there had been a number of toursit hostage situations). In your opinion, is there a similar potential risk in pickung up a taxi in the port in Rio (especially as I will be on my own) or are only licensed taxis allowed in the port area? Thanks

Thanks all

smeyer418, I know what you mean about the US State dept advice, the Foreign & commonwealth Office (the British equivalent are the same). Guess they have to play it safe and stress all the potential dangers. I've travelled alone in various parts of the world and manged to keep myself safe by only taking calculated risks based on a lot of research. I'm not a huge fan of organised trips/tours but do recognise that sometimes they are the better option.

...s

I hate the ships tours in general. Too many people going the same places. I tend to hire my own guide with a car/van. Then I go where I want-and tend to see much more this way- other places I just rent a car and drive myself. I did that in South Africa and people kept asking me if I had been mugged yet(no never I do my research and not go where I shouldn't-not yet anyway).

I have seen muggings-in Bermuda a very safe place. It can happen anywhere.

I find that with two its not much more than just cabbing around in many places.

Do many Brazilians speak any English?

One thing I can't find in tourist books is how isolated the port is from any tourist sites. Is there anything transportation to see within walking distance from the port, and is it a safe area to walk in?

Any advice for "must see" sights, after we've visited Corcovado, Sugar Loaf, and the beaches?

A lot of educated Brasilians speak English as do those in the tourist industry, but I would anticipate the need to get through to waiters, taxi drivers, shop workers, etc who most often do not.

The port is in Praza Maua, not a nice barrio although near downtown. There is a project underway to improve the port area (sort of like Puerto Madero in Bs As) but it is in its infancy. Be prepared to catch one of the many cabs parked or passing by or better yet, look for the Stern's or Amsterdam Sauer rep near their respective jewelry shops in the terminal. Usually when a ship ports they will provide free transportation to their flagship stores in Ipanema.

All cabs in Rio are licensed and the license must be displayed in the cab although the driver may not be the face on the license. In my experience most are honest and compare favorably even to cabs in US cities. There are always a few bad apples who may try to overcharge either by taking a circuitous route, quoting an inflated fixed rate (the meter must be used) or using meter setting #2 which is slightly more expensive than #1 (#2 starts at 9 pm and on all day on Sundays and holidays). Even if they do cheat its only for a few bucks.

As far as sights one that I like to recommend is the Nordestino fair on the road to the airport. It is aka Sao Cristavo fair or Paraiba fair. It contains food, crafts and entertainment typical of the northeast region of Brasil. It's very interesting, easy to get to, cheap to enter, and fun. The barrio of Santa Theresa is a bohemian neighborhood best seen via cab, but see the Selaron steps near the entrance to this area - a unique work of art.

Some might like to stroll through the botanical gargen or tijuca forest - the largest urban forest/park in the world. Lapa music clubs at night are becoming VERY popular. See the listings at www.lanalapa.com.br if you can negotiate through some Portugues.If Ciudad do Samba is presenting s show ( usually Thurs nights) I strongly recommend it - twice as good as Plataforma Uno which is an old tourist icon ( not recommended),

Check out www.ipanema.com for lots of info and listings.

Here's a link to a fairly recent report on crime in Rio. Many studies show Rio is worse than New York City, Paris or Rome, especially rates of violent crime. They even hired Rudy Giuliani for help.

Brazil 2009 Crime and Safety Report: Rio de Janeiro

Crime & Safety

Americas - Brazil

21 Aug 2009

The criminal threat for Rio de Janeiro is rated by the U.S. Department of State as critical. The Brazilian police and the Brazilian press report that crime continues to increase. Violent crimes such as murder, rape, kidnapping, carjacking, armed assault, and burglary are a normal part of everyday life. The U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro has received a number of reports of Americans being drugged in bars and nightclubs by criminals with a substance commonly referred as "goodnight Cinderella" drugs, and subsequently being robbed....

Public transportation, hotel sectors, and tourist areas have some of the highest crime rates, though the Regional Security Office (RSO) receives incident reports from all areas and at all times. A large number of criminals use lethal weapons in the course of carrying out their criminal activities.

https://www.osac.gov/Reports/report.cfm?contentID=106705

contrary to popular belief, Rudy had very little to do with the crime reduction in NYC. The safe streets program that cracked down on petty crime started under Mayor Dinkins before him and the Police Commissioner that he pushed out of town(Bratton) because he got better press than the mayor.

Rudy was a poor prosecutor. The major arrests he made on wall street were mostly acquitted.

But for 9-11 where his leadership style worked very well, he was not a good mayor. He was at his best post 9-11 but the reduction in crime continued after he left- with generally better race relations than he ever had.

My comment was not so much about Rudy or his accomplishments, but just the fact that Rio feels the need to hire anyone to oversee security and the crime problems.

Its all for show. Rio has a real problem which I hope they fix for the Olympics but you can't really use a foreigner to solve local problems. In the end the people have to want them fixed or they won't be....but that won't stop Rudy from taking the credit earned or not.

Thanks all

In your opinion, is there a similar potential risk in pickung up a taxi in the port in Rio (especially as I will be on my own) or are only licensed taxis allowed in the port area?

Advise I recall while living in Rio for a few months last year was to choose cabs without blacked out windows and have the drivers use their meters. Choose a cab rather than take one from a driver who is pushy in front of a club (or perhaps ship) particularly at night. This may be overly cautious. I never had any problems though I didn't always heed this advise :rolleyes: and even walked home from Lapa through Gloria to Catete a number of times around 3am. :eek:

You can often hear stories of someone who had a problem but rarely from someone who had a problem themselves. "Someone on our very ship..." may be like saying someone in my town of 2,600 (size of the Star Princess which was in Rio last month or 3,750 if you include the crew).

Boa Viagem Segura (Good Safe Voyage),

Jay

Thanks jay, that is very helpful and good advice. there is no point in taking unnecessary risks but there is also no point in being scared off by stories of "somebody got mugged stories...". I know on the european ports, there are so many threads about the terrible dnagers of pickpockets and gypsies in barcelona and many Italian cities but I have honestly never had a single problem in more than 30 years of travelling there. I make a point of not making myself look like an easy target, do my research and are sensible but not paranoid.

Thanks again for your input

Thanks everyone. I'm getting a great collection of info to sort through. half the fun of going on a cruise to a new country, for me, is researching all the prots before hand.

So thanks again. I'm getting loads of options to mull over. wish we were going to be there longer.

Archived