Diving With Diabetes

10X

Is anyone out there diving who has diabetes?

I was diagnosed with diabetes in May 2009 and did not go in the water all summer. I have been reading up on it and know you can dive but it appears to be more trouble than it's worth. I've been thinking of selling off all of my diving and underwater photography equipment and resort to snorkeling.

I would appreciate knowing about your experiences with diving with diabetes. Thank you.

I have Type 2 diabetes which is controlled by medication.My doctor is a diver and has cleared me to dive.He sees no reason for me to quit enjoying a sport I love.I don't do anything special--just make sure I feel good and eat regularly when diving.I stay well hydrated-drink lots of G-2 gatoraid.I regularly do 150 feet plus solo dives with no problems.I just lie "bigtime" when signing the releases--per my doctor's instructions. I know the risk and am willing to accept them.

First, I would not lie "big time" per your doctor's instructions. Why?? You can say you have diabetes with a note from your doctor releasing you. Appartently, he is not willing to do that. Should make you think a bit why.

As an operator, we have had one near incident where a diabetic diver (who lied) go into a low sugar issue at depth. He was glazed over, and we do have well trained crew and they knew what to do to bring him safely to the surface and back on the boat. It was then he told us the truth. I can only re-assure you that my crew is top-notch, but other's may not be. It would be for your own safety to tell them ahead of time of your condition so they may be aware and ready to respond accordingly.

I'd talk to your doctor again. And as someone else suggested, ask DAN (Divers Alert Network).

I have Diabetes also and didn't even get certified until Feb of this year. I'm 51 and it's something I've always wanted to do. My problem isn't hyperglycemia but hypo so the Doctor says as long as my count stays down, I'm good to go. He told me that dive operators are a lot more concerned with folks whose sugar goes to low and might be on the bottom when it does. Also, dive operators don't carry anything for diabetics so a lot of times they will say you can't go if you're diabetic.

I think that two opinions are better than one. Don't risk anything but on the other hand, don't make any drastic decisions on selling all of your equipment.:)

Any diver that does not inform a dive operator of any health issue such as diabetes is putting him/herself as well as the divemaster in a potentially dangerous situation. As a divemaster myself, I don't want to risk my life needlessly to save someone from a situation that could have been avoided through honest communication.

Dive operators have us sign so many waivers in order to protect themselves from lawsuits resulting from someone else's poor judgment.

A doctor's clearance to dive removes the decision from the operator and places it in the hands of a medically qualified person who better knows the diver and their condition. It also protects the dive operator in the event that something does happen to you. That anyone feels that it is better to lie "big time" to a dive operator rather than get medically cleared to dive is a sign of gross irresponsibility. If you are not confident that your doctor will medically clear you to dive, don't you have a reasonable expectation as to why said doctor will not do so?

Maybe your doctor knows better than you what the state of your diabetes is.

I hope for your families sake that you never have an "incident" while diving. In our litigious society, that can lead to some really bad things.

I regularly do 150 feet plus solo dives with no problems.

You must spend quite a bit of time in a decompression chamber then. As 150 foot dives are outside of recreational diving limits. Plus diving solo is also a big no-no in my book. Yes, there are specialized "solo diver" certifications, but having to carry 2 of everything is not my idea of fun.

I don't like casting doubts on what people say to be true, so if you are indeed a diabetic who "regularly" dives to 150 feet, I don't think I would ever want to be on a dive boat with you.

Much like the middle aged fellow I met once who assured me that he had been diving since the age of 16. I had no reason to doubt him until he put his gear together backwards. He also surfaced from 70 feet by inflating his BC and shooting to the surface like a Polaris missile. Unfortunately he did not hit the surface......he hit the bottom of the boat, leaving a pretty big gash in his scalp, not to mention the potential for decompression problems.

There are many types of divers out there, know your limits and do not exceed them, for fate always has a way of showing you how foolish that can be.

Any diver that does not inform a dive operator of any health issue such as diabetes is putting him/herself as well as the divemaster in a potentially dangerous situation. As a divemaster myself, I don't want to risk my life needlessly to save someone from a situation that could have been avoided through honest communication.

Dive operators have us sign so many waivers in order to protect themselves from lawsuits resulting from someone else's poor judgment.

A doctor's clearance to dive removes the decision from the operator and places it in the hands of a medically qualified person who better knows the diver and their condition. It also protects the dive operator in the event that something does happen to you. That anyone feels that it is better to lie "big time" to a dive operator rather than get medically cleared to dive is a sign of gross irresponsibility. If you are not confident that your doctor will medically clear you to dive, don't you have a reasonable expectation as to why said doctor will not do so?

Maybe your doctor knows better than you what the state of your diabetes is.

I hope for your families sake that you never have an "incident" while diving. In our litigious society, that can lead to some really bad things.

To clear up a few things:

1: As I stated I have minor type 2 diabetes (controlled by medication) and my doctor (who is a diver) has cleared me to dive.We are both long term DAN members and have read many article on diving with diabetes.My doctor and I know if we check off that we have medical problems on dive releases what that is going to entail---just easier to check "No" and not deal with the hassles.

2: As far as endangering others, I certainly understand the concerns.As I stated most all of my diving is done "Solo" (another big taboo subject).I trust me and will just put myself at risk.It seems most of the rescues I have been involved in were rescuing "nuts" I got buddied up with on some charter.Having two "nuts" both run out of air on you on a 138 feet dive will make you a "SOLO" diver! On charters I meet with the DM's and ask to dive solo---most of the time they let me just follow the group.On our regular dive boat, they know my condition.Most of the divers on this boat are "techies" and don't want to do my "simple little 150 foot dives"anyway.They are off to 250 and beyond.

3: Yes, I do know the risk and I accept them to enjoy a sport I love. My wife is well aware of the risk (guess that is why she won't dive) and understands the stuff we do at the lake.My fellow divers and I are well trained, have good and redundant gear, and know the risk we are taking.Problems (medical or other) on a 170 foot solo dive can have a "bad" outcome.So can driving to the lake or mowing the yard.I feel you just have to manage the risk and stop little problems before they become big problems.

4: I have been diving for 10 years and have logged over 500 dives. At least 300 were solo dives of 100 feet or more.I am by no means an expert (those are the "world class" tech and cave divers I dive with at the lake) and believe that "A good diver is always learning"--- from Dive Training Magazine.

I appreciate everyone's concerns and advice. Happy diving, everyone.

Thank you all for the advice. I have Type 2 diabetes and it is controlled with diet, exercise and medication. Since May 2009 I have taken my A1C test from 11.4 to 6.0 and my twice per day blood tests average less than 120. I have had 2-3 incidents where I let my blood sugar get too low and that resulted in a case of the shakes. A quick intake of sugar cured it quickly but that's tough to do below the surface.

I think I'll hold off on selling my gear for now and contact my local dive shop for info on a local doctor who might be qualified to clear me for diving. If cleared I'll just make sure my blood sugar is a little elevated before any dive and make sure that it doesn't get too low between dives.

As for the dive masters/operators, I have no intention of putting either you or me at risk. I'll be honest.

Thanks again for all the help.

First, I would not lie "big time" per your doctor's instructions. Why?? You can say you have diabetes with a note from your doctor releasing you. Appartently, he is not willing to do that. Should make you think a bit why.

As an operator, we have had one near incident where a diabetic diver (who lied) go into a low sugar issue at depth. He was glazed over, and we do have well trained crew and they knew what to do to bring him safely to the surface and back on the boat. It was then he told us the truth. I can only re-assure you that my crew is top-notch, but other's may not be. It would be for your own safety to tell them ahead of time of your condition so they may be aware and ready to respond accordingly.

I'd talk to your doctor again. And as someone else suggested, ask DAN (Divers Alert Network).

Thanks for your concern and advice Laura. I guess I was wrong to say I lie "Big Time" on the release.Maybe I just tell a little fib.I have mild type 2 diabetes and hypertension.Both are easily under control with medication.I know if I mention these problems some operators will refuse to let me dive.My doctor is a diver and has cleared me to dive and work as a DM.He just feels it is easier for me to check "No" than have to produce a release at every port and I agree with him.He told me that he does the same thing.I don't condone this for everyone and I understand the operators are trying to prevent accidents or is it cover their butts?

It is nice to know you have such a professional crew on your boat.I have ran in to a few operators that were down right scarey.

I don't like casting doubts on what people say to be true, so if you are indeed a diabetic who "regularly" dives to 150 feet, I don't think I would ever want to be on a dive boat with you.

Oh no, another one on the long list of folks who won't dive with me !

Oh no, another one on the long list of folks who won't dive with me !

IF you are taking risks and exceeding your training, then why should anyone want to?

As a divemaster you have a responsibility to uphold certain standards. By not doing so, you do a disservice to those who dive with you.

You refer to "nuts" that run out of air at 138 feet. Yet who is the "nut" that took them that deep?

No, I would not dive with you, nor would I recommend that you take any students out either.

Thank you all for the advice. I have Type 2 diabetes and it is controlled with diet, exercise and medication. Since May 2009 I have taken my A1C test from 11.4 to 6.0 and my twice per day blood tests average less than 120. I have had 2-3 incidents where I let my blood sugar get too low and that resulted in a case of the shakes. A quick intake of sugar cured it quickly but that's tough to do below the surface.

I think I'll hold off on selling my gear for now and contact my local dive shop for info on a local doctor who might be qualified to clear me for diving. If cleared I'll just make sure my blood sugar is a little elevated before any dive and make sure that it doesn't get too low between dives.

As for the dive masters/operators, I have no intention of putting either you or me at risk. I'll be honest.

Thanks again for all the help.

You should not have any problems. You might want to go to DAN and find a local doctor that is familiar with diving. He/she will be more familiar with the physiological affects that diving exerts on your body and can better judge how you will be affected.

I don't know of any dive operators that have refused to take anyone out as long as they are up front and have the proper clearance.

Deceiving them not only puts you at risk, because they are unaware of your condition, it also puts those diving with you at risk as they may be called upon to rescue you in the event that something does happen. Saying that you are "aware of the risks and accept them" does not negate you of that basic responsibility.

I was diagnosed with diabetes in May 2009 and did not go in the water all summer. I have been reading up on it and know you can dive but it appears to be more trouble than it's worth. I've been thinking of selling off all of my diving and underwater photography equipment and resort to snorkeling.

I would appreciate knowing about your experiences with diving with diabetes. Thank you.

I have had Type II Diabetes since 1997. I know that being diagnosed with it is very difficult and it definitely changes your life in many ways. However, Diabetes doesn't have to take away the things in life that you love, you may just have to make adjustments. I'm glad to hear that you don't have to depend on insulin to control your diabetes because diving while taking insulin would make things more difficult and increase the associated risk even further. But once again, it wouldn't necessarily make diving impossible.

I think the most important thing to do when you have any significant medical issues is to find a doctor that has a lot of knowledge of diving and is a diver themselves. As the other posters have mentioned, DAN (Divers Alert Network) is a very good resource for any medical related dive issues. You can get a lot of information from the internet, but if you call them directly, they can give you contact info for physicians in your area with direct diving knowledge. That is just so important.

When I decided to take up scuba diving just a few month ago, I had to do a lot of research and contact a lot of doctors before I was able to get the needed authorizations (for Diabetes plus other issues unrelated to Diabetes). I can honestly say that I went through an awful lot to get the physicians releases. I saw numerous doctors, contacted PADI, DAN, and my local dive shop. It was actually our local dive shop that hooked me up with a doctor that works very closely with DAN physicians. I actually made an appointment with him and while I was in his office, he went and contacted DAN to discuss my case with them while I was still there. Like I said, I went through a lot to get there, but, it was worth everything I went through to do it. I was absolutely up front and honest with everyone I spoke with because I wanted to dive safely and not put anyone else in danger either. And now, diving is one of the best parts of my life.

Deciding whether to go on and dive with Diabetes is absolutely something that you have to decide for yourself. In your initital post, you wrote that you've done a lot of reading and it seemed like diving with Diabetes might not be worth the extra trouble you'll have to go through to do it. I was glad to hear by your last post that you've decided to hold off on the decision to sell off all of your dive equipment and underwater photography equipment. I can tell you, when you are first diagnosed with Diabetes, it feels like it is going to control your whole life. But, you just can't let it control you. You don't have to let it take away the things you love. Give it some time. It takes a lot of getting used to even without adding diving in on top of it all.

The very best thing you can do for yourself is research, research, research everything there is concerning Diabetes. Learn everything you can so every decision you make is educated. And, I'm not just talking about where it revolves around diving. You can take classes, you can buy books, you can do a lot of research on the internet,etc. And, if at all possible, get your significant other and all of your close family members involved so they can help you deal with it. It is so important to really understand everything you can about how food, medicines, exercise, stress, illness, and other factors will impact your glucose levels at any given time. It sounds like you've really taken a step in the right direction by getting your A1C to come down such a long way in a relatively short period of time. It sounds like you've had some experience with low glucose levels and the side effects you'll feel too. It is very important to be able to recognize the signs such as the shakes, possibly sweating, dizziness, etc. And it's very important for those around you to be able to recognize the signs in case you don't. But, as you've said, dealing with low glucose levels when you're underwater and diving is going to be much more difficult than it would be if you were not underwater. That's why it is so important that you make sure that your dive buddy is fully aware of your Diabetes and that you have a plan in place in case you start feeling like you're crashing or if possibly you don't recognize it but someone else does. I would consider getting a medical alert bracelet to wear while diving that would alert medical personnel that you have Diabetes just in case they need to take quick steps to help you. One of the first things we learned during our Open Water Diver course was that you should have a spare parts kit with you in case of emergencies. You should probably make sure you add extra test strips to that kit as well as glucose tablets (which is a good idea to keep with you at all times even when not diving). By all means, whenever diving, always have emergency phone numbers of the closest medical facilities just in case you should find yourself in need of assistance. It is always best to make sure your dive buddy is fully aware of your medical conditions and then make sure that the dive operators you're diving with are aware of the situation just in case they need to deal with it. One thing that my husband/dive buddy and I always do is make sure we have some hand signals that we can use underwater should we feel like we're having problems. It might be a good idea to come up with a signal for showing that you're feeling that you're blood glucose is too low. That way you can start making your way to the surface and still have plenty of time for a safety stop if necessary. And, absolutely, just as you and your buddy will always have certain things you do as part of your buddy (safety) check right before each dive, I would add a glucose level check to that safety check so that you (and your buddy) know exactly where you're starting. And it certainly wouldn't hurt to do a glucose check right after you finish each dive just so you can figure out if you have any significant shifts in glucose levels while diving (just nornal change such as you might see from exercise, etc.). Just remember that everybody's body reacts differently and your body can react differently given the exact same set of circumstances as you experienced previously. Sometimes, you'll just be puzzled because your glucose levels will have gone in a completely different direction than you would have expected. Just try to be in the habit of testing often and always err on the side of safety. I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how things go.

Ok 10X,

I will try to answer your question again.Yes, I dive with diabetes and hypertension.I hope your medical professional clears you to continue enjoying our wonderful sport.

NUFF SAID----Happy diving everyone.

I was certified back in the 80's, then in 2003 I developed Type 1 diabetes. My endo says it is fine to dive. My wife's only concern is if I would get low Blood sugar while diving (I almost never do when not diving),so she found me a 1-2 oz tube of cake frosting, real small fits into my BC pocket, didn't explode or anything below 100 ft. Because most diabetics can tell when they are getting low and this you could just open remove your reg for 2 seconds and squeeze the frosting into your mouth, I have never had to use it.

I also make sure before I dive I have a snack (longer acting carbs like cheese/peanut butter crackers)or something to raise my bloodsugar a bit higher than my target. Like 30-50 mg/dl so i have a little extra to burn while diving (excersising). After 30-50 dives a year in both warm and cold water, never had a problem. It is just part of your dive plan. And it looks like I will be doing more diving now that I got my wife certified last summer and she loves it.

I would say start small, do some shallow dives to test out how it affects you since diabetes affects everyone in different ways.

And we do not need leactures on diving depths and solo diving. Most people who dive to 100-200 feet do it not to go deep, but we live in places where there is nothing else to see. Lake Michigan is where we dive the most, other than shipwrecks all there is to see is sand, no coral or anything. So if you live where you can see fish and coral in 20 feet and don't need a 20-40 minute boat ride to the site, you are lucky.

I was certified back in the 80's, then in 2003 I developed Type 1 diabetes. My endo says it is fine to dive. My wife's only concern is if I would get low Blood sugar while diving (I almost never do when not diving),so she found me a 1-2 oz tube of cake frosting, real small fits into my BC pocket, didn't explode or anything below 100 ft. Because most diabetics can tell when they are getting low and this you could just open remove your reg for 2 seconds and squeeze the frosting into your mouth, I have never had to use it.

I also make sure before I dive I have a snack (longer acting carbs like cheese/peanut butter crackers)or something to raise my bloodsugar a bit higher than my target. Like 30-50 mg/dl so i have a little extra to burn while diving (excersising). After 30-50 dives a year in both warm and cold water, never had a problem. It is just part of your dive plan. And it looks like I will be doing more diving now that I got my wife certified last summer and she loves it.

I would say start small, do some shallow dives to test out how it affects you since diabetes affects everyone in different ways.

And we do not need leactures on diving depths and solo diving. Most people who dive to 100-200 feet do it not to go deep, but we live in places where there is nothing else to see. Lake Michigan is where we dive the most, other than shipwrecks all there is to see is sand, no coral or anything. So if you live where you can see fish and coral in 20 feet and don't need a 20-40 minute boat ride to the site, you are lucky.

Obviously some divers do feel the need to lecture and throw insults at their fellow divers.I have no idea why. Maybe it makes them feel important or reasures them of their abilities.

Before I was certified I would meet divers and go WOW, that is so exciting.I guess I still get that feeling and love to discuss our sport.I have a high level of respect for the DM's, Instructors,Technical, and Cave divers of our sport.They have devoted lots of time, energy, and most likely money to achieve their certifications and their experience levels.I salute each and every one of you.You are the ambassadors of our exciting underwater world.

As much as I would like to "fire back" at some of the post made towards me, I believe that would be very unprofessional and childish.

Thank you JCM, for your advice and good ideas.I talked to one of my friends who manages the local dive shop earlier today. He told me he had two insulin-dependent technical divers on the boat last weekend.He told me that they did their deep dives with absolutely no problems.Thankfully my condition sems to be under controll by just taking a couple of pills a day.

Happy New Year ---hope everyone gets to do a lot of diving in 2010 !

Obviously some divers do feel the need to lecture and throw insults at their fellow divers.I have no idea why. Maybe it makes them feel important or reasures them of their abilities.

Maybe you felt being taught not to exceed the limits of your training was a "lecture" too.

I do not "lecture" or throw insults. Nor do I exceed my depth limits when I am leading a dive. You may not feel that to do so is irresponsible because you are with your "world class" technical dive buddies, but I doubt that PADI, NAUI, SSI or any other dive organization would agree with you.

Anyone who considers the effects of nitrogen narcosis as being "fun" should be avoided.

Enjoy your deep dives, but you really should refrain from giving anyone any advice based on what you have posted here. Before you or anyone else thinks that I am on my "high horse," you should maybe go back and reread your "advice" and rethink what you have advocated others to do.

Have a joyous New Years celebration, but go easy on the nitrogen. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

You can go to Scubamed.com for many answers to medical/diving questions. Dr. Bove is a cardiologist at Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia and has written many books on diving and medical conditions. I saw him on a consult after a cardiac issue and he helped a lot, to the point of signing my medical form to dive again. He answers questions on his site and many questions are already answered if you check the listed questions. He will answer your specific question if you email him. This is a great medical resource, along with DAN, for divers.

Don't get discouraged it's going to take you a few years before you get into a stable routine. This is especially so if you are loosing weight and exercising more as part of your treatment.

Archived