Eurodam - VT - and Retreat questions

kent4489

We have decided to book on the Eurodam (caribbean). After studying the deck plans, we like the VT cabins. I know they are just viewing balconies. I would appreciate feedback about this category, both good and bad. If we book this category, we want to book a Retreat cabana for the week. Do these sell-out quickly... I know I can check with HA, but they're closed right now and I'm suddenly anxious for information. We are traveling with another couple (2 cabins) and are interested in booking a family cabana. Again, I would appreciate any information someone cares to share.

We have decided to book on the Eurodam (caribbean). After studying the deck plans, we like the VT cabins. I know they are just viewing balconies. I would appreciate feedback about this category, both good and bad. If we book this category, we want to book a Retreat cabana for the week. Do these sell-out quickly... I know I can check with HA, but they're closed right now and I'm suddenly anxious for information. We are traveling with another couple (2 cabins) and are interested in booking a family cabana. Again, I would appreciate any information someone cares to share.

I have some photos with descriptions of VT, the Lido Cabanas and THE Retreat Cabanas that might help you out, to include how and who to contact to reserve one. Here is the link (just updated 2 days ago) http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Eurodam/index.html

One description I have not placed on the site about the Lido Cabanas is that while they look comfy and are, there is no air circulation (according to those who have used them)

Joanie

Thank you Joanie. I already had your site bookmarked and did use it in making our decision... nice work putting that all together.

Just hoping to get some input from anyone who has stayed in or seen the VT cabins. Also any info on the Retreat cabanas.

Thanks!

You will positively love the larger family cabana (only 2 of them). Both of these cabanas have plenty of air circulating as they are on the corners and receive air from both the front and side of the cabana. We loved having a quite place to relax and enjoy the views or just to take a nap. I would not wait too long to book as these 2 seem to be the most popular. Enjoy your cruise.

We loved the VT but we were on a 3 night cruise. We liked the color scheme which you can also find on Deck 10 Spa staterooms. The VT's are close to the retreat area.

Note that the stateroom is small and a large size person will not like this room as you need to crawel over the bed to get to the balcony.

Thanks Helen. I'm going to be so disappointed if the family cabana is not available... and it probably won't be only 9 weeks out. I called HA this morning, but they had no info on the cabanas. I have to wait until Monday to speak to special services. The wait is killing me. Do you know if the family ones are not available, can the divider be removed if we book two single ones, making it larger for all four of us? I don't want to book the cabins until I know we can get the cabanas.

Thank you Jade. When I spoke to HA this morning, they gave the sq. footage as larger than the other V cabins. I specificaly asked for sq. footage of the cabin only, not including the Verandah. Hmmm, well I have found that the information at reservations lines is not always accurate. We are not large people, so should be no problem. Our friends are even smaller. We really think we're going to like it.

I was on the Eurodam last month and booked a retreat cabana for the week.This was definitely the highlight of our cruise. The two butlers were fantastic. Fresh fruit was served every day. There was a lunch menu to choose from but if you didn't want anything on it they would willingly get anything else. Chocolate covered strawberries and decent champagne were served every afternoon and it was so quiet and peaceful up there. The ordinary cabanas only seat 2 people but the family ones are large enough for 4-6 people. The only drawback was that the pool is 2 decks down and there is no outside access but that didn;t stop us using the pool.

• 1 month later...

Hi Joanie, That's a great web site you have put together. I wanted to point out a mistake that I found, though.

When looking at the SA Suites, you have 7037 mislabeled as a VA.

VA 7037 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom Deck 7 Rotterdam Deck

I found this thread doing a search on the VT. I cannot understand what the advantage would be to have one of these cabins. Do you get to use the sundeck off of these cabins, free of charge? You are already losing a verandah, so why are these so much more than a regular varandah cabin? :confused:

Can anyone help me on the above question concerning the VT? :o

Also, has anyone ever booked a VH guarantee and ended up with a VT (has a French verandah - with no room for chairs!)? That's what my TA is warning us against.:( We don't want to pay another $200pp to book a dedicated verandah, but I think these VT's are ridiculous in that they are a higher category than the other V's with verandahs.

Sorry to be such a pest, but we need to make a decision. Thank you!

Can anyone help me on the above question concerning the VT? :o

... but I think these VT's are ridiculous in that they are a higher category than the other V's with verandahs.

Sorry to be such a pest, but we need to make a decision. Thank you!

When you asked this on another thread, I answered thusly at 9:17 -

Yes, but that is in part because they are "Spa" cabins. If you don't want the Spa amenities or tiny balcony, the only way you can absolutely sure of that is to book a VE or better. However, since there's only 10 VTs, and some are probably sold to people who want them or don't know about the tiny balconies, the odds are against being assigned one.

I think I'd rather have a VT than a VH, because I like the view from high up, and don't spend a lot of time sitting on my balcony anyway! Mostly I'm out there to take pictures in the morning or evening. :)

I think these VT's are ridiculous

I'm the original poster and I purposely chose the VT... I hope you are wrong about it being ridiculous. (Gee, could you be just a little more blunt?)

We previously had a veranda on the Zandaam and a huge deluxe suite veranda on the Amsterdam. We barely used them. We chose the VT specifically for the location to the Retreat where we have booked a large cabana for the week. To each his own. There are many choices.

I'm the original poster and I purposely chose the VT... I hope you are wrong about it being ridiculous. (Gee, could you be just a little more blunt?)

We previously had a veranda on the Zandaam and a huge deluxe suite veranda on the Amsterdam. We barely used them. We chose the VT specifically for the location to the Retreat where we have booked a large cabana for the week. To each his own. There are many choices.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be blunt, and certainly wasn't saying anyone was ridiculous for booking a VT! :( What I meant in "ridiculous", is that HAL is charging a higher price for a cabin that is billed as a cabin with a verandah, when in actuality it is just a viewing balcony. No offense meant to anyone that books one. ;)

If the cabin included rights to the Retreat, I could see the attraction, but to pay extra for the Retreat on top of the extra for the cabin when you are denied the relaxation of a private verandah, seems odd to me.

And you are correct..."To each his own. " ;)

jt - Thank you for your response here and on the other thread.

What I meant in "ridiculous", is that HAL is charging a higher price for a cabin that is billed as a cabin with a verandah, when in actuality it is just a viewing balcony.
Just a little side note: originally, these 10 cabins weren't going to get any balcony at all ... just floor-to-ceiling windows ... and be sold as Outsides. Some time during construction, somebody decided they could get more money for them with a Juliette balcony. Then the question was, where should they fit into the V range? Finally they decided that they were better than VH or VF ... but not better than VE!

On the Nieuw Amsterdam, those 10 cabins will have a balcony large enough for chairs, and be classed as a VQ, above all other Veranda cabins. Whether the balconies will be as large as the ones on the VQs on deck 10 remains to be seen.

That is interesting! I think we are going to chance it. I'll have to check the deck plans again and see where the VT's are located in relation to getting to the public (free sun deck.) :D
It doesn't show on the deck plans, but there are plenty of loungers in the sun up on top of the Crow's Nest. You go up the stairs between the VT cabins and the Retreat. That is, just outside the "gates" of the Retreat.

Depending on which way the ship is facing, and the time of day, you can usually find some shady corners up there too.

Thanks for pointing that out. :) DH and I were looking at the deck plan last night and wondered if the Crow's Nest/Cafe area and the VT's/Retreat areas had taken over that space that we so loved on the Oosterdam. We prefer the sun and why we are not interested in the Retreat. Need a little Vitamin D after this snowy winter. :D

We prefer the sun and why we are not interested in the Retreat. Need a little Vitamin D after this snowy winter. :D
Actually there's quite a few loungers (and IIRC some tables and chairs) in the center of the Retreat area, out in the sun! You can alternate between shade and sun there. :) (However, that center area is still not for free use by people who do not have a cabana rented.)

Kent, You made a great choice. These cabins are perfect for anyone who has a cabana. I hope you were able to get that family size corner cabana it was truly special. Not sure if my friend Jayson is back up there working in the retreat or if he is still working down on the pool deck cabanas, but if you do run into him at the retreat tell him Helen & Joe send him our best wishes. Happy sailing!

Remember that the retreat cabanas are only open from 9am-5pm so a stateroom balcony is handy for the rest of the time. We had a balcony and a retreat cabana and used both. Breakfast on the stateroom balcony, lunch in the retreat cabana, cocktails and moon light gazing from the stateroom balcony at night. We enjoyed both options. Happy Sailing!

Ugh! Just when I was feeling OK if we were to get a VT, someone has to mention breakfast on the verandah. :D That's something we do at least once each cruise. Well, guess we can have it delivered and then take it up a deck and eat with the birds. ;)

Is there somewhere I can see photos of this deck above the Crows Nest?

Archived