Eurodam - VT - and Retreat questions

kent4489

Ugh! Just when I was feeling OK if we were to get a VT, someone has to mention breakfast on the verandah. :D That's something we do at least once each cruise. Well, guess we can have it delivered and then take it up a deck and eat with the birds. ;)

Is there somewhere I can see photos of this deck above the Crows Nest?

Since this is the highest area, I have found it to be very windy at times. Plenty of room to sunbathe but not my favorite location for that reasson. Also you must take narrow steep stairs to get to it. Not easy to climb with a tray of food in your hands, would not suggest it.

Since this is the highest area, I have found it to be very windy at times. Plenty of room to sunbathe but not my favorite location for that reasson. Also you must take narrow steep stairs to get to it. Not easy to climb with a tray of food in your hands, would not suggest it.

LOL, I was only kidding about the food. :D

We used this are on the Oosterdam, and it can get a bit windy. I bring clothes pins to attach the towels to the deck chairs.

I have a new problem...I saw a Eurodam photo of that area, and the deck chairs are those hard old fashion looking deck chairs. Very uncomfortable for serious sunning, reading and napping, IMO.

Does the Eurodam have the deck area - with the web lounge chairs - that is just below the basketball area, but above the aft pool like the Oosterdam and Noordam?

To tell you the truth, since we had a retreat cabana, I never went to the aft pool area so I can't answer that question. I'm sure other Eurodam past cruisers can tho.....and you are right, that area you referenced in previous post does have the wood deck chairs.

No we didn't get hot, we had one that was open in the front (faced Lido pool). Also, they give you hand-held misters and water on ice every day. There is also an outdoor shower that you can use to cool off should you get too hot. I suppose it is possible to overheat if the weather was extreme.

I believe we paid $299 (for a 2-person cabana, 7 -days). Happy Sailing!

Thanks! Can you order these online, or do you wait for getting onboard.

I took a look at a cabana and the lounges are really close together/connected. I don't know if DH and I want to be THAT close when sunning/reading. lol :D

You have to call Ship Services to book one beforehand. If there are any available once you are onboard, you can pay by the day.

Is your lounge comment regarding the lounges in the cabana or in the outside sunbathing area? They aren't THAT close to together in the cabana. There is a small table inbetween that they put your ice bucket on which holds your chilled water bottles and aerosal water misters. Happy Sailing!

I am not sure where or what I saw, but the lounge was one piece with a two cushions attached. However, I saw another photo this afternoon that had two separate loungers. :confused:
We've never had a cabana, but here's a picture I took from the stairs. (Click to enlarge). Clearly the left one has two separate, but the right one looks like a one-piece, not two pushed together. Maybe you get a choice? :confused::confused:

2752728380099632937blJkvN_th.jpg

Ok, I'm confused now.

Is the entire Retreat area only for those who book Cabanas? I was really excited about all of the nice loungers in the Retreat area surrounding the shallow water area and the hot tub. I was looking forward to utilizing the bar there too. A cabana really isn't for me, as I am looking for sun. The website makes it look like this area is available to all. We will be on the Veendam, if it makes a difference.

Ok, I'm confused now.

Is the entire Retreat area only for those who book Cabanas? I was really excited about all of the nice loungers in the Retreat area surrounding the shallow water area and the hot tub. I was looking forward to utilizing the bar there too. A cabana really isn't for me, as I am looking for sun. The website makes it look like this area is available to all. We will be on the Veendam, if it makes a difference.

Yes the entire retreat area is for cabana purchasers only. PRIVATE. There is no shallow water area or hot tub near this spot so I don't know what you are talking about. Not on the Eurodam anyway.

Also, the loungers we had in our cabana were one person size and there were 2. You might have seen pictures of the family size cabana which has the 2-person, one lounger in it. Happy Sailing!

Yes the entire retreat area is for cabana purchasers only. PRIVATE. There is no shallow water area or hot tub near this spot so I don't know what you are talking about. Not on the Eurodam anyway.

Also, the loungers we had in our cabana were one person size and there were 2. You might have seen pictures of the family size cabana which has the 2-person, one lounger in it. Happy Sailing!

I was looking at the picture on the HAL website for the Veendam, so it may be a slightly different configuration on the Eurodam. It doesn't even mention Cabanas on there at all, but does say something about "Private resort style retreat" (paraphrased) I'm glad to know this in advance, rather than get all excited about that area, only to find out you had to pre-reserve a cabana.

I was looking at the picture on the HAL website for the Veendam, so it may be a slightly different configuration on the Eurodam. It doesn't even mention Cabanas on there at all, but does say something about "Private resort style retreat" (paraphrased) I'm glad to know this in advance, rather than get all excited about that area, only to find out you had to pre-reserve a cabana.
There's a HUGE difference between the Veendam and Eurodam Retreats! The only thing they have in common is that one word! The Veendam's is a public area where the Sea View pool used to be (sort of ... different deck now). No private (i.e. rented) cabanas on the V. There's a shallow pool, with loungers in it, and a bar. Also a big screen TV. Pretty poor idea, IMO, to give such different style areas the same name. :)

You might have seen pictures of the family size cabana which has the 2-person, one lounger in it.
Did you click on the pic that I posted in #36? That is not the family cabana in the corner that is apparently showing a one-for-two lounger.

There's a HUGE difference between the Veendam and Eurodam Retreats! The only thing they have in common is that one word! The Veendam's is a public area where the Sea View pool used to be (sort of ... different deck now). No private (i.e. rented) cabanas on the V. There's a shallow pool, with loungers in it, and a bar.

Thank You!!!!

I had totally forgotten that they are 2 completely different classes of ships!!!

Now I can go back to being excited about relaxing on a lounger at the Veendam Retreat!!!

Sorry for the confusion on my part...I'm new to all of this!

There's a HUGE difference between the Veendam and Eurodam Retreats! The only thing they have in common is that one word! The Veendam's is a public area where the Sea View pool used to be (sort of ... different deck now). No private (i.e. rented) cabanas on the V. There's a shallow pool, with loungers in it, and a bar. Also a big screen TV. Pretty poor idea, IMO, to give such different style areas the same name. :)

Did you click on the pic that I posted in #36? That is not the family cabana in the corner that is apparently showing a one-for-two lounger.

No I didn't look at your picture. I rented a retreat cabana on the Eurodam in Nov09 and all the smaller cabanas near me had 2 single separate loungers. That's what my comment was based on. I will look at your picture and see. Happy Sailing!

We've never had a cabana, but here's a picture I took from the stairs. (Click to enlarge). Clearly the left one has two separate, but the right one looks like a one-piece, not two pushed together. Maybe you get a choice? :confused::confused:

2752728380099632937blJkvN_th.jpg

Thanks for posting that photo. At least I know I am not going crazy! :D The two separate loungers are much more appealing.

This link...

http://www.signaturetravelnetwork.com/communication_center/files/Eurodam%20cabanas%202008%20eff%20%20071808.pdf

gives Retreat info and the opening pic is a family cabana... clearly 4 loungers and looks roomy to me. We have one of the family cabanas reserved for the entire week at the end of this month.

This link...

http://www.signaturetravelnetwork.com/communication_center/files/Eurodam%20cabanas%202008%20eff%20%20071808.pdf

gives Retreat info and the opening pic is a family cabana... clearly 4 loungers and looks roomy to me. We have one of the family cabanas reserved for the entire week at the end of this month.

We do too! Are you on the 2/27 cruise?

Archived